Windows 10: "Rogue" background processes

Discus and support "Rogue" background processes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Launch an app, like Calculator, and it appears under the APPS section in Task Manager, but not as a background process. Close it and it vanishes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by borgus, Oct 26, 2015.

1. borgus Win User

"Rogue" background processes

Launch an app, like Calculator, and it appears under the APPS section in Task Manager, but not as a background process. Close it and it vanishes.

Yet, randomly, often after SLEEP, an app (likely from Windows store) shows up as a background process. Why?
    Is there a way to prevent this?

Is there a method that can create a unique event log entry when a specific background process has started?

Firewall blocking has no effect, so the process is likely internal. The intent is not to prevent the app itself from running.

:)

borgus, Oct 26, 2015
  2. borate Win User

Clean boot does not isolate the problem, which is evident on other W10 PCs as well.

Yes, the background task - in this case, Calculator - can be ended...but the object is to prevent it from starting.

Another tested calculator, from Windows Store, behaved similarly. When store-supplied apps show up as

background processes (not when they are actually being used) they cause
    keyboard shortcuts to lag.

There are no viruses or malware on this machine.

borate, Oct 26, 2015
  3. "Rogue" background processes

Hi Borate,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please answer the following questions:

1. What exactly is the app that shows up under background processes?

2. Are you able to right click and end the task?

I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Clean Boot

Place your computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists.

Click the link below for steps on how to perform a clean boot.

How to Perform a Clean Boot? (Applies to Windows 10)

Note: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot "to reset computer as usual.

Method 2: Microsoft Safety Scanner

Run the
    Microsoft Safety Scanner
    and check if it resolves the issue.

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection.

Please take a backup of all the data to an external hard disk before performing a scan as it could result in data loss.

Do get back to us with the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 26, 2015
Thema:

1. "Rogue" background processes - Similar Threads - Rogue background processes

2. background processes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    background processes: what does that mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-processes/4f607cd7-afbd-4fe9-bccf-b58e7979732d
  3. background processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    background processes: what does that mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-processes/4f607cd7-afbd-4fe9-bccf-b58e7979732d
  4. Background Process

Background Process: With all the programs closed in my windows 11 I get 110 processes running. However I've seen some people with only 25 or lower, I've tried everything to get that low amount of processes running but can't find out how....
  5. Background Processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background Processes: My download speeds are slow. I read some stuff and it says that it could be because of background processes. I currently have 115 background processes and it seems like a bit much from what I see others have. I dont know what to end or how to lower the number. Any answers...
  6. Background Processes

Background Processes: My download speeds are slow. I read some stuff and it says that it could be because of background processes. I currently have 115 background processes and it seems like a bit much from what I see others have. I dont know what to end or how to lower the number. Any answers...
  7. Games being minimised by unknown/rogue process

Games being minimised by unknown/rogue process: HelloSo, the past 7/8 weeks, I’ve been trying to track an issue to no avail, which causes a cmd prompt to flash up for a split second, minimising games, before disappearing without a trace. I downloaded a process logger to try and catch what is causing it, which lead me to a...
  8. background processes

in Windows 10 Customization
    background processes: Hello, I have two questions about my startup processes, first, I wanted to know if its recommended to disable Windows security notification cause I'm using AVG anti-virus and I'm not sure if it's required to be enabled at my windows startup. Screenshot:...
  9. Background Processes

Background Processes: I just opened my pc and opened taskmanager without opening other apps to see how many programs are running in background. There were more than 50. i removed some apps which i knew i installed and reduced it. Next time again just after booting pc problem remained same. My pc...
  10. Background Processes

Background Processes: Below is a list of programs I found, that were responsible for a severe lag in my laptop, 1) Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 - en-us 2) HP Support Assistant 3) Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 4) Realtek Bluetooth Driver 5) HP System Event Utility 6) HP...