Windows 10: Rogue DHCP Server is running in a VM

Discus and support Rogue DHCP Server is running in a VM in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am experiencing a problem where Fing is reporting more than 1DHCP server. When I run ipconfig /all it reports that the DHCP server is 192.168.58.254... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bowlsys, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Bowlsys Win User

Rogue DHCP Server is running in a VM

I am experiencing a problem where Fing is reporting more than 1DHCP server. When I run ipconfig /all it reports that the DHCP server is 192.168.58.254 , my net is 192.168.0.x.
    The strange thing is that I appear not to have any VMs running (VM Worstation 15 on another machine)

How can I find out more details and shutdown this VM/DHCP server?

Any help appreciated

:)

Bowlsys, Mar 2, 2020

2. Video Card for A Server running VMs .... (new to me)

Umm if you run VMs for security you'd better be placing those on another VLAN or else it will spread to other machines on the subnet! Get a router that supports VLANs or you can look up alternative firmware for your existing router that works.

I recommend DDWRT or Tomato... Hyper-V is easy to map a VM to another VLAN!

One limitation of consumer Hyper-V-->It needs SRIOV or VT-D support for HV to work but the Server releases don't need SRIOV or SLAT as well

Also here's more differences in client hyper-v vs server hyper-v:
    There are some features included in Hyper-V on server that are not included in Client Hyper-V. These include the following:

• The Remote FX capability to virtualize GPUs

• Live migration of virtual machines from one host to another

• Hyper-V Replica

• Virtual Fibre Channel

• 32-bit SR-IOV networking

• Shared .vhdx

remixedcat, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    The DHCP Server service terminated without a valid clue

Hi Chhetri Suman,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol): Every device on TCP/IP needs unique IP address to access the network. DHCP controls the allotment of IP addresses. However, if
    you can access internet, DHCP should work fine. But if there is some issue with the internet, you can follow these steps and resolve the DHCP error.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and
      R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Control and hit enter.
    3. Click on Network and internet > click on Change adapter settings
      on the left pane.

Rogue DHCP Server is running in a VM 09619031-1f13-4ca0-a6dd-259b95a37c89?upload=true.png

4. Right click on the Ethernet connection you are using and select properties.

5. Select Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4) and click on properties.

6. Check the following radio boxes:

• Obtain an IP address automatically
    • Obtain DNS server address automatically

Rogue DHCP Server is running in a VM 234a8777-d812-4c80-9703-8d6b427e49d2?upload=true.jpg

7. Now windows 10 will retrieve the IP address automatically.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Luccan R Win User

Can I use a VM as a DNS Server for the machine running the VM itself?

I have been toying with the idea of using a VM as a DNS Server and DC.

However, seeing that it is good practice to ensure that the DNS Server is supposed to be up and running before any other machine in the network, is this configuration possible?

Ideally, the machine running the VM should be part of the network using the VM as its DNS.

If it is, any special handling that I need to pay attention to?

Many Thanks in advance.

Luccan R, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Rogue DHCP Server is running in a VM - Similar Threads - Rogue DHCP Server

2. Can’t connect to DHCP server?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t connect to DHCP server?: Hello. I hope you all are well.I own an HP Envy x360 with Windows 11. No Ethernet cable port so purely wireless.For the past week I have been unable to stay connected to the internet. The errors I’ve been getting is “Can’t reach DHCP server” or “Can’t reach default gateway”....
  3. Hyper-V VM running WinPE cannot acquire DHCP address

Hyper-V VM running WinPE cannot acquire DHCP address: We are setting up the MDT to image Windows 11 machines. I have a Windows Server 2016 physical host running MDT v6.3.8456.1000, Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit v10.1.22621.1 and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit Windows Preinstallation Environment Add-ons...
  4. Hyper-V VM running WinPE cannot acquire DHCP address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM running WinPE cannot acquire DHCP address: We are setting up the MDT to image Windows 11 machines. I have a Windows Server 2016 physical host running MDT v6.3.8456.1000, Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit v10.1.22621.1 and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit Windows Preinstallation Environment Add-ons...
  5. Cannot reach the DHCP server.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reach the DHCP server.: I have tried restarting the network adaptor, modem and PC. Other devices connects to my wifi except my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reach-the-dhcp-server/fc7113ae-1299-4266-bef6-c15546f1032a
  6. Cannot reach the DHCP server.

Cannot reach the DHCP server.: I have tried restarting the network adaptor, modem and PC. Other devices connects to my wifi except my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reach-the-dhcp-server/fc7113ae-1299-4266-bef6-c15546f1032a
  7. DHCP failover from one Windows Server VM running 2012 R2 to another Windows Server VM...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DHCP failover from one Windows Server VM running 2012 R2 to another Windows Server VM...: Old Dell Host with VM server running all AD domain services and configured as Primary DC. VM runs Windows Server 2012 R2. Server name SRV-MASTER. IP xxx.xxx.20.4New HP host with VM server. Setup AD Domain Services role and configured to add the computer to the Windows domain...
  8. DHCP failover from one Windows Server VM running 2012 R2 to another Windows Server VM...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DHCP failover from one Windows Server VM running 2012 R2 to another Windows Server VM...: Old Dell Host with VM server running all AD domain services and configured as Primary DC. VM runs Windows Server 2012 R2. Server name SRV-MASTER. IP xxx.xxx.20.4New HP host with VM server. Setup AD Domain Services role and configured to add the computer to the Windows domain...
  9. DHCP failover from one Windows Server VM running 2012 R2 to another Windows Server VM...

10. DHCP server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DHCP server: Ik ben al een poosje op zoek naar een DHCP server, hoe kom ik daaraan? En welke kan ik veilig downloaden of staat hij al op Windows10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dhcp-server/7a23e6b2-1268-43bd-a917-9c41ece58bb2