Windows 10: Roll back to or update systm to specific date - Arch Linux VM's

Discus and support Roll back to or update systm to specific date - Arch Linux VM's in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I know a load here also experiment with Linux VM's Arch Linux makes it really simple and automatic via the pacman package manager- if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Roll back to or update systm to specific date - Arch Linux VM's

Hi there
    I know a load here also experiment with Linux VM's

Arch Linux makes it really simple and automatic via the pacman package manager- if updating your system has broken it or if you only want to update the system to a specific date since something has broken it then it's a really simple thing to do (saves re-installing the whole kybosh over and over again).

First edit the file mirrorlist in /etc/pacman.d so only this entry remains uncommented (or create this entry and comment everything else by a # in col 1). Should also work on Manjaro and other Arch derivatives that use pacman package manager.

e.g I want to use 14 Jan as kernel 5.10.7 is the latest one where I don't have any Sound problems running say Windows VM's (you can run 2nd level VM's) either on Arch Linux as a host or as a 1st level VM.
    ##
    ## Arch Linux repository mirrorlist
    ## Generated on 2021-02-06
    ##
    ### Arch Linux repository mirrorlist
    ### Created to downgrade to Nov 10th 2020 or whenever get the relevant date from the archive
    Server=https://archive.archlinux.org/repos/2021/01/14/$repo/os/$arch

So to DOWNGRADE simpy as root or sudo type pacman -Syyuu

or to UPGRADE to that date and no later if your system was last updated BEFORE that date type pacman -Syu

Then reboot. The package manager handles all the dependencies etc quite automatically -- simple process.

When you finally want to resume normal upgrading comment out the archive server and uncomment your appropriate mirror(s).

Stuff you install manually though has to be dealt with manually - with pacman there's almost no need ever to install anything manually - it's the easiest package manager ever IMO.

(C'mon windows how about something like that too - I know there's history etc but it's more complex and doesn't always work).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021

2. Arch is for Linux Power Users

Wow you really have bad luck.

I've made VMs of Centos, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint and various other distros and I've never experienced those issues.
    Installing drivers is horrible though. *Sad

Arch is for Linux Power Users.

lehnerus2000, Feb 12, 2021
  3. Overclocking in VM using Linux

If I run Arch, and then use a VM to use windows to run tests. If I use software overclocks rather than going into the BIOS, will the overclocks go away once the VM is turned off and I'm back to my normal Arch desktop?

Thanks

BurntWookie, Feb 12, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts

Hi there

@Hopachi

If creating Arch Linux as a VM or even as a Host when partitioning the Virtual disk and using the ZEN installer

Note the following : (same method whether operating on Virtual Disks or creating a REAL HOST).

If using EFI first create partition table (use gparted and select device in the dropdown menu - its available in the zen installer GUI) and select gpt and then you need to create a /boot partition formatted fat32 and select the flags (also use gparted) to boot,msp.

If using MBR also create the partition table as with EFI (again use gparted) but select msdos . You will also still need a /boot partition formatted fat32 and simply select flags as boot.

Then answer yes to use separate boot partition and select the partition.

Also answer yes to "do you want to install the boot loader" and answer with the relevant device (not not the partition nr e.g /dev/sda1 but the device where the boot partition is located e.g /dev/sda

Now it should all work.

Note the question do you want to install the boot loader comes up later in the install process.

Also select use separate / and /home partitions and also separate swap partition -- use gparted to create those.

If you want the KDE desktop choose SDDM as the display manager, for GNOME choose GDM , for others take your pick. This question will appear just before the actual install process begins. I prefer the KDE desktop (KDE Plasma) but like all these things it's everyone's own choice.

If using KDE after ist boot go into the system settings and change the login screen from the default - otherwise you won't be able to choose secondary users for login or login as root.

Here's my system SSD disk running on a NAS server - Host is Arch Linux on 256GB SSD.

Roll back to or update systm to specific date - Arch Linux VM's [​IMG]

How to alter the login screen :

Roll back to or update systm to specific date - Arch Linux VM's [​IMG]

(the Get login screens gives a load more -- you can also change wallpapers, splash screen etc etc).

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Roll back to or update systm to specific date - Arch Linux VM's - Similar Threads - Roll update systm

2. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    arch linux installation failed in wsl.: I was trying to install arch in wsl.I downloaded arch.zip from github.then i double pressed the arch.exe and it started to installing.But suddenly load-shedding happen and my pc turned off.after a few seconds when i again trying to install arch then it gives me this...
  3. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    arch linux installation failed in wsl.: I was trying to install arch in wsl.I downloaded arch.zip from github.then i double pressed the arch.exe and it started to installing.But suddenly load-shedding happen and my pc turned off.after a few seconds when i again trying to install arch then it gives me this...
  4. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Bluetooth not working after removing Arch Linux

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth not working after removing Arch Linux: Hello, Today I decided to switch back to Windows from Arch Linux due to some things not working. Now that I installed everything, Bluetooth doesn't work. I tried the tips and couldn't make it work. A "Bluetooth Device" doesn't exist in Device Manager. Before switching to...
  6. Dual boot with Arch Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot with Arch Linux: I have windows 10 installed on a 1tb ssd booting in UEFI BIOS mode. I want to install arch linux on a seperate 120gb ssd. Ive previously installed arch a few times so i’m familar with its installation. However, i cannot seem to find any clear information on how to be able to...
  7. Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts: Hi folks for those who want to try Arch Linux as a VM (or even as a Host) but have always felt a bit intimidated by it - there's an easy graphical installer you can use . It will ensure also latest packages and kernel is installed (currently 5.9.8-arch1-1). The installer...
  8. Rolling back updates manually?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rolling back updates manually?: I've just had to reset my PC due to a number of issues I suspect were caused by the recent 2004 Update. I want to go back to 1909, but the reset automatically installed 2004, so I have no update history to draw it from. Does anyone know if there is a way to download 1909,...
  9. Update Won't Roll Back

Update Won't Roll Back: Patch Tuesday was 2 days ago. This morning, when I rebooted, something had trashed my desktop, 2 email programs, Word, most of my startups, etc. I assume this was Windows Update but can't be sure. Win is now Version 1903 (Build 18362.1082); was 1903 but I don't know what...
  10. Arch Linux to Windows 10 issue

Arch Linux to Windows 10 issue: Hello, I tried Linux I don't like it. Id like to switch back to Windows 10. However, when trying to reinstall Windows it tells me i have a media driver missing. It won't tell me which one. I tried getting drivers from ASUS. That didn't work. I tried getting drivers from...