Windows 10: Rollback install from windows.old or help with EFS file recovery

Discus and support Rollback install from windows.old or help with EFS file recovery in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday, my Windows 10 installation became completely unstable. After trying a few methods to fix it, I decided to just reinstall from scratch.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chris47, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Chris47 Win User

Rollback install from windows.old or help with EFS file recovery

Yesterday, my Windows 10 installation became completely unstable. After trying a few methods to fix it, I decided to just reinstall from scratch. Windows and Office are both reinstalled and working correctly now, however, I had used the Advanced Attributes in File Explorer to 'Encrypt contents to secure data' of one folder. Now, all of the files in this folder are inaccessible.

Is there a way I can roll back to the bad version of Windows10 to extract these files? Alternatively, can I somehow use the user information in windows.old to access/unlock these files?

:)

Chris47, Sep 25, 2016
  2. Linney Win User

Unable to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional from Window 10 Pro

Windows.old Folder will automatically delete after about thirty days since installation. If you wish to remove it earlier than the 30 days you need to use the Disk Cleanup program.

You only need it if you wish to return to the older operating system.

How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

Retrieve files from the Windows.old folder

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old

How to rollback Windows 10 after 30 days limit

How to rollback Windows 10 after 30 days limit

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides (or the manufacturer's Web Site) for instructions. Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first.

Linney, Sep 25, 2016
  3. WINDOWS 10 PRO INSIDER PREVIEW EVALUATION COPY BUILD 10162

On the Windows.old. This is where Windows stores the files from the previous Windows build. This may or may not be your Windows 8.1 depending on if you installed more than one Insider build.

If you go into Windows.old and look at the date on the Windows folder, you can get an idea of that was about when you installed the Insider build, which would mean that it is Windows 8.1.

To try to rollback select:

Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery -> Go back to Earlier build

If that doesn't work I really don't know any other procedure.

A_User_Here, Sep 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are encrypting files. Not decrypting them before a refresh will not allow you into them.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Rollback install from windows.old or help with EFS file recovery - Similar Threads - Rollback install old

2. Install windows from old pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows from old pc: Hi I have bought a some second hands laptops, some of them are refurbished with w10 (they have the sticker) and other are normal laptops also with w10. Some of them are broken, so I was wondering if i could use their license in a desktop pc that I am build. sorry for my...
  3. Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation?: I know this is a long shot but... I had to reinstall Windows on my SSD. Then discovered I have work on another disk encrypted using Window's normal EFS. Since it might be possible to recover some files from the old Windows installation, is there any way I could somehow...
  4. Backup the EFS encryption key file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...
  5. Rollback from Windows 10 to Windows 10?

Rollback from Windows 10 to Windows 10?: My laptop would never finish downloading the 1511 update due to 10's persistent limited networking access bug (while all my other computers were working fine on the same LAN). So I got the latest media creation tool, downloaded the 10 Pro x64 ISO, popped it in,...
  6. Need Help in Resetting laptop using old media installation files.

Need Help in Resetting laptop using old media installation files.: Hi, i'm having an issue with my laptop, i think it's something called a memory leak because my RAM won't go below 80% even when my laptop is idle. I've been searching the internet for answers on how to fix this problem but didn't find any luck. I've already wasted an entire...
  7. Dual boot with refined? New help from an old install.

Dual boot with refined? New help from an old install.: Way before windows 10, I was running windows 8.1 and wanted to try Ubuntu. I didn't want to mess up my windows so I searched for dual boot. I believe I ran across this Install Ubuntu 14.04 alongside Windows 8.1 in 10 easy steps and followed it to the "T" but I do recall...
  8. Old Recovery partition

Old Recovery partition: Hi there! My question is about the Windows Recovery Environment partition(s). Looks like I have one too many! Starting at an offset of 1,024KB, diskpart sees the following. Partition 1 EFI SYSTEM 100 Mb Required: No (hidden) FAT32 (Volume #3) Partition 2 "old" WIN RE...
  9. Rollback to Windows 8.1 then CLean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Rollback to Windows 8.1 then CLean install: I upgraded to windows 10 but now I want to roll back to windows 8.1. In the future if I want to perform a clean install in my laptop will my windows 10 still be activated? 16086
  10. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10: For option one no download link? "File ownership/Personal" not a built in context menu element isn't it? 77174