Windows 10: Rollback install from windows.old or help with EFS file recovery

Discus and support Rollback install from windows.old or help with EFS file recovery in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday, my Windows 10 installation became completely unstable. After trying a few methods to fix it, I decided to just reinstall from scratch.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chris47, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Chris47 Win User

Rollback install from windows.old or help with EFS file recovery

Yesterday, my Windows 10 installation became completely unstable. After trying a few methods to fix it, I decided to just reinstall from scratch. Windows and Office are both reinstalled and working correctly now, however, I had used the Advanced Attributes in File Explorer to 'Encrypt contents to secure data' of one folder. Now, all of the files in this folder are inaccessible.

Is there a way I can roll back to the bad version of Windows10 to extract these files? Alternatively, can I somehow use the user information in windows.old to access/unlock these files?

:)

Chris47, Sep 25, 2016
  2. Linney Win User

Unable to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional from Window 10 Pro

Windows.old Folder will automatically delete after about thirty days since installation. If you wish to remove it earlier than the 30 days you need to use the Disk Cleanup program.

You only need it if you wish to return to the older operating system.

How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

Retrieve files from the Windows.old folder

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old

How to rollback Windows 10 after 30 days limit

How to rollback Windows 10 after 30 days limit

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides (or the manufacturer's Web Site) for instructions. Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first.

Linney, Sep 25, 2016
  3. WINDOWS 10 PRO INSIDER PREVIEW EVALUATION COPY BUILD 10162

On the Windows.old. This is where Windows stores the files from the previous Windows build. This may or may not be your Windows 8.1 depending on if you installed more than one Insider build.

If you go into Windows.old and look at the date on the Windows folder, you can get an idea of that was about when you installed the Insider build, which would mean that it is Windows 8.1.

To try to rollback select:

Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery -> Go back to Earlier build

If that doesn't work I really don't know any other procedure.

A_User_Here, Sep 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are encrypting files. Not decrypting them before a refresh will not allow you into them.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Rollback install from windows.old or help with EFS file recovery - Similar Threads - Rollback install old

2. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  3. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. copying EFS files encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...
  6. Efs files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Efs files: Dear Greg This is Tommy, thanks for getting back to me. I have tried everything, the folder is encrypted "EFS" and the security key is long gone. The computer crashed and a friend reformatted the harddrive and reinstalled windows. This was 10 years ago. I have been trying...
  7. Efs files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Efs files: Dear Greg This is Tommy, thanks for getting back to me. I have tried everything, the folder is encrypted "EFS" and the security key is long gone. The computer crashed and a friend reformatted the harddrive and reinstalled windows. This was 10 years ago. I have been trying...
  8. Cannot remove efs encryption from files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot remove efs encryption from files: So I wanted to test how exactly efs works, I needed simple encryption for single folder with its files inside, not whole drive/volume encryption like most programs do I got into the folder's properties > advanced and checked the encrypt data checkbox, i picked folder + files...
  9. Recovery old file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery old file: Why can't I see files and folders saved to my external HDD. I am download windows Windows 10 withit make my harddisk bootable ? They should be there because I didn't press the deletion button or format the disk. So annoying. Where have they gone? How to make them show up...
  10. Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation?: I know this is a long shot but... I had to reinstall Windows on my SSD. Then discovered I have work on another disk encrypted using Window's normal EFS. Since it might be possible to recover some files from the old Windows installation, is there any way I could somehow...