Windows 10: Rolling Back From Windows 10 To Your Older OS Appears Problematic

Discus and support Rolling Back From Windows 10 To Your Older OS Appears Problematic in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Look, I only ask because I can't find a definitive answer from MS anywhere. I copied the EULA/MSLT of a system I upgraded from 8.1 to 10, and I find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mystere Win User

Rolling Back From Windows 10 To Your Older OS Appears Problematic

Microsoft isn't going to give a definitive answer. And once again, the "rollback" is just the automatic rollback that keeps your previous install. You are free to reinstall Windows 7/8.x after the 30 days. This isn't a legal thing, it's a technical thing. When the cleanup process runs after 30 days, it deletes the data. You can always make a backup and restore that as well.

Mystere, Aug 2, 2015
  2. altae Win User

I'm surprised by the BS people are telling here. I have never had a retail license of Windows (Vista, 7, 8), always OEM licenses. I have reinstalled the various Windows versions countless times. And I have also changed my mainboards, graphics cards, cpus... many times. But so far I've never experienced troubles when it came to activate Windows. The worst thing that happened to me once was the need to talk to a MS support employee in order to get my Windows activated (I think it was Windows 8). OEM licenses that are available in online stores have never been bound to a single machine, they have always been transferable. Maybe they are bound to a single machine in theory (I don't read EULAs, it's not like I have a choice whether to agree or not) but in reality you can transfer them as you please or change the hardware whenever you feel like doing so.

Now what does that mean when it comes to Windows 10? Well we will have to see. And I think it's also kind of naive to assume MS is giving away Windows 10 licenses unconditionally. Of course they apply certain rules. But theoretical EULAs and reality are more than often two pair of shoes. A lot of paragraphs in EULAs are only there so you cannot enforce a right by taking the software developer/ distributor to court. It does not necessarily mean that MS handles such cases strictly like it's written in the EULA.

altae, Aug 2, 2015
  3. simrick Win User
    I recently had to change my MB when my power supply crapped out and blew the MB. I had a Retail W8Pro license, and I had to call MS because of activation problems, and even they had difficulty activating me!

simrick, Aug 3, 2015
  4. altae Win User

Well apart from the fact that you've got a retail license (the question is whether or not OEM licenses and upgraded Windows 10 licenses are transferable) you have to admit that eventually your Windows was activated. Some activation problems can occur at any time. But as long as MS support does not tell you to buy a new license instead of activating your current installation your license is still considered transferable by MS.

altae, Aug 3, 2015
  5. NedF Win User
    After upgrading from 8.1 to 10 I was being overwhelmed by issues (lockups on shutdown and returning from Sleep, Windows apps not working, etc.) the night before last I decided to rollback to 8.1 until I wanted to do a clean install. Well the rollback did not work. I could tell the OS was back as it would keep going back to the log in screen, but if I logged in all I got was a blank screen.

The 3 finger salute would still get me to task manager so I used RUN to open CMD (admin) and I ran the MediaCreationToolx64 to reinstall 10... This time things seem a little better other than not being able to log into the Win Store. It won't auto log in nor will it let me us the log in option. For now I am good with that because I really hate Windows apps, they just seem like really dumbed down attempts at a real program.

6. John035 Win User
    I saw an article on the CNET that has introduced a tool - System GoBack . The tool should work indefinitely. I haven't used , will try it.

John035, Aug 4, 2015
  7. I just chatted with Windows Support and I told them what I did with the cloning and they had no issues whatsoever with me running Windows7 on the same machine as Windows 10. They also told me to just ignore the attempts it keeps making to upgrade my Windows 7 drive (the backup one).
    If someone needs the text of the chat I can supply it.

dlwmacgregor, Aug 18, 2015
  8. zooburner Win User

This could be serious.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 to give it a whirl, then rolled back after making a windows 10 ISO image, i then installed using the windows 10 ISO image to see if it was better for me, it wasn't so I formatted my HD and put a windows 7 image back on.

I wonder how Microsoft will deal with this as I had a clean install of windows 10 on (you cant roll back clearly as there are no windows 7 files on there) does this mean that as I clean installed Windows 10 that my old Windows 7 code could become inactive ?

I'm suspecting to be safe it may be better for me to upgrade windows 7 (in place) then roll back again ?? .. then put my Windows 7 image back on ?

I wish Microsoft would be absolutely clear about this !

zooburner, Aug 19, 2015
  9. Dave44 Win User
    your only allowed to roll back for 30 days after upgrade

"Good day, Windows customer. Your mission, should you decide to accept it is to test Windows 10. As always, should you or any of your shadow users be caught or killed, Microsoft will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Your previous OS will self-destruct in 30 days. Good luck."

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...days-roll-back

Dave44, Aug 19, 2015
  10. If you're running Win7, most likely, MS is going to do nothing. Even though their activation servers have info from your previous upgrade, you're using a legally licensed version of Win7. There really is nothing they can do.

And, if they did decide to deactivate all the folks that tried to upgrade, or actually upgraded to Win10 and then decided to Go Back to their previous OS, that would be LOTS of folks -- and cause a media storm that MS does not want to deal with.

Mark Phelps, Aug 19, 2015
  11. simrick Win User
    Maybe someone has already asked this, but I haven't found it yet, so here goes:

If you upgrade a W7/W8 system, use W10 for, say, 15 days, and then rollback due to problems, then, update again a little later, do you still get another 30 days? or, are you left with 15 days?

simrick, Aug 19, 2015
  12. groze Win User
    Dave44

The title of the article is poorly worded in my opinion. You can always go back after even after 30 you just won't be able to roll back. You just restore from an image back or reinstall windows 7/8.x A phone call might be need to re-activate windows 7/8.x

Mark Phelps
    If they deactivated windows 7 or 8.1 keys that wouldn't work to well for those that have the retail version. According to poster here, to transfer the windows 10 to the new computer. You have to install windows 7/8.1 retail on the new computer, activate then upgrade to windows 10 then activate it again. A phone might be needed to activate on the new system. If they deactivate the keys, people would have to call Microsoft twice to activate and hopefully they would.

groze, Aug 19, 2015
  13. Winuser Win User

I'm not going to waste my time reading the article. You can still go back to your previous OS. You won't be able to use the rollback feature in Windows because the files it uses will be deleted.

Winuser, Aug 20, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    *chuckle Reminds me of ........

[youtube]h0tNw4jNp28[/youtube]

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Rolling Back From Windows 10 To Your Older OS Appears Problematic - Similar Threads - Rolling Older Appears

2. Roll back to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roll back to Windows 10: My computer switched to windows 11. I want to go back to windows 10, but the 10 day period has expired. Do I have to buy a new product key to reinstall windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roll-back-to-windows-10/cd2b6df8-7d91-4d5e-bd2a-761afd562069
  3. Roll back from Windows 11 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Roll back from Windows 11 to Windows 10: Hi Is there any way without doing a clean install to roll back to Windows 10.My system is well suited to run Windows 11 but it is causing apps to hang and massively slowing my productivity.Hoping there is an option available....
  4. Roll back to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roll back to windows 10: I am having trouble rolling back from windows 11 to windows 10. I am on the system settings "Go Back" screen but it is not highlighted and says "This option is no longer avalible on this PC" I would like to roll back because i am experiencing frame rate drop in games, and i...
  5. Roll back to windows 10

Roll back to windows 10: I am having trouble rolling back from windows 11 to windows 10. I am on the system settings "Go Back" screen but it is not highlighted and says "This option is no longer avalible on this PC" I would like to roll back because i am experiencing frame rate drop in games, and i...
  6. Rolling back windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rolling back windows 10: So I had a genuine version of windows on my pc then I upgraded it to windows enterprise. But that version was pirated so if I roll back will I get genuine windows again?...
  7. Rolling back windows 10

Rolling back windows 10: So I had a genuine version of windows on my pc then I upgraded it to windows enterprise. But that version was pirated so if I roll back will I get genuine windows again?...
  8. Rolling back windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Rolling back to Windows 10

Rolling back to Windows 10: Can someone provide me with instructions for going back to Windows 10? I'm currently on the Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Build 18950.rs_prerelease.190726-1645. I would like to opt out of the Windows 10 preview program. Thank you!...
  10. Rolling back from Windows 10 to Windows 7

Rolling back from Windows 10 to Windows 7: I was using Windows 7 64 bit a little over a year ago and I wanted to try Windows 10 Upgrade. After I did the upgrade from 7 to 10 two day's later I hated 10 and wanted 7 back. I went into the settings and found the rollback but I could not get it to rollback because it said...