Windows 10: rolling back to previous version of windows

Discus and support rolling back to previous version of windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I updated windows 10 to the 20h1 updates but there are some issues like loading for too long after pressing the right-click, overheating CPU among... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Muhammad Luqman Qureshi, Jun 9, 2020.

1. rolling back to previous version of windows

I updated windows 10 to the 20h1 updates but there are some issues like loading for too long after pressing the right-click, overheating CPU among others. I had deleted the previous version of windows after updating so is there any way I can roll back without losing the data?

:)

Muhammad Luqman Qureshi, Jun 9, 2020

2. reverting to previous build/version

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

• When the computer did froze? Is it when you tried to roll back?
    • Did you receive any error message?
    I suggest you to remove all the external devices plugged in to the computer and check if it helps to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, please restart the computer and check whether it rolled back or not. If it loads Windows 10,
    I suggest you to download the latest ISO of Windows 10 and perform automatic repair.

Download Windows 10

Steps to perform repair:

a) Insert the installation DVD or USB
    and boot Windows 8 from it.

b) In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c) Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d) Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

If you really would like to rollback, I suggest you to refer the below article on How to go back to the previous operating system (Windows 7/8.1) from Windows 10.

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised July 23rd, 2015

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised July 22nd, 2018

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy

to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 9, 2020
  3. Windows 10 stuck on reboot - While working to previous version of Windows

Thanks for the reply, but the information in the links do not provide an answer to my problem. I know how to upgrade to windows 10 and how you're supposed to roll back to the previous version. I followed these steps.

The problem is that after following the steps to roll back, that Windows 10 is now stuck in a reboot loop WHILE restoring to a previous version of Windows (7). I've no idea what to do about it.

Edit: I fully understand you want to inject Windows 10 into the world asap, so helping out someone who wants to roll back to an older version is definitely not on your priority list, but even if there's a solution to save my files that requires/demands me
    to 'fix' Windows 10 on my PC, I'd be more than happy to accept that 'deal'.

Silvius505, Jun 9, 2020
  4. rolling back to previous version of windows

Cannot go back to previous version of windows

I'm currently facing the issue that I can't restore the my previous installation of Windows. I did the following things:

• Try to "repair-install" Windows on top of Windows using the Media Creation Tool due to a few oddities I noticed. This failed due to the error "An unknown command-line option [/DynamicUpdate] was specified".
    • Made an ISO using the Media Creation Tool and used that to "repair-install" Windows, or so I thought - apparently, doing it this way removes all your data and apps... (this is where it all started)
    • Tried to go back to the previous version using the Settings app - no luck here, as the button was simply missing
    • Made a image of the hard drive just so I can't mess up any more things
    • Copy the contents of the Windows.old folder manually to their previous place (using robocopy to ensure that all attributes and permissions were copied properly) - This mostly worked, as in I got back into Windows and the data were where they should be, but I couldn't start most UWP apps or the start menu, so something must've gone wrong. (It is possible that I forgot to delete a folder before copying the old versions, but I didn't try this again)
    • Convert the drive to GPT (previously MBR) - this was done because I noticed a few minor issues trying to boot in UEFI mode during the previous steps
    • Reinstall Windows using a newly created installer USB stick
    • Copy the Windows.old folder from the drive image onto the drive (again using robocopy)
    • Try to roll back using the recovery mode of the installer USB - this fails with the error "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead" (which I obviously don't want to/already did) - there's no error code
    • Rolling back from within Windows is still not possible

Any suggestions on how I could fix the problem? Where does the "We ran into a problem..." error come from?

Lukas Lang, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

rolling back to previous version of windows

1. rolling back to previous version of windows - Similar Threads - rolling previous version

2. How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...: windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-the-number-of-days-to-roll-back/8dc4f0ac-b058-4ab3-b277-9ad7deeb51f5
  3. How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...: windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-the-number-of-days-to-roll-back/8dc4f0ac-b058-4ab3-b277-9ad7deeb51f5
  4. How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...: Windows 11 roll back.*Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-the-number-of-days-to-roll-back/67a28ee8-716d-4577-bf28-e295fd780434
  5. How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to increase the number of days to roll back Windows to a previous version of Windows...: Windows 11 roll back.*Moved from feedback. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-the-number-of-days-to-roll-back/67a28ee8-716d-4577-bf28-e295fd780434
  6. Can't Reset PC or Roll Back to Previous Version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Reset PC or Roll Back to Previous Version: I recently updated to version 2004 and am having issues. I tried to roll back to a previous version and it starts the process, but never goes through. Same thing if I try to reset the PC. It starts the process like normal, restarts, but nothing changes. Everything is still...
  7. Cannot roll back to previous version of windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot roll back to previous version of windows: As stated above, I cant roll back as I get Error 0x80070490 Every time I try to uninstall the latest update of windows. I have tried rolling back through advanced startup as well and it says its unable to do it. both latest feature update and the other option. I have found...
  8. Rolling back Windows 10 to previous version

Rolling back Windows 10 to previous version: Is it possible to roll back Windows 10 to the previous version? I’ve just installed Windows 10, v. 1909. My Asus k501u laptop started lagging when I installed this Windows version. It was a clean installation....
  9. No option to roll back to previous build

No option to roll back to previous build: After the last update, my Asus laptop can not connect to wifi or ethernet. When I troubleshoot, it says that it couldn't obtain DNS IP. I have in total 5 laptops here and 2 phones all connected fine on wifi. Anyone know where the roll back to previous build went? I have...
  10. Roll Back Driver to Previous Version in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Roll Back Driver to Previous Version in Windows 10: How to: Roll Back Driver to Previous Version in Windows 10 How to Roll Back a Device Driver to a Previous Version in Windows 10 [img] Information A newer version of a device driver often adds functionality and fixes problems that were discovered in earlier versions....