Windows 10: Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS

Discus and support Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Newbie here and first post. I have a Dell Precision 5510 laptop with a 512 GB SSD running Windows 10. I'm also old, so please be patient*Smile. Up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JEG in Raleigh, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS

Newbie here and first post. I have a Dell Precision 5510 laptop with a 512 GB SSD running Windows 10. I'm also old, so please be patient*Smile. Up until a few months ago, when I bought EaseUS Todo Home, I had never properly backed up my computers. I'd make copies of files onto a portable drive, but never properly backed up the system, because I did not fully understand how to do it. So, I gave it a shot with EaseUS and I have successfully performed a couple of backups of my laptop. But, I really want to clone my SSD so I have a fully functioning spare disk in case my original takes a dump.

I may be wrong, but as I remember from when I was working and talking to our IT support person, it used to be that when you wanted to clone your computer hard drive, you had to have an exact match of that drive....make, model, size, etc., in order to create a clone. I think I was told that the controller had to match, among other things. When I clone my SSD, I would like to use a 1 TB drive instead of another 512 GB drive. QUESTION 1 - Can I use a 1 TB SSD for my clone, or must it be a 512 GB drive?

QUESTION 2 - Must I use a Dell-provided SSD, or will any SSD with the same form factor work?

QUESTION 3 - If I am able to successfully clone my 512 GB drive to a 1 TB drive, and I switch them out so the 1 TB drive now becomes my permanent drive in my laptop......as long as I have less than say.......475 GB stored on my 1 TB drive, can I then start using my old 512 GB drive as my backup clone or must I use a drive that is at least 1 TB in size going forward, if I want to clone the 1 TB drive? If I can use the 512 GB drive as my new clone, do I need to separately reformat the 512 GB drive to use it as the new clone or does the cloning operation itself automatically format the drive?

:)

JEG in Raleigh, Nov 30, 2020

2. Upgrading my SSD drive Using EaseUs 11 Free Cloning Utility ???....

Hi Everyone,

I'm about ready to install a Bigger SSD M.2 drive in my year old Alienware 17 R-4 Laptop with a Toshiba NVMe 256G PCIe SSD M.2 fast drive already installed from the factory. I read online that the "Migration software" that Samsung 970EVO 500G SSD
    m.2 drive supports does Not Clone over any of the Factory OEM partitions that has the restore to factory defaults in them unless your OS Drive is a Samsung drive. My plan is to Clone my original C: drive to the New Samsung 970EVO 500G SSD drive and when done
    remove the factory drive. (saving it as a complete Back-up just incase) so my question is

Will EaseUs Free 11 Clone my entire SSD Toshiba drive to my New Samsung SSD 970EVO 500G NVMe M.2 drive including all OEM Partitions?... And will it boot from the new drive after cloning?

Has anyone used this free trial EaseUs 11 To Clone there SSD To SSD drive?

PS... I'm running Win 10 October 1809 X64 and I'm sorry if I didn't post this to the right topic.

Thank-You in advance for your HELP!...

Leprechaun J, Nov 30, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    EASEUS Partition Master Professional 6.1.1 Giveaway

Yes, just create a new partition using the free space.
    Step by step here: Free partition manager to resize/move FAT & NTFS hard disk partition
    But, remember, if things can go wrong... they will at the most inopportune moment.
    You might wanna make a disk image(or back-up) of the files first.
    *Smile Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS :)

95Viper, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS

Upgrading my SSD drive Using EaseUs 11 Free Cloning Utility ???....

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please be informed that Microsoft does not recommend any third party software as such I will not be able to comment on EaseUs Free 11 Clone software. I would request you to post a query on our TechNet forum since it’s related
    to Cloning a Hard drive. Please post your question in the
    TechNet Windows 10 forum.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS

1. Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS - Similar Threads - Rookie backing questions

2. Making a clone for back up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making a clone for back up: Okay, why did this not work properly?I have a 2tbssd that is my main drive with windows etc. on it. Now I have a 4 tb hdd inside my comp also. I partioned the hdd and used one half to hold a clone of my ssd. I gave that half a drive letterD The other half E, to be used as...
  3. About Backing Up Apps Using Windows Back Up app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About Backing Up Apps Using Windows Back Up app: As well as using Windows Back Up to back up folders, apps, settings and credentials, here's one question that I'd like to ask:Does Windows Back Up back up not only Microsoft Store apps and pinned app preferences but also Win32 apps? For example, Win32 apps are like Steam and...
  4. About Backing Up Apps Using Windows Back Up app

About Backing Up Apps Using Windows Back Up app: As well as using Windows Back Up to back up folders, apps, settings and credentials, here's one question that I'd like to ask:Does Windows Back Up back up not only Microsoft Store apps and pinned app preferences but also Win32 apps? For example, Win32 apps are like Steam and...
  5. Question about cloning drives for back-up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about cloning drives for back-up: Hi alla bit of a stupid question here, as I am sure this is easily answered but can I clone my SSD to another SSD that I bought in order for it to be a back-up? I recently had a problem where I lost most of my documents I had stored on my PC, due to not backing up my info. I...
  6. Question about cloning drives for back-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about cloning drives for back-up: Hi alla bit of a stupid question here, as I am sure this is easily answered but can I clone my SSD to another SSD that I bought in order for it to be a back-up? I recently had a problem where I lost most of my documents I had stored on my PC, due to not backing up my info. I...
  7. Question about cloning drives for back-up

8. Questions about setting up EASEUS Todo Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Questions about setting up EASEUS Todo Backup: I've been using the free Macrium Reflect for a little while, and as near as I can tell, it works. The interface seems more complex than Todo Backup (perhaps not as good for a normal "user", and it doesn't make incrementals, so I'm looking around at others. I've also never had...
  9. Question about cloning a drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about cloning a drive: Hi, I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro, i have a ton of Music related applications that i would rather not go through the process of reinstalling and activating etc etc Could i clone my C drive (that's my OS drive) and then do a fresh install of Windows 10...
  10. back up/cloneing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    back up/cloneing: simply put i want to transfer/copy/clone all the data from drive zero onto drive one and i have no idea how to go about it when i don't have window's installed on the machine i have a laptop but i don't know what i need to hook it up or how to do it...