Windows 10: Rootkit infection on my laptop

Discus and support Rootkit infection on my laptop in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, My laptop was recently attacked by ransomeware and my norton security detected it and removed 12 ransomewares but it couldn't remove last one... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Piyush55, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Piyush55 Win User

Rootkit infection on my laptop

Hello,

My laptop was recently attacked by ransomeware and my norton security detected it and removed 12 ransomewares but it couldn't remove last one and asked me to remove it manually and I removed it.Then it asked me to restart the laptop.After restarting I saw that norton wasn't acting properly so I restarted my laptop again and now it was protecting like usual.I noticed that all my files were encrypted by .jdyi extension however I didn't receive any notification or message demanding money.I couldn't open my files.

So I formatted my laptop and installed OS again from service centre.Then I started getting different blue screen errors like win32kbase.sys,win32full.sys,i8042.sys,SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION etc.These errors I got everytime when I turned on my laptop.So I formatted and reinstalled windows 10 1909 again and the blue screen errors were still present.I scanned my laptop with kaspersky tdsskiller to check for rootkit infection and it detected one.However it couldn't remove it so I manually deleted file from quarantined folder.I again scanned my laptop this time it didn't detect any infection.I scanned using malwarebytes too it didn't detect any infection.Finally I scanned with GMER 2.2.19882 and it gave the message \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 sector 0: rootkit like behaviour.

Today I installed windows 2020 october update and blue screen errors have stopped for now.But when I scanned my laptop with GMER it again gave the same message rootkit like behaviour .So I ran full scan and it closed automatically within minute.I tried to scan in safe mode it gave me blue screen error" IRQL not less or equal "within a minute and retarted.

Can anyone help to remove this rootkit?

My laptop is Acer nitro 5 AN515-55

:)

Piyush55, Nov 11, 2020
  2. Le Boule Win User

Rootkit infection

That file is an anti rootkit scanner by Avast. And I'm not sure whether it works on Win 10.

If you have an Avast anti-rootkit scanner and you’re running another rootkit scanner (such as GMER) then the two programs are possibly causing software conflicts.

Running too many AV programs concurrently is not always a good idea.

Assuming you’re using Avast recommend you seek their advice:
    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Also suggest you review
    Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Nov 11, 2020
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    ROOTKIT infection that evades Norton AND Defender

How were you able to determine that your computer was infected with a rootkit?

A rootkit affects the computer before Windows loads, so any program installed on Windows, including anti-virus programs, is not likely to detect a rootkit. It often takes sophisticated software to detect and remove a rootkit.

More recent computers, with the UEF interface and Secure Boot, were designed in part to prevent a rootkit-infected computer from starting, so rootkits are much less of a problem now than they were in older computers.

BulldogXX, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Rootkit infection on my laptop

1. Rootkit infection on my laptop - Similar Threads - Rootkit infection laptop

2. is my laptop infected with a virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is my laptop infected with a virus?: Hi, My laptop is a Lenovo intel Celeron rom 4gb ram 1 tb. I've been using this laptop since 2019 but since last year its been slow. especially after a threat was detected on my system. i used the offline windows defender to clear out threats but that has made my laptop...
  3. is my laptop infected with a virus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is my laptop infected with a virus?: Hi, My laptop is a Lenovo intel Celeron rom 4gb ram 1 tb. I've been using this laptop since 2019 but since last year its been slow. especially after a threat was detected on my system. i used the offline windows defender to clear out threats but that has made my laptop...
  4. rootkit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    rootkit: HiWhat are rootkits on my desktop via MALWARE bytes?Thank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rootkit/07a0f6b2-1909-4285-98dd-e31b72c3192d
  5. rootkit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    rootkit: HiWhat are rootkits on my desktop via MALWARE bytes?Thank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rootkit/07a0f6b2-1909-4285-98dd-e31b72c3192d
  6. rootkit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Is a rootkit the same as a bios infection?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is a rootkit the same as a bios infection?: Is a rootkit the same as a bios infection or can rootkits exist on your pc without infecting the bios? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-a-rootkit-the-same-as-a-bios-infection/55b3f0be-0826-47c9-be8e-83fcb5362ff7
  8. Rootkits

Rootkits: I have been searching the internet and nowhere can I find an answer concerning how are these installed on or in a system.Am I to assume that something like this 'rootkit' may be installed by USB or downloaded from a website, considering the word 'installed' implies this?Can...
  9. Rootkit

Rootkit: Can a Rootkit be Totally annihilated by Scanning through Defender? What if it is deeply embedded in the OS itself, finding root on some apps or file or even in user and kernel levels. This is my problem cause my secondary Laptop came pre installed apps and Rootkit, of which I...
  10. Keep getting infected.. Rootkit, Bootkit, Keylogger ?

Keep getting infected.. Rootkit, Bootkit, Keylogger ?: Hello! from a new guy. I must say what a great forum ya have here, knowledgeable & helpful people. Tutorial's are awesome (even I can follow them & that's no small feat). Anyhow, I've been reading like mad trying to fix stuff myself. Following Kyhi's guide I made a...