Windows 10: Ropemaker - new Exploit for Desktop Email Clients

Discus and support Ropemaker - new Exploit for Desktop Email Clients in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Mimecast (Email security vendor) has publish a warning today about possible email exploit called Ropemaker. A new type of email exploit could affect... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AndreTen, Aug 22, 2017.

1. AndreTen Win User

Ropemaker - new Exploit for Desktop Email Clients

Mimecast (Email security vendor) has publish a warning today about possible email exploit called Ropemaker.

A new type of email exploit could affect all kind of computer users, even the most advanced. Practically all desktop email clients are vulnerable to this exploit if sending message in html format.

Read more at www.eweek.com | security/ropemaker-email-exploit-exposes-desktop-clients-to-security-risks

:)

AndreTen, Aug 22, 2017
  2. EdHans Win User

emails disappear from phone

I use IMAP, so this is a guess, but what I think is happening is your desktop email client is going to get the POP3 email. When it does that, it downloads it and removes the email from the server.

When your WP7 email client checks, it sees the message is gone and removes it from the phone. This is how Windows Mobile has worked since 2000.

The only solution is to either not check email on your desktop or if your desktop client allows, configure it to "leave messages on POP3 server." Most clients allow that.

Ed Hansberry - www.ehansberry.com

EdHans, Aug 22, 2017
  3. THEAMAN Win User
    After Update, E66 Keeps Wanting to Install new Email Client

Using the Nokia Windows Desktop application, I updated my E66 to the latest firmware. Things were fine. After a couple weeks, I decided to update my email inboxes. Deleted an old one, and then went to add another.

The phone wants to install a new client. I didn't want to install the new client. The old one was fine. Still, I did install it just to see what it was. It worked okay, but I didn't like how small the fonts were.

I used Installed Apps and removed the new email client. The new email app was now gone. The old default messaging application is still present. When I went to add an account, it again wanted to add the new email client. I canceled, but that's all that happens.
    It turns out it won't let me add a 2nd mail account without installing the new email client.

So, I either want to add an account to the default messaging app (which I was able to do before, I had 3), or delete the default app and use just the new email client. I don't want two clients.

Suggestions?

THEAMAN, Aug 22, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

I'm not sure, if everybody understands how easy this vulnerability is to exploit (since there is no discussion here), I'm posting link to another coverage of it: BleepingComputer | ropemaker-lets-attackers-change-your-emails-after-delivery

AndreTen, Aug 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Ropemaker - new Exploit for Desktop Email Clients - Similar Threads - Ropemaker Exploit Desktop

2. New email client from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New email client from Microsoft?: I heard recently of a new email client from Microsoft. I can't remember the name and I don't remember where I read it.Can you tell me if there is a new email client coming?Nigel...
  3. New email client from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New email client from Microsoft?: I heard recently of a new email client from Microsoft. I can't remember the name and I don't remember where I read it.Can you tell me if there is a new email client coming?Nigel...
  4. Photos App - new email client

Photos App - new email client: Hello, I use Mailbird as my email client. It is set as the default email client in settings. Photos wants me to use 'Mail' when I hit the share button for a photo. Is there a way to get it to use Mailbird for this function? I can't see anywhere in Photos / Settings....
  5. Looking for a new email client

in Browsers and Email
    Looking for a new email client: I’ve been using the MS Office 2007 suite including Outlook since it was new! I want to convert to open source LibreOffice and remove MS Office completely so need a new mail client. I also use Opera as my default browser. I like the look and function of Mailbird but it seems...
  6. New Thunderbird Email Client - 60.6.1

in Browsers and Email
    New Thunderbird Email Client - 60.6.1: New update to Thunderbird - 60.6.1 Security fixes. Release Notes: Thunderbird — Release Notes (60.6.1) — Mozilla 129570
  7. Desktop email client as a frontend

Desktop email client as a frontend: Hello folks, There are a few desktop email clients threads on this board. I checked a few but none discussed what I am looking for. I have multiple email accounts. I used to use Thunderbird in the past until its database size ballooned over 6gb. Now switched to a far...
  8. New Thunderbird Email Client Released

in Browsers and Email
    New Thunderbird Email Client Released: New Thunderbird Email client 52.7.0 released 03/23/18. Minor bugs and security fixes. [img] 106649
  9. Is there a free email client for desktop use

in Browsers and Email
    Is there a free email client for desktop use: I use Outlook for my main email but I also have an gmail account as well as a hotmail (outlook). I would like a free email client that I can install on my computer so I can have a desktop email client for my gmail and hotmail accounts so I don't have to access it via web...
  10. Best alternative desktop email client

in Browsers and Email
    Best alternative desktop email client: Currently using Win Live Mail 2013 on desktop, but very buggy. Have tried Mail app in Win 10 but not as comprehensive as WinLiveMail Any suggestions for alternative stand alone desktop email client? *Smile 72169