Windows 10: Rotating external drives with Windows File History

Discus and support Rotating external drives with Windows File History in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to rotate external USB connected drives to do backups with the Windows 10 File History utility. I would like File History to write to one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve19495, May 4, 2020.

1. Rotating external drives with Windows File History

I would like to rotate external USB connected drives to do backups with the Windows 10 File History utility. I would like File History to write to one external drive for a week. Then I would swap the drive with one I keep in a fire safe. Is it just a matter of choosing a different drive, and if so, does it look for any file that I may have updated or created since I last used that external drive and update to that drive?

:)

Steve19495, May 4, 2020

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, May 4, 2020
  3. File History is off and won't recognize my external drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• What is the status when you connect your external driver in your system?

• Have you checked with a different external drive? What is the status?

• Have you tried connecting the drive in a different USB port? What is the status?

I suggest you to disable your third party-software (If any) and check if it resolves the issue.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Check if it helps.

You can also try turning on file history by following the below procedure and check if it resolves the issue.

To enable file history on Windows 10, connect an external hard drive and follow the steps below:

• Open Start menu and type
      File History

• Click File History (control panel)

• Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.

• Turn on File History
    Note: If the network drive you want isn’t in the list of available drives, tap or click Show all network locations. If the drive you want isn’t listed there either, open File History in Control Panel, tap or click Add
    a network location, and follow the instructions on the screen.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, May 4, 2020
  4. Rotating external drives with Windows File History

File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Rotating external drives with Windows File History

1. Rotating external drives with Windows File History - Similar Threads - Rotating external drives

2. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  3. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  4. File History external hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History external hard drive freezes computer: FYI - After switching to Windows 10 I chose to try File History to backup my data files. When the external hard drive is connected, my computer will freeze whenever the hard drive light is on. I am using a Dell laptop with wireless mouse and keyboard through a Dell "docking"...
  5. File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder

File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder: In order to get my huge iTunes library to work at a reasonable speed I mapped an 8 TB external drive which had previously had a letter assigned I'll call it the M: drive to a folder on my computer's internal C: drive using the Disk Management program. The M: drive has all...
  6. File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive

File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive: Scheduled backup stop working. Went to File History and found it had turned itself off. When trying to turn File History back on got message Could not recognize external drive. Tried reformating drive, called MS Support, nothing worked, so tied a different external drive...
  7. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...
  8. Add an external drive to File History

Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  9. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive: I have a computer including an external drive (which contains all the photos). These two things have been backed up to another external drive using File History. So far so good. Now, the drive containing the photos has been damaged and can not be used anymore. This means, I...
  10. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...