Windows 10: Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps

Discus and support Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have an Arris Surfboard cable modem SB6141, when I connect PC using ethernet cable directly to modem I get 50-60mps download speeds. When a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DanielSargent1, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps

Hi,

I have an Arris Surfboard cable modem SB6141, when I connect PC using ethernet cable directly to modem I get 50-60mps download speeds.

When a router is between the modem and my PC the download speed drops to 6-8mps..

I have confirmed this issue with two different routers:
    1) Linksys AC1200 which was brand new, was getting 50-60mps then down to 6-8 range.

2) TP-link AC 1750, firmware is up to date.

2A) did trouble shooting with TP-link support, nothing found..
    2B) Was able to very briefly get 60mps when I turned off WIFI. But it went right back to 6-8 range..

Tried to uninstall software, log off, internet, mail accounts, etc..

- Have done full virus scan and reboot virus scan. Nothing found..

I have to believe the issue is on the Windows side, but what?

Dan

:)

DanielSargent1, Oct 29, 2019
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

New laptop with Wifi Ac and Verizon Qualcomm router major speed drop

Open Settings, then Network & Internet, then Network and Sharing Center. Your WiFi connection will be shown under Active Networks. Click on the "link" for your WiFi connection. What speed is listed under Connection?

Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2019
  3. ziffel Win User
    Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

I have a Docsis 3.0 motorola modem (provided by Spectrum). If I connect the ethernet from the modem direct to my PC, i immediately get full bandwidth, 120 Mbps, on all speedtests (fast.com etc). However, if I first go to my router, then ethernet to the PC, the speed drops to around 55 or 60 Mb. An important note here is that this combo has worked fine for several years. Same modem, same ethernet cable, same router. (I say that because it illustrates the older router, cable, and modem are capable of full my full bandwidth) This issue just popped up yesterday (Apr 20)

The oddity here is that purchasing and trying a brand new router with all the latest tech renders the exact same results. 55 to 60 Mb speed. The tests are very very consistent. Always the same each time, no variation. Same goes for wiring direct from modem to PC. Always 120 Mb.

The upload speed is always 100% good. Both direct to PC and through both routers, 12 Mb up.

The 55-60 speed (wired) is consistent on 3 different PC's in the house. Two are Win10, one is an older Win7 laptop. And I got that speed on the other PC's with the new router as well.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• rebooting modem & router & PC (several times each)
    • different ethernet cable from modem to router and to PC (same results)
    • 2nd, brand new router (same results)
    • disconnected all wires from modem (coax, ethernet, power) and re-connected
    • read through this thread. My symptom is similar, (120 --> 60 drop, download only), however I don't think it's relevant, because I get full speed as I should if I go direct from modem to PC ethernet in. If it were a software issue, I would think that would persist direct wired or via a router. Either way, none of the fixes in that thread helped me.
    • updated older router's firmware to latest, though even that update was from 4 years ago.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

ziffel, Oct 29, 2019
  4. wazzleSR Win User

Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps

Wifi speed down and dropping continuously after restoring router to factory settings.

Hi i have a NETGEAR Router DGND3700v2 and as the title states my internet connection keeps dropping and the download speed isn't what it used to be, im just looking for some help on how i can fix this issue.

I used to get around 700KB/s - 1MB/s download speed and the internet connection never dropped.

Ive tried changing the channels and MTU and although the speed did increase its nowhere near how it used to be.

wazzleSR, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps

1. Router causes internet speeds to drop to 7-9mps from 50-60mps - Similar Threads - Router causes internet

2. Could my router be causing my internet to drop ethernet?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could my router be causing my internet to drop ethernet?: Hello,I am currently running into an issue with my internet randomly dropping on a system connected to the ethernet. I have a Motorola Modem and Asus RT-AX58U Router. I will be playing a game or just watching YouTube videos and the connection will randomly drop. I have tried...
  3. Could my router be causing my internet to drop ethernet?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could my router be causing my internet to drop ethernet?: Hello,I am currently running into an issue with my internet randomly dropping on a system connected to the ethernet. I have a Motorola Modem and Asus RT-AX58U Router. I will be playing a game or just watching YouTube videos and the connection will randomly drop. I have tried...
  4. Internet download speed suddenly dropped

Internet download speed suddenly dropped: Hello, I recently experienced a huge drop in my internet download speed. I have an HP pavilion 15 laptop dual boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.4.When I am on Ubuntu I have a download speed of roughly 200MB/s, and that's quite consistent. However, it's been a couple of weeks...
  5. Internet download speed suddenly dropped

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet download speed suddenly dropped: Hello, I recently experienced a huge drop in my internet download speed. I have an HP pavilion 15 laptop dual boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.4.When I am on Ubuntu I have a download speed of roughly 200MB/s, and that's quite consistent. However, it's been a couple of weeks...
  6. internet speed dropped for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    internet speed dropped for no reason: my download is all the way down to 3 mbps, i changed no settings to make this happen, it happened on its own after work about 8pm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-speed-dropped-for-no-reason/79e8fa04-14b8-4078-8cfe-e4a6453595a2
  7. internet speed dropped for no reason

internet speed dropped for no reason: my download is all the way down to 3 mbps, i changed no settings to make this happen, it happened on its own after work about 8pm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-speed-dropped-for-no-reason/79e8fa04-14b8-4078-8cfe-e4a6453595a2
  8. internet speed dropped for no reason

9. Internet speed drops to half

Internet speed drops to half: Hello, its few months when I have this problem, and my provider said that my speed its not limited. But when I am downloading games (it happend with rockstar, and now with steam too) first 17gb its downloaded with normal speed, but after 17gb, speed drops at half and dont...
  10. Sudden Internet Speed Drop

Sudden Internet Speed Drop: Hello. About 3 weeks ago I noticed I was getting between 40-60mb download, when my ISP package says 200mb. I was previously getting the full 200mb and then some. Technicians from my ISP came out, ran new cabling through the house and out to the pole, then tested it at the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what causes mbps drop on ethernet cable

2. what causes arris 3.0 motorola modem router to constantly drop connection while playing wow