Windows 10: Router firewall ICMP risks and threats?

Discus and support Router firewall ICMP risks and threats? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone I have found out, that my Router firewall has never blocked ICMP traffic. There is a lot of opinions online regarding ICMP, and whether... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EmilDK, May 7, 2021.

1. EmilDK Win User

Router firewall ICMP risks and threats?

Hello everyone I have found out, that my Router firewall has never blocked ICMP traffic. There is a lot of opinions online regarding ICMP, and whether it should be disabled or limited. So far I have found out, that it can exploited to monitor network traffic / I/O traffic (man-in-the-middle). It can also be exploited to carry and infect a PC system with malware. My questions / worries are: 1. If someone monitored my network traffic using ICMP, would HTTPS traffic then still be encrypted / unreadable? 2. Would my Windows Defender firewall block an attack / attempted malware infection via ICMP? 3. Would Malwarebytes (example) scan detect, if my PC system had been infected by malware via ICMP? 4. Are there other ways someone can access my PC system using ICMP, besides via malware infection? Thanks in advance for your answers And happy weekend! Best regards

:)

EmilDK, May 7, 2021

2. windows 10 firewall filtering icmp

Amit(Kumar) did you even read what your link states? It is for developers that have access to programs and tools that most end users do not have. Your response is a class **** answer that floods these forums.

Sorry elkido122, I am looking for answers to the same problem. Why do you feel that your IPV6 is limited to your ICMP rules? Are you basing it solely off these ipv6test type websites? IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test

I feel as if I have setup my system perfectly for IPV6 but when I hit that site it says my ICMP is being filtered and shows up yellow. I have allowed ICMP through my router and I have allowed it through windows firewall as well. I still get the same result,
    so I am at a loss. Let me know if you find an answer.

C.T. Dunlap, May 7, 2021
  3. Darren Win User
    Wireless cable modem/router/firewall

can someone recommend me a wireless router with built in cable modem. Most of the devices ive seen are equiped with ADSL modems!

required features

• Wireless
    • firewall
    • router
    • Built in cable modem
    • fully telewest/blueyonder compatible

Darren, May 7, 2021
  4. Router firewall ICMP risks and threats?

windows 10 firewall filtering icmp

Amit(Kumar) did you even read what your link states? It is for developers that have access to programs and tools that most end users do not have. Your response is a class **** answer that floods these forums.

Sorry elkido122, I am looking for answers to the same problem. Why do you feel that your IPV6 is limited to your ICMP rules? Are you basing it solely off these ipv6test type websites? IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test

I feel as if I have setup my system perfectly for IPV6 but when I hit that site it says my ICMP is being filtered and shows up yellow. I have allowed ICMP through my router and I have allowed it through windows firewall as well. I still get the same result,
    so I am at a loss. Let me know if you find an answer.

C.T. Dunlap, May 7, 2021
Thema:

Router firewall ICMP risks and threats?

1. Router firewall ICMP risks and threats? - Similar Threads - Router firewall ICMP

2. ICMP problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ICMP problem: I have site to site VPN network. My problem is that, when I do ping between PCs form site to site the ping works only between PCs with any windows os other than windows 10.Note: when I do ping form the local network to windows 10 it works. Windows 10 only allows ping from the...
  3. How to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through Windows Firewall

in Windows 10 News
    How to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through Windows Firewall: [ATTACH]By default, the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security blocks ICMP Echo Requests (Pings) from the network. In this post, we will show you how to allow Pings (ICMP Echo requests) through your Windows Firewall using Command Prompt or via the Windows Firewall with...
  4. No Firewall, No Threat protection. Can't restart Firewall. 2004 updated.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Firewall, No Threat protection. Can't restart Firewall. 2004 updated.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheHornetBoy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hzsa7j/no_firewall_no_threat_protection_cant_restart/
  5. Azure firewall threat intel

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Azure firewall threat intel: Hi, I have opted for "On and Deny" settings for threat intel in my firewall settings which was working fine since last 3 months before I noticed significant reduction in query results from last week. When Investigated, I realized that there are no more detection coming...
  6. Disabling ICMP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling ICMP: Hi all, in the system32 folder path drivers/etc there are two files named protocols and services. I commented out the ICMP and TFTP lines, however, I can still ping my device. If I'm not mistaken ping uses ICMP and AFAIC I just disabled that protocol. Did I do it wrong?...
  7. UAC Retired, Day 1 - Risks and Threats

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC Retired, Day 1 - Risks and Threats: First impressions on the much discussed and even more fearsome retirement of UAC: As of today the UAC has been sent to retirement; also turned off the ''smartscreen'' for Edge which I do not use anyway Big Bro drew an exclamation mark on the Security page, which I ignored...
  8. IPv6 tunnel question: IP is not ICMP pingable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you...

in Windows 10 Customization
    IPv6 tunnel question: IP is not ICMP pingable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you...: Hi, Is there any easy way to allow this to not be blocked please? I am trying to set a 4 to 6 tunnel via https://www.tunnelbroker.net/new_tunnel.php Is this a trusted service too? Regards, John Oliver...
  9. Risk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Risk: I just bought risk from the microsoft store on my pc and now it wont let me install it on my device. Is there anything i can change to make it install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/risk/31de6d96-8c96-4dfe-abff-b30f6ea70d14
  10. Router flaws put AT&T customers at hacking risk

in Windows 10 News
    Router flaws put AT&T customers at hacking risk: Thousands of routers, many of which belong to AT&T U-verse customers, can be easily and remotely hacked through several critical security vulnerabilities. Five flaws were found in common consumer Arris routers used by AT&T customers and other internet providers around the...