Windows 10: Router protection - which DSL surge filter?

Discus and support Router protection - which DSL surge filter? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We are used to following weather forecasts and unplugging the router's phone line if thunder is likely. That is not fool proof. What are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by muymalestado, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Router protection - which DSL surge filter?

We are used to following weather forecasts and unplugging the router's phone line if thunder is likely. That is not fool proof.

What are recommendations for quality DSL surge protectors which may display indicators that they have been hit, that they have been wrecked, or that really work well?

Thank you.

:)

muymalestado, Aug 5, 2016
  2. Ken Blake Win User

Did Power Surge Kill It?

I'm against using a surge protector. There are dozens of inexpensive so-called "surge protectors" on the market, but they are really nothing more than fancy extension cords. A $55 UPS doesn't cost much more than a real surge protector, and it protects against
    much more than surges. Yes, surges may be less common than power failure, but protecting against power failure not only protects against hardware failure, but also against data loss.

Yes, the UPS battery has be replaced every few years, but divide the battery cost by the number of year one lasts and it's only a few dollars per year.

Ken Blake, Aug 5, 2016
  3. iain1955 Win User
    power issues

Exactly as I remember it says, "a power surge has been detected and the computer will shut down" I cannot remember any error code, as soon as it shuts down it reboots into bios screen, it s a desktop unit plugged into a surge protected socket, which is why
    I am somewhat confused

iain1955, Aug 5, 2016
  4. Router protection - which DSL surge filter?

TairikuOkami, Aug 6, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    All well known brands will work, just dont go and get the cheap no name brands.

swarfega, Aug 6, 2016
  6. Phone Man Win User
    Phone Man, Aug 6, 2016
  7. A circuit breaker? I prefer the one, which burns, so you have to buy a new one when damaged, every millisecond counts.

8. westom Win User

Router protection - which DSL surge filter?

Nothing can report when an effective protector works. Any protector that reports a surge is reporting it was grossly undersized - may have been a potential fire. A protector that works well comes with spec numbers that says it works well. And always has one critical feature - a low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to single point earth ground. Not wall receptacle safety ground - earth ground.

View some overhyped protectors from Belkin, APC, or other plug-in protectors. How many joules does it claim to absorb? Hundreds? Thousand? A protector that is effective must somehow absorb hundreds of thousands of joules. A hundreds joules surge is simply converted by electronics into low DC voltages to safely power its semiconductors. Any near zero protector is only protecting from something already made irrelevant by what is inside electronics. Did they forget to mention that?

View a recommended Belkin. That near zero protector contains ten cent protector parts also found in $12 protectors sold in Walmart. Why does it sell for $70? An obscene profit margin means more will be educated by advertising and hearsay. And not by a science that has been well understood and repeatedly demonstrated for over 100 years. Its joules numbers say it does not protect from typically destructive surges.

What does its light report? Normal failure for a protector is degradation. The protector still works but trips on a voltage that has changed by 10%. That acceptable failure cannot be reported by any light. That light can only report a catastrophic type failure. Every MOV manufacturer says catastrophic failure must never happen. Catastrophic failure (as reported by that light) is reporting a protector that was underszied for that venue (a potential fire). And that a surge remained connected to adjacent appliances as protectors parts disconnected as fast as possible.

Ignore any recommendation without specification numbers. Next post will quote an AT&T discussion about DSL protection (and how to protect everything else). Protection means one can say where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Belkin and other magic box protectors will not discuss any of this to protect sales. Effective protection even costs less money - about $1 per protected appliance.

westom, Aug 6, 2016
  9. westom Win User
    AT&T Forum provided "How can I protect my DSL/dialup equipment from surges?":

westom, Aug 6, 2016
  10. Phone Man Win User
    The circuit breaker protects the main unit from an overload. All the ports are protected by surge suppression circuits built into the unit.
    Do your research before commenting.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Aug 6, 2016
  11. I know as I said, I would not trust a surge protection with a circuit breaker.
    But when the lightening hits too close, nothing will protect from the overload.

12. westom Win User
    Overload and a surge are two completely different anomalies from two completely different energy sources. Overload protection does nothing for surges. Surge protection does nothing for an overload.

OP asked about protecting DSL from weather recreated anomalies - not an overload. No circuit breaker even claims to protect from them. Nothing that burns does protection. Protection from direct lighting strikes was routine over 100 years ago - long before transistors even existed. But that means installing something completely different as even defined in an AT&T forum.

Unfortunately many bought protectors that are expensive and do not claim such protection. Suffered damage. Then only assumed nothing can protect from lightning - even after Franklin demonstrated the solution over 250 years ago.

Protection provided by a $100 APC UPS could not be any smaller. So its joules number is unlisted. Only 118 and never more than 237 joules. To be any smaller, it must be zero joules. Since its joules are just above zero, then it is hyped as 100% protection - subjectively - to consumers who ignore spec numbers.

DSL protection is defined by
    Where are hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly absorbed? That is effective DSL protection.

westom, Aug 7, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

None. Your NID should already be connected with a ground wire to the ground rod for the meter. All newer NID's contain a jack that protects the line from Lightning, along with any line noise by filters that are inside the casing of the connection block. If you are in an apartment, you can get Lightning protectors from L-com.com. They need to be installed where the wiring is at for all phone lines and the ground connected to a Copper Cold Water Pipe. If you have PEX, you will have to ground it to the Breaker Panel.

bro67, Aug 7, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Yes there are Circuit Breaker style units that go inside the Breaker panel and have ports for CATV, Phone, DSL. Those are better than a power strip will ever provide.

Ever seen a surge strip burst into flames? Been there, seen it. Had our group manager for the Imaging and court document unit just standing there wondering what to do, while I just walked over and unplugged it.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Router protection - which DSL surge filter? - Similar Threads - Router protection DSL

2. Power Surge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Surge: I am getting the following message every time I open my PC: Hope you can see it. It's telling me to disconnect the device and hit "reset." How the heck can I hit reset if the power surge USB is the mouse? Please advise and thanks....
  3. Power Surge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Surge: I am getting the following message every time I open my PC: Hope you can see it. It's telling me to disconnect the device and hit "reset." How the heck can I hit reset if the power surge USB is the mouse? Please advise and thanks....
  4. Power Surge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Surge: New computer with Windows 11. I've tried plugging in two different HDD docks from two different manufacturers, both AC powered, via USB. After some time I get a power surge error. Any clue what's happening?...
  5. Power Surge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Surge: New computer with Windows 11. I've tried plugging in two different HDD docks from two different manufacturers, both AC powered, via USB. After some time I get a power surge error. Any clue what's happening?...
  6. Surge Protection

in Windows 10 Support
    Surge Protection: So I don't think we often mention this, but for our electrical equipment I had to ask this to protect as much as possible. I know we can discuss backup power supplies, but I wanted to ask more on just the plug side. I wanted to see which surge protector people are using and...
  7. Power surge

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power surge: I've just moved and set up my PC again but when I try to plug in my Microphone in Snowball Black iCE USB Microphone it says "Power surge on the USB port ..." after I click on it it says "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should...
  8. Power surge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power surge: USB power surge and now USB is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-surge/9d7aee8c-ff01-4bff-aab0-222df69a0b73
  9. HTPC power protection low surge

in Windows 10 Support
    HTPC power protection low surge: How can i protect a small HTPC hooked up to my TV from surging? Every now and then not always my mini fridge will kick on or off and cut the TV power for a second. which turns off the tv and right back on. Im guessing a surge? I want the pc to be protected from this. What...
  10. Unable to connect to home router(DSL-2640B) after upgrading to Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to connect to home router(DSL-2640B) after upgrading to Win10: My first upgrade ended in failure. The second time, I removed my wifi adapter and it installed successfully. I reinserted my wifi adapter, it only detects my neigbours router. Anyone here have similar issues? The wifi adapter is a D-LINK DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB adapter and...