Windows 10: Routing network traffic through wired Windows 10 machine

Discus and support Routing network traffic through wired Windows 10 machine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey all, How would I set windows up to allow other computers to use it as the default gateway? I have a VPN on the windows 10 machine that i want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CurtisJenkins_945, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Routing network traffic through wired Windows 10 machine

Hey all,

How would I set windows up to allow other computers to use it as the default gateway?

I have a VPN on the windows 10 machine that i want to be able to use on the other devices by using this windows 10 machine as the default gateway

Thoughts?

:)

CurtisJenkins_945, Jan 19, 2021

2. Traffic routing on wired and wireless connections

I have satellite internet service with limited data. I use wired Ethernet as the always-on connection, but for higher data or bandwidth applications, i.e. large downloads or video streaming, I connect to a cellular hotspot. Is there a way to configure
    my adapters (or other parameters, or hardware/wiring) so that all internet traffic is routed through the cellular hotspot when connected? Right now, I disable my wired adapter to be sure I'm not using satellite data, but it's a hassle, and I lose my connection
    to my NAS, printers, etc.

Ideally, when I connect to the hotspot, I'd like all internet traffic to go through the wireless connection, and all local network traffic to stay on the wired connection. I'm not talking about bridging the networks. I've read about setting the Interface
    Metric to prioritize the wireless network when connected. How does that affect traffic routing? If I set the wireless adapter to a higher priority, will I lose my connection to my LAN? Is there a way to accomplish what I want?

JoeMcAlister, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Traffic routing on wired and wireless connections

Hi JoeMcAlister,

There is a way to do this with connection priority in Windows 10 and then also metering your connectivity.

First in terms of network prioritization, let's do eht efollowing:

Press the Windows Key + X and go to Network Connections

Go to Wifi on the side

Click Change Adapter options

Once you are in the window click Alt to get the menu and go to Advanced

Go to Advanced Settings and you can change your network prioritization in this area.

Here is a link on how to setup your ethernet as a metered connection.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-ethernet...

I want to be clear though, none of this will affect traffic routing. To actually do traffic routing and traffic shaping you would need third-party applications or a load balancing device / smart-router that could do this.

c12f15dc-7bff-4426-b6c1-6cd384eeb051, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Routing network traffic through wired Windows 10 machine

Traffic routing on wired and wireless connections

So, continue what I'm doing (enable/disable adapters)? There's no simple way to route internet traffic through one adapter, and LAN traffic through another one?

JoeMcAlister, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Routing network traffic through wired Windows 10 machine

1. Routing network traffic through wired Windows 10 machine - Similar Threads - Routing network traffic

2. How to route all Traffic through the Internal Network in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to route all Traffic through the Internal Network in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]A remote computer has two options to use the internet when it connects to an internal network, and one of them is the default gateway. If you want to prevent the remote client computer from using the internet through the default gateway and allow it to use the secure...
  3. File share traffic preference issues with the network interfaces in two machines with...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File share traffic preference issues with the network interfaces in two machines with...: Setup: Two Windows 10 PCs with 3 physical NICs each and having 3 redundant connections. All the interfaces are on different IP Subnets Issue: *Kindly use the network diagram attached* 1.File is being copied from PC-1 to PC-2 by accessing the share of PC-2 using its FQDN in...
  4. Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 - Addressing Traffic Routing Issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 - Addressing Traffic Routing Issues: The Problem So recently I was trying to run some kubectl commands using WSL2 to my home K8S cluster and encountered some strange events. Everything had worked fine when using WSL but for some reason I could now only ping external devices to my laptop (Router, Switch, Printer...
  5. Route traffic + DNS through SSH (ie.: socks proxy)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Route traffic + DNS through SSH (ie.: socks proxy): Hi everyone, I have the following setup: 2 computers (A and B) Both computers run Windows 10 and I have admin rights Computer A is connected to 2 VPN networks (simultaneously) Computer A has got OpenSSH server installed and enabled Computer B should access the internet and...
  6. Traffic routing on wired and wireless connections

Traffic routing on wired and wireless connections: I have satellite internet service with limited data. I use wired Ethernet as the always-on connection, but for higher data or bandwidth applications, i.e. large downloads or video streaming, I connect to a cellular hotspot. Is there a way to configure my adapters or other...
  7. Machine freezes for a few seconds, spike in Network traffic

in Windows 10 Support
    Machine freezes for a few seconds, spike in Network traffic: Hello, My Dell 5675 w Ryzen 7 sometimes freezes for a few seconds. Shortly before it resumes, the fan starts cranking up. There are no events in the Event Viewer, when I open the Task Manager I see no spike in Memory or CPU activity, but in Ethernet activity. Hope someone...
  8. New route traffic coloring feature for Bing Maps

in Windows 10 News
    New route traffic coloring feature for Bing Maps: There is an old saying that you don’t know where you are going until you get there. With Bing Maps new route coloring feature, you will know right away where the delays will be along your selected route so you can change your route, your plans or your destination based on the...
  9. OpenVPN - Send All Traffic Through VPN in Windows 10

OpenVPN - Send All Traffic Through VPN in Windows 10: With OpenVPN on macOS, I have the option to check to send all traffic through the VPN. With Windows 10 (v1803), I do not have this option. Does anyone know if OpenVPN 2.4.6 will automatically send all traffic through the VPN? I don't want *any* traffic to not go through the...
  10. Network Routing Tables

Network Routing Tables: Hi everyone! I recently started using a VPN. However some websites block VPN ips so I can't visit them. To solve this problem I would like to add the blocked website's IP to my route table. It works fine on my other laptops but on my PC it doesn't seem to function. I...