Windows 10: "RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management

Discus and support "RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For months now I have been unable to connect USB drives automatically in Win 10. When I go to Computer Management/Disk Management I often see the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rebadurchee, Sep 14, 2019.

1. "RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management

For months now I have been unable to connect USB drives automatically in Win 10. When I go to Computer Management/Disk Management I often see the drive there, but with no drive letter, so I have to manually add the drive with a new drive letter.
    If I try to "Refresh" or "Rescan" the disks in Disk Management I get either a "Remote Procedure Call failed" message or "RPC server not available" message.

Recently I upgraded my computer to a new everything, (mobo, USB ports, etc.) but cloned the system drive. That didn't help resolve the issue, so it's obviously not hardware but something in Windows. That being said, I am on a MSI Z390-A Pro mobo, i7-9700K, GTX 1660, 32GB Kingston

I have AVG free virus and Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender Firewall

Here are the things I have already tried to fix this:
    Checked to make sure of the following settings in "Services":
    DCOM Service Process Launcher Automatic
    Remote Procedure Call Automatic
    Remote Procedure Call Locator: Manual
    Did not help

I have done CMD line sfc /scannow which reported some files were replaced. Did not help

Went to ncpa.cpl and made sure File and Printer sharing was on; that Internet Protocol Version 6 checked. Did not help.

Went to Windows Defender Firewall and added everything titled "Remote..." - Did not help
    Turned off Windows Firewall entirely - Did not help.
    Turned on Windows Firewall with the option of "Notify me when blocking a new app" - Did not help

Checked registry entries for RpcSs, DcomLaunch, RpcEptMapper, and all were set correctly for Dword=2.
    Did not help.

Flushed DNS. Did not help.

I am at wit's end. I do not know what else to do. I did all these things by rote from advice from several sites, I don't have a deep knowledge of Windows. I just want to be able to get to my drives without a lot of hassle.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:)

rebadurchee, Sep 14, 2019

2. Unable to Connect to Logical Disk Manager Service Error in Computer Management

WELL, I'll be an "S.O.B."! I got it... lol, just now!

Apparently, & I am going to record this & BOOKMARK/FAV it in my webbrowsers as "HOW TO FIX LOGICAL DISK MANAGER HASSLES" (lol), it is SOMETHING in my services!

You need THIS list of them running (provided you have them online that is, some OS won't have SOME of these (this is Windows Server 2003) & some are 3rd party & won't matter):

"RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management SERVICESNEEDEDFORLOGICALDISKMGT2SERVICES.jpg

* NO SAFE MODE REQUIRED - THIS FIXED IT, PURELY SERVICES RELATED... oddly, no "dependencies" other than the ones the services need (RPC & Plug n Play) are listed in the 2 services for Logical Disk Management... it's like MS missed (somehow) the fact that there IS other dependencies on other services than what they list!

That list above is PROBABLY "overkill" & it is only a fraction of that list above, but the point is there... with ALL of those active? Logical Disk Manager "gets its act together" again & works!

APK

P.S.=> BRB, with screenshot of services & their startup status needed for this to work, in case anyone else hits this... it is a real you-know-what if you can't get to a disk to format it, lol... so, recording it for everyone's sake! apk

Alec§taar, Sep 14, 2019
  3. Unable to Connect to Logical Disk Manager Service Error in Computer Management

I keep seeing the err msg in compmgt.msc (Computer Management) when I go to look @ my diskdrives (I have a new one, larger for data storage now)...

Anyone ever see this before & have to get around it/fix it?

The ODD part is, the 2 services associated w/ it (Logical Disk Manager & Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service) startup, NO problem in services.msc...

Yet, when I go to use the Disk Management portion of Computer Management, I still cannot get into it to format that new diskdrive I got!

(CompUSA store in my area closed down @ a local mall, & I picked up a Samsung SpinPoint 250gb disk to move files from a WD "Raptor" 74gb I have here which is only 7gb away from being totally full).

So, then I checked the service dependencies & none of them (Plug & Play, + RPC) are turned off either... they are on right away as "Automatic" services when I boot up.

Would the shares on the disks matter here? OR, since I set the Logical Disk Manager 2 services noted above as "MANUAL", do you think setting them to AUTOMATIC on startup might help here??

Thanks... this is "perplexing me" greatly!

APK

Alec§taar, Sep 14, 2019
  4. "RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management

Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue "RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

"RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management

1. "RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management - Similar Threads - RPC server available

2. RPC server.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RPC server.: What is the problem if your PC says that the RPC server is not available when signing in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rpc-server/64c0f6b1-6916-483e-93ac-a1c707bc91aa
  3. RPC server.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RPC server.: What is the problem if your PC says that the RPC server is not available when signing in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rpc-server/64c0f6b1-6916-483e-93ac-a1c707bc91aa
  4. disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk management: hello , i was trying to merge two partitions in windows by disk management , so i moved all my files from one partition to another and then formatted it , and then i make it unallocated by deleting the volume then i extended the wanted partition and then it asked me this...
  5. At log-on: RPC server is not available

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    At log-on: RPC server is not available: I just bought a new Asus laptop, and when I power it up, at the log-in screen the background picture is the same one that appears after hibernation. More about that in a moment. I enter my password, and then a blue screen appears that says that the RPC server is not...
  6. disk management on remote computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk management on remote computer: Hi, in Disk Management (W10) I don't see an option for connection to remote computer. Just wondering is it possible by another means... Thanks. 150008
  7. "RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "RPC server not available" - Computer Management/Disk Management: For months now I have been unable to connect USB drives automatically in Win 10. When I go to Computer Management/Disk Management I often see the drive there, but with no drive letter, so I have to manually add the drive with a new drive letter. If I try to "Refresh" or...
  8. disk management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk management: I have a 250 gb ssd and a 2 tb hard drive the ssd is full and the hard drive is empty. How do I change settings so I will still have the boot speed of the ssd but free up some space??...
  9. Disk management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk management: I am struggling with Disk Manager in that I created a backup and a repair disk as part of the process of upgrading the SSD in my laptop. I moved up from a 128G to a 1T. All worked well, except that when I performed the disk recover, the attributes of the 128G disk remained....
  10. Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management: [ATTACH] Disk management is not working properly please look at screenshot and help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management/eea44ecd-8c8a-4293-aa2a-623e26040b1b