Windows 10: RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage

Discus and support RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a WordPad document with all kinds of assorted ideas for future story content. I open the file one night to make a small edit only to find that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DerrickMcQuiston Jr., Jun 10, 2020.

1. RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage

I have a WordPad document with all kinds of assorted ideas for future story content. I open the file one night to make a small edit only to find that the document was completely blank. It was replaced by a giant highlightable space. The file properties show the same file size as before. I've tried multiple methods of repair: online file recovery, repair kits, opening the file in Word, and Notepad. Nothing's working so far. When I open the file, it shows a bunch of incoherent garbles of nonsense characters but oddly when I go to search for it in file explorer under my laptop username, results come up, but in one search result, the file indexer under the view layout of contents, it shows a snippet of what the text document starts with. Not only that, but it shows up exactly the way it's supposed to appear. So, that convinces me that there is a way to salvage it. Also, the file properties information such as the date modified are different. This is not making any sense whatsoever. I'm wondering if there is any possible way I could retrieve the text. Even if it's only the plain text and I would have to do some formatting edits would be totally fine with me. As long as I can get all the readable plain text back. Here are some screenshots to get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage e464c1f2-23a4-4660-af2d-b3f89c4cc16f?upload=true.jpg RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage 93172dd0-5b91-458e-9443-52ce23520c54?upload=true.jpg

RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage 8972fdf5-a197-4493-b736-978d3b9a8464?upload=true.jpg RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage a08eecec-b726-4c6d-b597-8f4a2aafe62f?upload=true.jpg

:)

DerrickMcQuiston Jr., Jun 10, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

rtf. file

Hi Michelle,

Some documents when saved takes up space due to its components. For us to help you with your concern, we'd like to know if your rtf file has images on it.

Meanwhile, if your rtf file has pure texts, we suggest that you follow the steps below to reduce the size of your rtf file:

• Compose your rtf file in Microsoft Word.
    • Instead of saving, copy and paste your composition to WordPad. All the formatting is copied over too.
    • Save the document with WordPad, and you'll get a significantly smaller file.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, Jun 10, 2020
  3. Power outage caused programs to disappear and/or become disfunctional

Hello,

There are few factors that can contribute to the issue you are encountering. Power outages can result in data loss, corruption of folders/files, and programs not functioning.

To assist you further, kindly provide more details by answering the following questions:

• Which browser are you using to check the passwords and favorites section? Provide the list of browsers where you encountered the concern.
    • Have you tried using another account to verify if the programs are still missing on your program list?

There is a possibility that the drive index has been corrupted. We highly suggest that you check your hard drive and scan for errors by following these steps:

• Open This PC on File Explorer and locate your hard drive.
    • Right-click and choose Properties.
    • Under Tools tab, click on Check Now button.

After scanning the hard drive, hidden files and folders, as well as lost data can be restored.

Additionally, we advise running the System File Checker as another way for us to check or scan for data corruptions in Windows system files that can be affected by the power outage. To do so, follow the steps on this article:

Using System File Checker in Windows 10.

Let us know of any details pertaining to your concern.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jun 10, 2020
  4. RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage

Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage

1. RTF File Corrupted from laptop power outage - Similar Threads - RTF File Corrupted

2. Power Outage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Outage: Hi, there was a sudden power outage in my area and my PC was shut down. I was able to turn on the PC without issue but when I run DISM it says I have errors?C:\Windows\System32>DISM/sfc /scannow Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.22621.2792 Error: 87...
  3. Power Outage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Outage: Hi, there was a sudden power outage in my area and my PC was shut down. I was able to turn on the PC without issue but when I run DISM it says I have errors?C:\Windows\System32>DISM/sfc /scannow Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.22621.2792 Error: 87...
  4. Windows Corrupt after Power Outage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Corrupt after Power Outage: I was resetting a Windows 10 desktop and there was a power outage when it was only at 64%.The computer then would flash the Dell logo booting and then flash the Windows Reset screen still at 64% and then it just repeats over and over.Eventually we unplugged it and then the...
  5. Recovering Corrupted RTF File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Corrupted RTF File: I have a journal for this year that I use in Jarte. Jarte has corrupted a file like this before, a few years ago. I was never able to restore that and gave up. But this one I need. In Jarte, Wordpad, and Notepad, it is blank. In Word, it is blocks. It should be almost 200...
  6. Sudden power outages and corrupt windows

Sudden power outages and corrupt windows: Due to the pandemic, my area has seen a surge in the frequency of power outages which out of nowhere seem to destroy my ongoing work. This happens usually for 3-4 times a week which not only has destroyed some of my best work but has also impacted windows installed on my PC....
  7. Major Windows 10 corruption after power outage

Major Windows 10 corruption after power outage: Major Windows 10 corruption after power outage After restarting my PC after a power outage, Windows 10 has a multitude of issues. Those issues are as follows: - cannot type into start menu, and generally cannot use start menu. - no internet connection except sometimes in...
  8. Corrupt RTF file

Corrupt RTF file: Unfortunately, a PC mishap caused an .RTF file to become badly corrupted. It is still relatively sizeable, so I would be under the assumption that some content is still there. The size may be due to the number of dodgy lines that are displayed in the file. But what I would...
  9. RTF file corrupted

RTF file corrupted: I have been writing an RTF file for one year now, and I got home from a trip to discover that the entire thing was corrupted. I opened the file and it was blank. Still had highlightable text and the correct length, as if it was all spaces. Once I opened it and found this I...
  10. Battery Backup For Laptop When Power Outage?

in Windows 10 Support
    Battery Backup For Laptop When Power Outage?: Hey all got a question. I have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop and i have it charged into outlet almost always. But if i disconnect it from outlet, i get around 2 hour battery life at the most it seem before i have to recharge it. The thing is when im doing certain things, i have...