Windows 10: Rufus kills my USB drives when using MBR partitioning for old computers.

Discus and support Rufus kills my USB drives when using MBR partitioning for old computers. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, my previous USB was dead after using it to burn a Windows image using Rufus and I thought it was natural so I bought another one. But to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ameri9595, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Rufus kills my USB drives when using MBR partitioning for old computers.

Hi, my previous USB was dead after using it to burn a Windows image using Rufus and I thought it was natural so I bought another one.

But to my surprise this one died to as soon as I finished burning Windows in MBR partion scheme.

What am I even doing wrong here? How do I recover my USBs? The computer plays a sound when I plug them but they never show up in My PC, they only show up in Disk Management but trying to format them there does nothing.

submitted by /u/ameri9595
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ameri9595, Feb 27, 2021
  2. sinlog Win User

Partitions created by rufus

I downloaded the windows 10 install iso and I used rufus to copy it to a usb stick. I then installed the OS. Four partitions were created in my hard drive. I can also see that rufus created its own partition uefi_ntfs in the usb stick.

How can I get rid of the partitions added by rufus in the hard drive and in the usb stick ? I don't need them, for years I have booted in uefi without rufus' help. I feel invaded.

sinlog, Feb 27, 2021
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Partitions created by rufus

The extra partition you mention of UEFI-NTFS is what Rufus uses to fool a UEFI system into booting from something other than a FAT 32 partition on the USB drive.

Saltgrass, Feb 27, 2021
  4. W1zzard Win User

Rufus kills my USB drives when using MBR partitioning for old computers.

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

Rufus kills my USB drives when using MBR partitioning for old computers.

1. Rufus kills my USB drives when using MBR partitioning for old computers. - Similar Threads - Rufus kills USB

2. Laptop local drive not seen when using ISO bootable USB created with Rufus, but local drive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop local drive not seen when using ISO bootable USB created with Rufus, but local drive...: I have several laptops & desktops along with volume licensing.On the desktops, my bootable win 10/win11 iso works just fine created with Rufus, I can boot to the USB and install windows on the local drive, no issues. When I use that same USB on several variations of laptops...
  3. Laptop local drive not seen when using ISO bootable USB created with Rufus, but local drive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop local drive not seen when using ISO bootable USB created with Rufus, but local drive...: I have several laptops & desktops along with volume licensing.On the desktops, my bootable win 10/win11 iso works just fine created with Rufus, I can boot to the USB and install windows on the local drive, no issues. When I use that same USB on several variations of laptops...
  4. Laptop local drive not seen when using ISO bootable USB created with Rufus, but local drive...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. UEFI and BIOS when old main drive is MBR

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI and BIOS when old main drive is MBR: Hi Windows10 people, Thanks for checking this post. It's quite a yes or no question, but here are the details. I have a y530 legion with windows 10 on HDD installed I bought a new nvme ssd and want to set it as my boot drive My old hdd drive will be kept as a storage and...
  6. New partition killed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New partition killed hard drive: I'm trying to assist a lady via TeamViewer with her Win10 1909.18363.1082. The problem started after I generated a 529MB partition (D:) on her hard drive. It ran and completed as usual but after boot up a BIOS screen popped up (American Megatrends): "GPT header corruption has...
  7. Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus

Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus: Should I install windows 10 in gpt or mbr partition scheme?using rufus thank u*Smile 146156
  8. Using Rufus to create installation USB

Using Rufus to create installation USB: Hi all, I've been having ridiculous amounts of trouble getting the Media Install tool (whatever its called) from Microsoft to create an USB Installer for windows - I'm done with it, don't want to use it. I've heard there's a program called Rufus, from here: https://rufus.ie...
  9. Partitions created by rufus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Partitions created by rufus: I downloaded the windows 10 install iso and I used rufus to copy it to a usb stick. I then installed the OS. Four partitions were created in my hard drive. I can also see that rufus created its own partition uefi_ntfs in the usb stick. How can I get rid of the partitions...
  10. Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive: Hi all, Having had a problem using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive Ive decided to use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO and then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. After downloading Rufus onto my...