Windows 10: Ruined SSD due to Windows Update

Discus and support Ruined SSD due to Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft, Let me tell you a story... A PC that is not being used regularly due to annual leave, Windows begins to install the latest 'update'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AnthonyMurphyHelp, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Ruined SSD due to Windows Update

Hi Microsoft,

Let me tell you a story...

A PC that is not being used regularly due to annual leave, Windows begins to install the latest 'update' (lets not hide the truth - you are practically renewing the OS every 6 months! leading to exorbitant update times and downtime!) and successfully shuts down.

We go to boot the PC a week or so and we get passed the Fujitsu screen and instead of Windows booting the login screen, we are greeted with a blank black screen followed 3 minutes later by an automatic reboot then the splash screen saying 'Failure Fixed Disk'. Basically, your update completely screwed the SSD over.

90 minutes on the phone with our external IT provider going through various steps including loading the recovery disk, running check disk (apparently no issues!) and then Start Up repair which fails. So we get to the limit of what can be done remotely - off to the IT provider's offices to be told that the SSD is physically broken as we attempt a clean install which fails twice!

Solution: new SSD, several hours of IT support which we are being invoiced for, and a Finance Director without an office-based PC.

my question: where do I send the invoice!?

Thanks,

A rather fed up IT manager who is sick of Windows releasing shockingly poor updates!

:)

AnthonyMurphyHelp, Aug 21, 2019
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Win 10 update ruined my computer

I will gladly dispose of any "ruined computer" that Windows 10 has "ruined". Just ship them to me and I will take care of disposing of the "ruined" hardware!

NavyLCDR, Aug 21, 2019
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Aug 21, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Ruined SSD due to Windows Update

Disappearing SSD & failing Windows Updates

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. However, to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Which build version of Windows is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.

Method 1: Updating Storage drivers

It could be an issue with the drivers that is why the SSD is not getting detected after a restart. We can try updating the drivers and see if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below to update the drivers:

1. Press Windows key + X, to open Context menu.
    2. Click on Device Manager.
    3. Expand Disk drives.
    4. Right click on the driver and select Update driver.
    5. If prompted for restart, please restart the PC.

You can also go ahead and check for Storage drivers from the computer manufacturer’s website. If there are storage drivers available, please download and install them.

Method 2: Updating firmware for the SSD

This issue could occur if the latest firmware for the SSD is not installed. You can download latest firmware from the SSD manufacturer website and install it.

For update issue, I would suggest you to please refer the troubleshooting steps in the article

Fix Windows Update errors
    and see if that helps in resolving the issue.

Note: The above article has the steps to perform a clean install of Windows.
    You may take a backup of the data before performing a clean installation.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

Ruined SSD due to Windows Update

1. Ruined SSD due to Windows Update - Similar Threads - Ruined SSD due

2. Windows update ruines sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update ruines sound: EVerytime, I still dont know what procedures i go through to fix it, a bunch of random reboots and frustration and it starts working again. The headphone jack doesnt know its plugged in, this is a software issue, the smart jack is so smart. Sound test works playing through...
  3. Windows update ruines sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update ruines sound: EVerytime, I still dont know what procedures i go through to fix it, a bunch of random reboots and frustration and it starts working again. The headphone jack doesnt know its plugged in, this is a software issue, the smart jack is so smart. Sound test works playing through...
  4. Windows updates ruined my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updates ruined my PC: Hello all,A few days ago my PC was installing updates. My PC tried restarting, turned itself off again, and restarted yet again, but this time I seem to receive no output power, my mouse, keyboard and monitor no longer work, has anyone experienced anything similar to this?,...
  5. Windows update ruined my taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update ruined my taskbar: I recently got an update to my pc I already downloaded windows 11 and it was fine, this is an update after, and when I turned it on, it took ages to prepare windows, and almost all my files were gone luckily I had onedrive!. There is also nothing appearing on the task bar...
  6. Update ruined computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update ruined computer: Hi guys. I’m not an expert but I’m reasonably tech savvy and can follow instructions. My computer has an SSD, plenty of room and I’ve never had a problem with it. It has been the perfect computer until I installed the latest updates. Audio doesn’t work at all and the...
  7. Windows update always ruins pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update always ruins pc: As the title says I wasn’t able to not do the windows update and it has yet again bricked my pc, unable to wipe it, D:\windows\system32\Logfiles\Srt\Srttrisl.txt is what I have also bad system config info, I have watch a bunch of videos about it and did stuff in cmd prompt to...
  8. Can chkdsk /r ruin an SSD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can chkdsk /r ruin an SSD?: I accidentally ran chkdsk /r on my SSD. I know it's not good to do it on an SSD, so I force shut down the computer while it was doing the check. It booted back up but was acting weird, so I restarted it. The my PC got caught in a BSOD NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM stop code boot loop....
  9. Can't update Windows due to space in SSD 32GB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't update Windows due to space in SSD 32GB: Hi, I have a Lenovo 120S Laptop with Windows 10 . It's been acting weird for long time. I tried to update it but there is no room enough in the memory card. I remove everything non essential, but still not getting free memory space required. Every time I start the Laptop,...
  10. Update ruined me

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Update ruined me: Dell ins. 5050 windows 10 update now computer will not load and has no previous build to restore to!!!!! What can I do to get pc going without a recovery disc...