Windows 10: Rules for populating Date attribute of files (e.g., display and sort on Date in Windows...

Discus and support Rules for populating Date attribute of files (e.g., display and sort on Date in Windows... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The rules populating the Date attribute for files in Windows 10 1809 are not clear and changed substantially between Windows7 and 10. The Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by J80, Jun 19, 2019.

1. J80
    J80 Win User

Rules for populating Date attribute of files (e.g., display and sort on Date in Windows...

The rules populating the Date attribute for files in Windows 10 1809 are not clear and changed substantially between Windows7 and 10. The Windows 10 rule appears to be approximately populate Date from Date Modified (or maybe the later of Date Modified and Date Created). Date Last Saved may also be a factor. Sometimes an internal attribute for some file types takes precedence when present: Date Taken from exif for many image files takes precedence for Date over Date Modified.

Note I have not found a remotely complete list of internal attribute with corresponding file type (e.g., Date Taken for .jpg)..

Note that copying a file versus moving a file has different effects on Date Created and Date Modified and also depends on the file system (NTFS v. FAT). The only apparently complete rules for several file systems for Windows 7 disappeared. Downloading a file can result in Date Created being later than Date Modified.

Note Windows 7 works partially opposite from Windows 10 1809: Win7 Date is the earlier of Date Created or Date Modified while Win10 Date is either later of created or modified OR just uses Date Modified. (My Win10 sample examples didn't distinguish between these cases.)

:)

2. J80
    J80 Win User

Rules for populating Date attribute of files (e.g., display and sort on Date in Windows (File) Explorer) (image v. sound v. PDF, etc.) (NTFS v. FAT) (Date v. Modified or Created)

The rules populating the Date attribute for files in Windows 10 1809 are not clear and changed substantially between Windows7 and 10. The Windows 10 rule appears to be
    approximately populate Date from Date Modified (or maybe the later of Date Modified and Date Created). Date Last Saved may also be a factor. Sometimes an internal attribute for some file types takes precedence when present:
    Date Taken from exif for many image files takes precedence for Date over Date Modified.

Note I have not found a remotely complete list of internal attribute with corresponding file type (e.g., Date Taken for .jpg)..

Note that copying a file versus moving a file has different effects on Date Created and Date Modified and also depends on the file system (NTFS v. FAT). The only apparently complete rules for several file systems for Windows 7 disappeared. Downloading
    a file can result in Date Created being later than Date Modified.

Note Windows 7 works partially opposite from Windows 10 1809: Win7 Date is the
    earlier of Date Created or Date Modified while Win10 Date is either
    later
    of created or modified OR just uses Date Modified. (My Win10 sample examples didn't distinguish between these cases.)

3. J80
    J80 Win User
    Rules for populating Date attribute of files (e.g., display and sort on Date in Windows (File) Explorer) (image v. sound v. PDF, etc.) (NTFS v. FAT) (Date v. Modified or Created)

So what are the rules for populating Date attribute?

Try setting up Windows (File) Explorer to show Type, Extension, Date, Date Created, Date Modified, Date Last Saved, Date Taken, and perhaps a few more in View Details mode. Compare Date attribute values with other date based attributes
    values. Be sure to look at a variety of file types and several folders if necessary.

Focusing where Date Created <> Date Modified, I immediately see some files where
    Date = Date Modified (also = Date Last Saved). Another file has Date = Date Taken. A few (sub)folders have
    Date = Date Created. Several files have Date = Date Created, but Date Modified is only 1 minute later (3 minutes in one case), so I wonder if this is a timing or duration artifact (e.g., for virus check or when a completed download temp file
    is copied to the final location) and Date Created is really effectively equal to Date Modified. I don't see a situation where Date Modified is earlier than Date Created (although I have in the past) so I can't evaluate that case.

4. Graeme.P Win User

Rules for populating Date attribute of files (e.g., display and sort on Date in Windows...

Sort by date added to folder

Hi there, thanks for your question.

In File Explorer, all sorting options can be viewed by following these steps:

- Open the folder and right click inside of it, not on a file.

- Go to Sort by > More.

This brings up a list of all possibilities of what to sort by. It doesn't look like there's an options for "date added to folder", but one of the other Date options may help, such as Date Created. You could create a copy of the file and move it in, so that
    the date created matches the date added to the folder?

Please let me know if you need more information! Thanks!

Graeme.P, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Rules for populating Date attribute of files (e.g., display and sort on Date in Windows... - Similar Threads - Rules populating Date

2. How to sort files by date added

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to sort files by date added: How do i sort files by the date they were added to the folder, not the date they were created? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-files-by-date-added/8391ea82-1e52-4b8e-b38b-b41758cf9bc5
  3. How to sort files by date added

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to sort files by date added: How do i sort files by the date they were added to the folder, not the date they were created? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-files-by-date-added/8391ea82-1e52-4b8e-b38b-b41758cf9bc5
  4. sort by date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sort by date: I download and collect a lot of anime pics. I have noticed ,that sometime recently, the sort by date setting ,no longer sorts them by the date I downloaded them, but rather by the original date on the picture. is there any way I can revert it back to using the date...
  5. sort by date

sort by date: I download and collect a lot of anime pics. I have noticed ,that sometime recently, the sort by date setting ,no longer sorts them by the date I downloaded them, but rather by the original date on the picture. is there any way I can revert it back to using the date...
  6. File Folder Sorting by date in name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Folder Sorting by date in name: I have folders where the name starts with the date. IE: 04.14.21 Name, which is April 14, 2021. How do I sort these by Newest to Oldest date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-sorting-by-date-in-name/618a448c-717d-40bb-870b-a52badbddc56
  7. Sort files by date with folders on top

Sort files by date with folders on top: Until recently, when I used File Explorer, the folder list was always at the top! If I want to sort everything inside a folder by name ascending, it put the folders on top by name ascending then files next by name ascending. If I want to sort everything inside a folder by...
  8. File Explorer Create date attribute

File Explorer Create date attribute: When I change a file create date to any date before 1980, File Explorer does not show the date attribute and sorting by date does not work. I am using Bulk File Changer or Attribute Changer to change the attribute. I believe this is a bug....
  9. Sorting photos by date

Sorting photos by date: I'm scanning and adding many old photos. The Photo app sees the Date Created as the date I scanned the photos. I thought if I filed them by date in My Pictures, they would appear by that date in Photos. Do I really have to go back to each photo and change the date created?...
  10. File Explorer sort by date not accurate

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sort by date not accurate: To my knowledge the SORT BY DATE order goes off the last Saved Date not the Created Date but for the life of me I've been getting things showing up in the wrong order occasionally and it's started effecting a syncing program that I use. My clock is set correctly and when I go...