Windows 10: "run as administrator" does not work

Discus and support "run as administrator" does not work in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I am logged on as administrator yes, I am sure. When I try any of the "run as administrator" shortcuts on programs nothing happens. I used to be able... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by DickYates1, Feb 11, 2020.

1. "run as administrator" does not work

I am logged on as administrator yes, I am sure. When I try any of the "run as administrator" shortcuts on programs nothing happens. I used to be able to do this - maybe as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

:)

DickYates1, Feb 11, 2020
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
      Code:
      Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -force
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. "run as administrator" does not work :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Feb 11, 2020
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Feb 11, 2020
  4. "run as administrator" does not work

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

"run as administrator" does not work

1. "run as administrator" does not work - Similar Threads - run administrator does

2. 'Run as administrator' is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Run as administrator' is not working: When I try to run the command prompt as administrator it shows 'the requested operation requires elevation, even UAC shows the same, I enter the admin password but it still shows the same. What is the solution for solving this?...
  3. 'Run as administrator' is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Run as administrator' is not working: When I try to run the command prompt as administrator it shows 'the requested operation requires elevation, even UAC shows the same, I enter the admin password but it still shows the same. What is the solution for solving this?...
  4. Run as Administrator Not Working Properly

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Run as Administrator Not Working Properly: This problem started about a month ago. When I'm in my normal user account, if I right-click on an icon and choose as "Run as administrator" instead of it prompting me for the admin account/password it just opens application as the current user, which doesn't have admin...
  5. "run as administrator" does now work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "run as administrator" does now work: user is admin account and under admin group. just update to ver-21H1 FROM 20h2 no help, when trying-wheel goes around 1 sec then nothing. so sfc and dism will not work since i can not run as admin. now sure what caused this problem but machine is in group of 6 and none of the...
  6. run as administrator is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    run as administrator is not working: I am facing a problem from last few days when I tried to install or uninstall any program or try to run programs as an administrator every time I get an error like that [ATTACH]...
  7. "run as administrator" not work !!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    "run as administrator" not work !!!!: "run as administrator" not working....!!! for example if I try to run cmd with administrator, This is what happened [ATTACH] another example I try to install stuff and I right click the .exe and click "run as administrator" same things happened again. [ATTACH]...
  8. Run as administrator not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Run as administrator not working in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are trying to use the Run as administrator context menu option in Windows 10 but find that it is not working or opening the program with administrator privilege, then you may need to carry out a few things. [...] This post Run as administrator not...
  9. run as administrator windows 10 not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    run as administrator windows 10 not working: when run as administrator windows 10 ( OK ) not show 126344
  10. Run As Administrator does nothing even as enabled guest administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Run As Administrator does nothing even as enabled guest administrator: I cannot run a file as an administrator. When I do so from my UAC I get a prompt asking if I want the file to make changes to my computer and once I click yes I get a flash of a what looks like the outline of a file window and then nothing happens. I just enabled the...