Windows 10: Run as Administrator greyed out on Shortcuts after Update

Discus and support Run as Administrator greyed out on Shortcuts after Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had to reinstall some language packs and then reinstall my latest windows update so that it would fix the broken search, but now, in typical Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spacedog, Sep 7, 2016.

1. spacedog Win User

Run as Administrator greyed out on Shortcuts after Update

I had to reinstall some language packs and then reinstall my latest windows update so that it would fix the broken search, but now, in typical Windows 10 whack-a-mole fashion, I can no longer run shortcuts to .bat files as an administrator.

I have a number of .bat files to do things like quickly reconfigure my network settings and I have made shortcuts to those .bat files and then used Properties > Shortcut >Advanced... to enable 'Run as administrator' so these shortcuts can execute the .bat files with elevated privileges. After this last update / debacle with the language packs, this feature is greyed out. Furthermore, I have no option to use the right-click 'Run as administrator..' options on the .bat files or their shortcuts.

It is not systemwide. .exe files and shortcuts to .exe files seem to work fine. UAC is enabled and set at 'default' on my system.

I ran sfc /scannow and had no issues reported.

:)

spacedog, Sep 7, 2016

2. Command Prompt Properties, "Enable ctrl key shortcuts" choice is greyed out and unable to be selected

Win 10 Pro -- Administrator, Command Prompt, Command Properties, Options, Edit Options, - "Enable ctrl key shortcuts" choice is ghosted (greyed out and unable to be selected). Only Edit options available are Quick edit and Insert Modes. How to remedy to
    allow cut and paste of shortcuts keys in command prompt screen?

JeffGelatka, Sep 7, 2016
  3. I am running W10 & can't access : run as administrator ?

I am running the new W10 OS. If I go to File Explorer I cannot access "Run as Administrator" the yes box is greyed out & states to type an Administrator Password & then click Yes ( the Yes box is greyed out so cannot use ). On the User Accounts page, there
    is my name & photo, under is my email address & Guest Account, Password protected ( can't access it either & can't ever remember setting up a 'Guest Account ' ) ?

There are a number of other Apps that cannot be accessed, same deal Yes box is greyed out so cannot "Run as Administrator" ?

Please advise.

DennisCockley, Sep 7, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

These problems can be hard to track down. Do you have a restore point to revert to a previously working state? If not, you could recover from backup if you have one or perform an in place repair install.

Steve C, Sep 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Run as Administrator greyed out on Shortcuts after Update - Similar Threads - Run Administrator greyed

2. Modify Button grey out in "Indexing" and Indexing not running

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modify Button grey out in "Indexing" and Indexing not running: Hello, I have following few problems, if someone can help. 1. Windows Indexing is not running. (Tried method of rebuild but not working) 2. Modify button is grey out and no folder is currently present in the indexing options. 3. Windows Search is in hang state...
  3. Pause Updates Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pause Updates Greyed Out: Is there any way to permanently disable updates? My computer is vital to my job. The last couple of months of updates have consistently taken my computer down for weeks at a time. Microsoft updates have been catastrophic. If I could completely disable updates, I would be...
  4. "Check for Updates" option is greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Check for Updates" option is greyed out: Hi ,I am using Windows 10 Pro and the ""Check for Updates" option is greyed out . In the past I had changed some registry and group policy settings to stop windows update but now I want to update windows and forgot which settings I've changed. Is there anyway to roll back...
  5. Make a Shortcut Always Run as a Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Make a Shortcut Always Run as a Administrator: How do you make a shortcut (on my desktop) always Run as a Administrator ? Thanks for any help with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/make-a-shortcut-always-run-as-a-administrator/c09bf487-952b-4a51-80ed-732ac96ea3b2
  6. Administrator command prompt greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    Administrator command prompt greyed out: Hi guys, I just recently built a desktop computer it's running windows 10. the problem is there's only one account on it that's the administrator account that's me. I can run everything else as the administrator applications, settings, power shell ect. The administrator...
  7. Running as Administrator from Startup shortcut?

in Windows 10 Support
    Running as Administrator from Startup shortcut?: Up until now one of my programs has always run on booting up. Its shortcut is in my Startup folder. I have now re-configured the shortcut to 'Run as Administrator', for all users. It works correctly when d-clicked manually. But it no longer starts on startup. Is that to...
  8. Start menu "greyed out" after Creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu "greyed out" after Creators update: So, my start menu greyed out after Creators update, - https://i.gyazo.com/c17e75bb1a743d38...897d67e5d2.png What can I do about it? Please help, need advice. I tried reboot, switch start menu settings, end explorer.exe process and start it again - didn't help. 81254
  9. Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't run a shortcut in startup folder as administrator: I have a program shortcut in the startup folder that I need to run as admin, otherwise it prompts me to do it manually after the system starts, which is annoying. The Shortcut tab has an Advanced button where I can check a Run as Admin box, but the system does not let me...
  10. Set Desktop Shortcuts to Run As Administrator (.urls)

in Windows 10 Support
    Set Desktop Shortcuts to Run As Administrator (.urls): So long story short I've created a brand new install of Windows 10 and created a local Administrator account called Pete. I placed a bunch of standard .url shortcuts on the desktop that open in IE11. My problem is that some of these sites need need iexplore.exe to Run As...