Windows 10: Run Box is Saving File History Even After Clear

Discus and support Run Box is Saving File History Even After Clear in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; the run box Win+R is saving recent file history even after I clear it. I've tried everything I can think of and followed every guide I could find, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by fun840, Apr 18, 2021.

1. fun840 Win User

Run Box is Saving File History Even After Clear

the run box Win+R is saving recent file history even after I clear it. I've tried everything I can think of and followed every guide I could find, but nothing has been working. I have tried deleting registry keys [COLOR=rgba32, 33, 36, 1]RunMRU[/COLOR] and clearing it from file explorer, but none of those fixed it. I tried CCleaner, which worked once, but hasn't worked since. I can clear run command history, but as soon as I type in 'C', all of the paths to recent files on the C drive appear. Here is an image:

Run Box is Saving File History Even After Clear 16fd8a34-73fb-403f-b0be-4b4bd88d00d3?upload=true.png

This shows what I mean, and I really want to clear this because I use Run a lot and there are some files that I don't want to appear when I open it. I'll try to respond as soon as I can to any comments, TIA!

:)

fun840, Apr 18, 2021
  2. Anak Win User

Run Command Box not Auto-Saving Suggestions

I know the run box was saving my entries in the auto-suggestion menu when I first purchased my machine (system one) but I don't know when it stopped, a recent update perhaps?

This first snip shows my entry for regedit and the result after I tested three times to see if regedit would be saved and it wasn't, this happens with any CMD I try to run, if I open to click on a previous CMD I am presented with an empty suggestion box.

Run Box is Saving File History Even After Clear [​IMG]

I searched and found a tutorial from @Brink on how to empty the suggestion box where the registry key is located and that result is shown in this snip, my registry key is super imposed on Shawn's .bat file:

From Shawn's win8 tutorial:

Note The auto suggestions history for the Run dialog are stored in the RunMRU registry key below. This is what the .bat file below will delete for you automatically to clear the history. The next time you open something from Run, the RunMRU key will automatically be recreated and will save the new history.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU
    From the note would the general consensus be that if I delete that key it would jump start the auto-suggestion box into working again or would the problem lie elsewhere?

3. dalchina Win User
    Windows + Run history

Hi, you might try
    Run "Auto Suggest" History - Delete in Windows | Windows 8 Help Forums
    (yes, '10 too)
    possibly
    Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10

Then see if anything more unwanted is picked up as run box autosuggest or history.

*** Guess what- the same has started happening to me with 1903 18362.720- typing w also suggests a couple of URL addresses..

Light dawns- the two URLs shown are two I saved not from FFox but another small program yesterday...

dalchina, Apr 18, 2021
  4. sleepless Win User

Need help to clear Run history.

This is one of many guides on how to do what I was asking - clearing the history from the Run window:

How to Remove An Item from RUN Dialog Box History / MRU List in Windows? - AskVG

However there were no such entries in the registry when I checked. So there was nothing there to clear. The "solution" posted by bro67 simply didn't work for me. I'm still looking for a solution.

sleepless, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

1. Run Box is Saving File History Even After Clear - Similar Threads - Run Box Saving

2. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  3. Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer - Clear File Explorer History, does not clear history: In Windows 11 Enterprise Edition when going to:Win+EThree DotsOptionsTab "General"Section "Privacy"Button "Clear"The expectation is that using the Clear button will erase all File Explorer History. However when pressing the Clear button nothing is being erased and all files...
  4. Clearing File History Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clearing File History Drive: I use File History, Windows 10 2004. Over time, the File History drive gets full. Often that's because some folders have got very large and I no longer need them in the backup. I want to remove these folders from the backup drive (not just stop them being backed up to the...
  5. Run dialog box typed history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dialog box typed history: Good evening, just a simple question, I use to have the history of my previous typed "cmd" in the run dialog box Can you tell me how to have back this helpful behaviour? thank you 160164
  6. clearing search history not clearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    clearing search history not clearing: I have tried the *** under history I still have search data. I have tried logging onto Microsoft to clear but the history still remains How do I clear this search history and keep it from storing?...
  7. Movie maker clear history/files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movie maker clear history/files...: How to clear windows movie maker history?? and why isn't there like a clear history button? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movie-maker-clear-historyfiles/dc21f761-abeb-414a-8c10-e69f50a4da3c
  8. Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files: I'm having problems with Windows 10 remembering recent files within the Run dialog. For example, if I press Windows key + R, and type the letter C into the dialog box, I get a list of recent files as follows:- [img] I have gone to Control Panel, File Explorer...
  9. File explorer search history is not clearing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer search history is not clearing: Hi I have gone through all the steps in the following thread, but my file search history is not clearing or updating. Search terms clear, but the old search reappears with deleted files on it. Search History in File Explorer - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums...
  10. Need help to clear Run history.

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help to clear Run history.: I've made sure there are no entries in the RunMRU key (there were none) and even tried deleting the key. Also restarted windows. There must be some settings elsewhere. What can I do to clear the history? [img] 69021