Windows 10: Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission?

Discus and support Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a virtual machine in Hyper-V with Active Directory role installed in it. There is a block level storage attached to the VM through iSCSI. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by llookkii, Dec 9, 2018.

1. llookkii Win User

Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission?

I have a virtual machine in Hyper-V with Active Directory role installed in it. There is a block level storage attached to the VM through iSCSI. The folders inside the iSCSI volume are shared with different user level permissions assigned to each folders. So, I am facing constant folder corruption in the folders inside the iSCSI disk. Is it common?

Running a checkdisk to fix the error (chkdsk /f) messes up all the permission of corrupted folders, as well as other folders in the iSCSI drive. This brought a panic situation when everyone could see the folders without any permissions. So, is there any way I can troubleshoot this? After the first chkdsk command, the problem reappeared and we are afraid to run the checkdisk again!

:)

llookkii, Dec 9, 2018
  2. llookkii Win User

I have a virtual machine in Hyper-V with Active Directory role installed in it. There is a block level storage attached to the VM through iSCSI. The folders inside the iSCSI volume are shared with different user level permissions assigned to each folders.
    So, I am facing constant folder corruption in the folders inside the iSCSI disk. Is it common?

Running a checkdisk to fix the error (chkdsk /f) messes up all the permission of corrupted folders, as well as other folders in the iSCSI drive. This brought a panic situation when everyone could see the folders without any permissions. So, is there any
    way I can troubleshoot this? After the first chkdsk command, the problem reappeared and we are afraid to run the checkdisk again!

llookkii, Jan 27, 2020
  3. erixx Win User
    Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

Forget it and get Windows 8! *Smile Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission? :)

Messing with permissions is really for advanced users, you can't win the Kernel with a crowbar *Smile Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission? :)

erixx, Jan 27, 2020
  4. Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission?

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission? - Similar Threads - Run Checkdisk without

2. dosvc running without permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dosvc running without permission: How is it dosvc running without permission, and even i stopped it, and it will relaunch again and run by itself? It said i dont have permission to disable it like whatt?...
  3. dosvc running without permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dosvc running without permission: How is it dosvc running without permission, and even i stopped it, and it will relaunch again and run by itself? It said i dont have permission to disable it like whatt?...
  4. dosvc running without permission

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Checkdisk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Checkdisk: My Dad's pc is stuck on checkdisk screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checkdisk/1f77efd3-0553-4a10-8877-05f388cbf12e
  6. Checkdisk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Checkdisk: My Dad's pc is stuck on checkdisk screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checkdisk/1f77efd3-0553-4a10-8877-05f388cbf12e
  7. Checkdisk

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. File permissions totally messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File permissions totally messed up: I was transferring data from my ssd to another computer, so I plugged in my ssd to another computer using an external drive. When I tried to access the ssd, it gave me "you don't currently have permission to access this folder" so I clicked continue to get permanent access....
  9. Computer's permissions messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer's permissions messed up: I downloaded Cisco WebEx Meetings for an interview and now my computer's permissions are all messed up. I am unable to access things that require administrator access like command prompt. I was also unable to run an executable I downloaded, update one of my games, and can't...
  10. messed up permissions windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    messed up permissions windows 10: Hello all, Dave here. I have done something that I have done before, with windows 7 on down. I had a laptop that had a broken power port, and the battery went dead. I ordered a new power socket. While I was waiting for parts, the owner wanted files off of it. I removed hard...