Windows 10: Run command history

Discus and support Run command history in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I recently noticed that if I insert a slash to my run command, it gives some old paths for a folder or file. I was unable to clear this even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Turang, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Turang Win User

Run command history

Hi!

I recently noticed that if I insert a slash to my run command, it gives some old paths for a folder or file.
    I was unable to clear this even though I followed this tutorial: Clear File Explorer and Run Dialog Box History in Windows 10
    If it's not a recent history, then what is it? What creates these paths that stays even the files get deleted?
    I was unable to get help from anywhere, googling always gave answers about clearing the recents history.
    Windows ver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746)

Run command history [​IMG]

:)

Turang, Feb 8, 2021

2. Windows + Run history

Hoping to get some help. My issue:

When I access the run function (my preferred method is Windows Key + R) it does not remember any of the commands I enter in it. It does however, seem to pull history from other places. e.g.
    If I type winver to check my version/build, the next time I come back and type the first letter w, instead of winver being suggested I get a list of recently visited urls (all which start with w as www.). If I type the letter c a list of files/folders recently accessed on the c drive is displayed and so on.

It appears to be pulling the history from other histories and anything typed in the run dialog is not remembered. I've searched for possible answers but none of the suggested remedies I've looked at have had any effect. I've inserted a screencap of the above mentioned example.

TIA Phil

Run command history [​IMG]

busdriver12, Feb 8, 2021
  3. Command history in Run dialog

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us with an update.

With your description, we tried to reproduce the issue and noticed the same. We can
    only see the last 26 executed run commands from the list, and it’s as per the design. However we don't have any manual option that displays all executed run commands with enabled scroll bar. Moreover it will still display
    the other run command when you start typing them into it, even though it won't display in that 26 executed run commands list.

Suggest you to post your feedback in this regard using Windows Feedback app, which helps us to improve you experience.

I appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

Keep us posted if you require any assistance with Windows.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 8, 2021
  4. Fabler2 Win User

Run command history

Fabler2, Feb 8, 2021
Thema:

Run command history

1. Run command history - Similar Threads - Run command history

2. Windows run commands

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows run commands: I've been having this issue since I started using windows 11. Whenever I use the Windows key + r and I want to run a application like notepad, mspaint they don't load. The only thing that works is CMD. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?...
  3. Powershell command history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell command history: Dear Forum,Please clarify the following queries.1 How to retain the command history across Powershell sessions?2 Linux allows increasing the history size using the env variable HISTSIZE. What is the equivalent in WIndows?3 Linux allows prefixing each command history with a...
  4. Powershell command history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell command history: Dear Forum,Please clarify the following queries.1 How to retain the command history across Powershell sessions?2 Linux allows increasing the history size using the env variable HISTSIZE. What is the equivalent in WIndows?3 Linux allows prefixing each command history with a...
  5. How to clear Run command history in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to clear Run command history in Windows 10: [ATTACH]This post will explain how to clear the Run dialog command history in Windows 10. The Run dialog box is a very powerful tool in Windows 10. You can use this utility to open your desired apps and documents directly whose path is known. All you need to type the app name...
  6. Windows + Run history

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows + Run history: Hoping to get some help. My issue: When I access the run function (my preferred method is Windows Key + R) it does not remember any of the commands I enter in it. It does however, seem to pull history from other places. e.g. If I type winver to check my version/build, the...
  7. File History not running

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not running: [img] Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I see someone else has this problem. How do I get on again doesn't help. Settings shows the drive letter H: listing twice, which is weird. A tutorial says you can reset File History without losing data....
  8. Run command not saving the history of commands used

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run command not saving the history of commands used: I bought refurbished Dell 5050 and noticed a difference from old Dell - both used Windows 10 Pro. When I use the run command, it does not put in the last used command automatically. My old Dell 7010 running Windows 10 Pro would display last used command but now each time I...
  9. Run History

in Windows 10 Support
    Run History: How do I enable the "Run History"? I have a bad memory and like commands like "regedit" or "services.msc" to stay in the history so I can just select them from a drop down. It was working until one of the updates, how can I re-enable it again? 128369
  10. Run command not saving History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Run command not saving History in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Auto-complete is one feature that makes executing same or similar commands easy. Whether you are typing in the Command Prompt or on Run prompt if what you are typing matches with previously executed command, you save a lot of time. [...] This post Run command not...