Windows 10: Run dialog box doesn't remember history

Discus and support Run dialog box doesn't remember history in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] All of a sudden my Run dialog box is empty. The icons on the left of the image are just part of my desktop. Also, if I put in something like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phrab, Sep 21, 2018.

1. phrab Win User

Run dialog box doesn't remember history

Run dialog box doesn't remember history [​IMG]
    All of a sudden my Run dialog box is empty. The icons on the left of the image are just part of my desktop. Also, if I put in something like "control printers" or gpedit.msc, they open, but the Run dialog box is empty the next time. I haven't made any updates recently, except Windows Defender. Any ideas how to correct this?
    Thanks in advance,

:)

phrab, Sep 21, 2018
  2. sleepless Win User

Need help to clear Run history.

This is one of many guides on how to do what I was asking - clearing the history from the Run window:

How to Remove An Item from RUN Dialog Box History / MRU List in Windows? - AskVG

However there were no such entries in the registry when I checked. So there was nothing there to clear. The "solution" posted by bro67 simply didn't work for me. I'm still looking for a solution.

sleepless, Sep 21, 2018
  3. Unable to clear Windows 10 Run dialog history of recent files

I'm having problems with Windows 10 remembering recent files within the Run dialog.

For example, if I press Windows key + R, and type the letter C into the dialog box, I get a list of recent files as follows:-

Run dialog box doesn't remember history [​IMG]

I have gone to Control Panel, File Explorer Options, and clicked on the Clear button within the Privacy section. This had no effect (even after reboot etc).

I have also deleted the contents of the following registry key:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

This seemed to clear recently run programs (I am old school and often run programs from here), but recently accessed files were still listed. Again I rebooted just in case.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

CA

CaptainAmateur, Sep 21, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

How to disable run dialog history? (disable, not empty)

Hi, as a guess, you might try changing the permissions on
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

A quick internet search (see my signature!) offers this (see second part on permissions)
    Tweak the History in the Run Dialog Box in Windows

dalchina, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Run dialog box doesn't remember history - Similar Threads - Run dialog box

2. New paint resize dialog box doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New paint resize dialog box doesn't work.: New paint resize dialog box doesn't work . It does take any input in the resize dialog box . Please provide satisfactory solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-paint-resize-dialog-box-doesnt-work/7adf59fd-a95a-4be5-8cee-8bacd45839e9
  3. New paint resize dialog box doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New paint resize dialog box doesn't work.: New paint resize dialog box doesn't work . It does take any input in the resize dialog box . Please provide satisfactory solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-paint-resize-dialog-box-doesnt-work/7adf59fd-a95a-4be5-8cee-8bacd45839e9
  4. Dialog boxes will not open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dialog boxes will not open: I'm using Windows 10 on an ASUS VivoBook. Sometime in the past few months, dialog boxes for Snip & Sketch and the HP Smart app have stopped working. When I click save on either of these apps, instead of a dialog box coming up for me to rename the file and choose where to save...
  5. Run dialog box typed history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dialog box typed history: Good evening, just a simple question, I use to have the history of my previous typed "cmd" in the run dialog box Can you tell me how to have back this helpful behaviour? thank you 160164
  6. This pc dialog box

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    This pc dialog box: My pc dialog box keeps comming up for no reason at all. Any suggestions on how to fix problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-pc-dialog-box/80473ef0-aea3-483e-bf22-d57158641d47
  7. windows 10 open/save dialog boxes do not remember resize

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 open/save dialog boxes do not remember resize: Windows 10 v1909. In every app, I when resize the Open file or Save As file dialog box, it will not remember the position or size when I resize and close it. The "open size" is the problem for me because it opens too small and I have to resize it to see more than a few...
  8. Run Dialog Box dysfunctional (Invisible text and doesn't always work)

in Windows 10 Support
    Run Dialog Box dysfunctional (Invisible text and doesn't always work): First things first, hey everyone! I'm a complete noobie to forums altogether, and usually i just spend time on them reading other ppls problems/solutions but i've never actually made a post myself (cause i guess i never really needed to ?), since most of them have already...
  9. How to disable run dialog history? (disable, not empty)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable run dialog history? (disable, not empty): How do I prevent windows from keeping a history of commands typed in the Run dialog box? I mean DISABLE not empty. The entries are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU Is there a .reg to disable it? 77683
  10. My run dialog box doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    My run dialog box doesn't work: Just did a clean install on 10 and was researching another problem that required the run box but mine doesn't seem to work. I get a response that 'it didn't open in a timely manner'. Any suggestions, thanks 34611

Users found this page by searching for:

1. empty history of run dialogue box

2. run windows doesnt remember history