Windows 10: RUN dialog

Discus and support RUN dialog in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Been fighting with this for very long time, Start > RUN doesn't display any past entries/commands, list is always empty, it opens up but nothing in it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CountMike, Aug 9, 2020.

1. CountMike Win User

RUN dialog

Been fighting with this for very long time, Start > RUN doesn't display any past entries/commands, list is always empty, it opens up but nothing in it, empty like a pocket, nothing, nada and not even that. Works fine in insider build on same machine, All customizing is transferred between builds via Winaero tweaker and synchronization between devices is enabled.
    What the heck is going on ?

:)

CountMike, Aug 9, 2020
  2. Alvan Z Win User

run cmd files should show modal or modeless dialog boxes?

I noticed odd behaviour with the "open file security warning" dialog box, but it can happen to other dialog boxes as well.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Create a .cmd file in which you call a 'blocked' installer with a dialog box.
    2. If you just Run the cmd-file, you will get the "open file security warning" in a modal dialog box, which is a good thing, I think: The user will always see the dialog box. But if you Run as administrator, the dialog boxes are shown in a modeless state.
      In this way the dialog boxes can be in the background and the user can wait forever, because it is possible he/she doesn't notice the dialog box (behind the command prompt).

Is this wanted behaviour or is this a bug?

BTW I am using Windows 10 1809 (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.805])

Alvan Z, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Dialog Boxes constantly flash on and off

Hi,

To check Windows 10 Build version you may follow the steps below:

• Win + R. Open up the run command with the Win + R key combo.
    • Launch winver. Simply type in winver into the run command text box and hit OK. That is it. You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.
    Thank you.

Karina Aris, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Win32Guy Win User

RUN dialog

Windows 10 Run Dialog - Autocompleting

From: How to Enable or Disable AutoSuggest and AutoComplete in Explorer Address Bar and Run Dialog?

Addendum: If the value AutoSuggest doesn't already exist, create the new String value (REG_SZ) manually and set its data to no

Win32Guy, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

RUN dialog

1. RUN dialog - Similar Threads - RUN dialog

2. Seeing admin permission dialog/UI run without focus.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeing admin permission dialog/UI run without focus.: Anytime I try to run cmd or PowerShell as Admin I have to manually switch to the process asking for permission.Steps to repro: r-click their pinned icon on taskbar, then click "Run as Administrator" at top.Results: See a new taskbar entry flashing for attention.Expected:...
  3. Seeing admin permission dialog/UI run without focus.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seeing admin permission dialog/UI run without focus.: Anytime I try to run cmd or PowerShell as Admin I have to manually switch to the process asking for permission.Steps to repro: r-click their pinned icon on taskbar, then click "Run as Administrator" at top.Results: See a new taskbar entry flashing for attention.Expected:...
  4. Seeing admin permission dialog/UI run without focus.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows 11 Run Dialog won't launch specific applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Run Dialog won't launch specific applications: So far, I found that I can no longer launch Notepad and Windows Terminal via the run dialog with the command "notepad" and "wt" respectively, which previously worked. Now, it just results in the mouse briefly switching to the "Working in background"-cursor and back. Other...
  6. Windows 11 Run Dialog won't launch specific applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Run Dialog won't launch specific applications: So far, I found that I can no longer launch Notepad and Windows Terminal via the run dialog with the command "notepad" and "wt" respectively, which previously worked. Now, it just results in the mouse briefly switching to the "Working in background"-cursor and back. Other...
  7. Trying to RUN %temp% brings up open with dialog.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to RUN %temp% brings up open with dialog.: I have same issue as in this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temp-in-run-not-working/95fbdc60-397f-4096-9aa0-35c7efa92cf7...
  8. Run dialog box typed history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dialog box typed history: Good evening, just a simple question, I use to have the history of my previous typed "cmd" in the run dialog box Can you tell me how to have back this helpful behaviour? thank you 160164
  9. Hid Administrator user from login prompt - now locked out of account - Run as dialog seems...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hid Administrator user from login prompt - now locked out of account - Run as dialog seems...: [ATTACH] I'm setting up a new Windows 10 PC for somebody that is not too technical. I installed all the software, and then thought I'd give them a normal user account, in case they clicked on a malware link etc. I have the default Administrator user setup - call it "foo"....
  10. Force "Save as" dialog to always run minimized?

in Windows 10 Support
    Force "Save as" dialog to always run minimized?: That's it *Smile Win10 1909 x64, just wondering if there's any way to force the "Save as..." dialog to always load / run in minimized style, ie, in "hide folders" mode, so it takes up the least screen space? It remembers this setting within sessions only, and reverts to...