Windows 10: Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer

Discus and support Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer [img] Information When hypervisor is enabled at boot of computer, only Type 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by WinClub, Jul 17, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer

How to: Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer

Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer [​IMG]
    Information When hypervisor is enabled at boot of computer, only Type 1 Hypervisors like Hyper-V can run virtual machines. To run virtual machines on Type 2 Hypervisors like VirtualBox or VMware, hardware Hypervisor must be turned off.

Microsoft Hyper-V is a Type 1 Hypervisor. When a Type 1 Hypervisor is enabled, Type 2 Hypervisors (VMware Workstation, VirtualBox etc.) virtual machines cannot run. Virtual machines can be created and their settings edited both in Virtual Box and VMware Workstation, but their virtual machines can't be run. When tried, an error message tells that VM cannot be started.

Error message in VirtualBox:

Error message in VMware Workstation

Both VirtualBox and VMware error messages are quite confusing, not clearly telling what the problem is.

The same is true the other way around. When hardware Hypervisor is disabled, VirtualBox and VMware virtual machines can be started, but running a Hyper-V VM shows an error message. Contrary to messages from Virtual Box and VMware it clearly tells the cause:

This is because of the difference between Type 1 (native) Hypervisors and Type 2 (hosted) Hypervisors. Type 1 must be enabled even before operating system is loaded. When enabled, even the physical Windows installation on the host computer runs on hypervisor. Type 2, hosted Hypervisors run on top of the OS. Windows is loaded first, and hypervisor only thereafter.

An image from Wikipedia article Hypervisor shows the difference better than I could ever explain:

Problem is that because Type 1 Hypervisor needs to be enabled or disabled at boot before the OS starts loading, it can't be toggled ON / OFF live when Windows is running. It always requires a restart.

This tutorial will show how to setup your Windows 10 computer to run virtual machines regardless which hypervisor is enabled and virtualization software used.
    [table][tr][td]Method One:[/td] [td]Turn Hypervisor ON or OFF as required[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Method Two:[/td] [td]Create Boot Menu entries to select Hypervisor[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Method One [/i] Turn Hypervisor ON or OFF as required
    1.1) Open an elevated Command Prompt (tutorial), run the following command:

bcdedit

1.2) This shows a list of boot entries on your computer. On the list, find your current OS with identifier {current}, and check if it has hardware Hypervisor turned ON or OFF:

(Click / tap screenshots to enlarge.)
    • hypervisorlaunchtype AUTO, Hypervisor is ON and enabled
    • hypervisorlaunchtype OFF, Hypervisor is OFF and disabled
    1.3) If Hypervisor is ON, you can run Hyper-V virtual machines, but to run virtual machines in VirtualBox or VMware Workstation, you must turn Hypervisor OFF with following command:

bcdedit /set {current} hypervisorlaunchtype off

1.4) Restart the computer. You can now run VirtualBox and VMware Workstation virtual machines, while Hyper-V virtual machines cannot be started. To again run Hyper-V virtual machines, enter the following command and restart computer:

bcdedit /set {current} hypervisorlaunchtype auto

1.5) If your current OS has Hypervisor turned OFF, you can run VirtualBox and VMware Workstation virtual machines. To run Hyper-V virtual machines, run command shown in step 1.4 and restart, and command shown in step 1.3 when you want again run VirtualBox or VMware Workstation virtual machines.

1.6) Important to remember is that to toggle Hypervisor ON or OFF, it always requires a restart.

Method Two [/i] Create Boot Menu entries to select Hypervisor
    2.1) Check if Hypervisor is ON or OFF as told in steps 1.1 & 1.2.

2.2) Copy the current OS boot entry to a new one:
    • If Hypervisor in current OS is ON, use following command (#1 in next screenshot):
      • bcdedit /copy {current} /d "W10 No Hypervisor"
    • If Hypervisor in current OS is OFF use following command:
      • bcdedit /copy {current} /d "W10 With Hypervisor"
    2.3) The new boot entry will be added last to list. Note its identifier (#2 in next screenshot). In my example case now, my current OS has Hypervisor ON. To edit the new boot entry to turn HyperVisor OFF, I enter the following command (#3 in next screenshot):

bcdedit /set {identifier of new entry} hypervisorlaunchtype off

2.4)
    If Hypervisor on your current OS is turned OFF, turn it ON in new boot entry with following command:

bcdedit /set {identifier of new entry} hypervisorlaunchtype auto

2.5) Restart the computer. In this example case now, as my default OS has Hypervisor ON allowing Hyper-V virtual machines to run (#1 in next screenshot), selecting No Hypervisor option (#2) allows me to boot to Windows 10 with hypervisor OFF to run VirtualBox or VMware virtual machines:

If your default OS has Hypervisor OFF, you could select option 2 to run Windows 10 with Hypervisor, allowing you to run Hyper-V virtual machines.
    That's it, geeks. Easy and fast to turn Hypervisor ON or OFF, depending on which virtualization software you want to use to run virtual machines.

Kari+

:)

WinClub, Jul 17, 2018
  2. Kari Win User
  3. VirtualBox or VMware

Hello

I am using Windows 10 Home and Hyper-V isn't available on this version of OS.

Hence I wanted to use Virtualbox or VMware to run virtual machine and as far as I know Hyper-V isn't even required, I own a HP laptop and cannot find Advanced tab in my BIOS setting to enable or disable Virtualization for 64-bit in Virtualbox.

Can I ever run VirtualBox or setup Virtual Machine via these software?

How to get Advance Tab under BIOS for HP laptop ?

Thanks

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows Settings / PC]

SaurabhBhatt1, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

Slightly off topic, nothing to offer to OP, but I thought to mention that I just made a new tutorial about how to run VMware Workstation, VirtualBox and Hyper-V virtual machines on the same computer: Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

Hi there @Kari

always appreciate your work

You really are one of the guys who make this Forum such a great place to be

Cheers
    and have a great weekend.

jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Cannot turn off Hyper V, cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMWare machines

Since the latest update:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Verion: 1607

OS Build: 14393.222

I can no longer turn off Hyper V and thus cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMware machines.

When I attempt to turn off Hyper V and restart Windows as requested, Windows simply re-enables Hyper V.

Then when I try to run a Virtual Box machine, I get an error like this:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Centos 70.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code:

Component:
    ConsoleWrap

Interface:
    IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

When I try to start a VMware machine, I get this:

VMware Player and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Player.

But as I have noted, I am not able to turn off Hyper-V since the Anniversary Update.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph Heaphey, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer - Similar Threads - Run Hyper VirtualBox

2. why can't I run hyper-v inside virtualbox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why can't I run hyper-v inside virtualbox: Hi, recently I created a windows 10 pro virtual machine inside a windows 10 home OS using virtual box. I found that windows 10 pro has built in hypervisor called hyper-v. I have nested visualization turned on in virtual box and my processor also support it. I made a windows...
  3. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine: I know it's been out in beta a while, but the new Version of VMware workstation (15.5.5) is now out which can be installed on a system with Hyper-V active. This is great if you need to do testing with both Hypervisors. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Note that this...
  4. Virtualbox and Hyper-V

Virtualbox and Hyper-V: Allegedly, virtualbox 6 and hyper-v can now coexist i..e you can run VB6 if Hyper-V is enabled - not tried it. 135596
  5. Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install.

Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install.: You cannot run vmware and hyper-v at same time, but you can set up windows to do one or other, selecting which at boot time, From an administrative command prompt make a copy of current boot menu and label it with a suitable label e.g. "No Hyper-V". Note the first command...
  6. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  7. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  8. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice

VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice: HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network. You can get better response by...