Windows 10: Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices

Discus and support Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Some Windows features are reserved to specific editions of the operating system. Home editions are usually the editions with the least features;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 31, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices

Some Windows features are reserved to specific editions of the operating system. Home editions are usually the editions with the least features; features such as Group Policy, Bitlocker device encryption, support for Active Directory or Azure Active Directory, Windows Sandbox, Hyper-V are not supported by Home versions of Windows. Additionally, Home systems are limited when it comes to the maximum amount of RAM (128 Gigabytes).

Another feature that is not supported by default is the Local User and Group Management snap-in lusrmgr.msc. It is used to manage local users and groups on the Windows device; it can be used to enable or disable accounts (including the built-in administrator account), delete or rename users, or manage members of groups on the system.

GitHub user proviq created a program for all editions of Windows to gain access to the functionality. The program works with all versions and editions of windows starting with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008; this includes Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 as well as Server editions. A test on Windows 10 Home confirmed the claim for that particular version.

All it takes is to download the file lusrmgr.exe to the local system and run it. Note that it requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or higher, and that defensive systems such as SmartScreen may display warnings that the program is dangerous. The reason for the latter is that it is not digitally signed.

The program requires elevated privileges (which should be clear). The interface looks a bit different to that of lusrmgr.msc on first glance but there are also similarities.

Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices windows-home-local-users-and-groups-management.png

The local system and its users and groups categories are listed on the left. A click on users or groups opens the list of available user accounts and user groups on the right.

You may connect to remote machines to manage users and groups remotely using the application.

A search is available to find entries quickly; this is useful if the count exceeds a certain number as it may be quicker than scrolling to a particular user or group.

As far as functionality is concerned, it is possible to create and delete users, edit user properties, and to rename users.

Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices edit-user.png

Editing opens a tabbed window to look at and edit certain user profile characteristics. Among the many options are:

• Edit full name and description.
    • Change the account password.
    • Check when the password was changed the last time.
    • Set or unset
      • User cannot change password.
      • Password never expires.
      • User must change password at next logon.
      • Store password using reversible encryption.
      • Password not required.
    • Check the last logon and login failures.
    • Set account expiration date or "account never expires".
    • Set or unset "account is disabled".
    • Set or unset "user has to logon using a smartcard".
    • Set or unset a logon script.
    • Define access times.
    • Set the user's Home folder.
    • Lock or unlock the account.
    • Change group memberships.

For Groups, it is possible to add or remove users from groups. There are also options to create, rename or delete groups.

Closing Words

The program lusrmgr.exe is handy for home system administrators who need to make changes to accounts and don't want to use the command prompt or PowerShell for that.

Now You: do you use lusrmgr.msc? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 31, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Show Local users and Groups

Hello Frank, and welcome to Ten Forums. Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices :)

If you have the Windows 10 Home edition, then it will not have Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) included in it. It's only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions instead.

If you like, you could use step 3 in OPTION THREE of the tutorial below list users in a group.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...a.html#option4

Brink, May 31, 2020
  3. Frank C Win User
    Show Local users and Groups

Hello,
    I want to get a list of Local Users and Groups as shown in the first screen shot (taken from the Web).
    When I run Computer Management as administrator that information is not available under
    Computer Management > System Tools (second screen shot - my computer)
    How can I get this information?

Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices [​IMG]

Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices [​IMG]

Thanks

Frank C, May 31, 2020
  4. Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices

Local User and Group Snapin Not Available

Hello Sumeet,

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key+ R and put
      mmc.exe in Run dialog box, hit
      Enter.

• Click File and select Add/Remove Snap-in.

• From the Available snap-ins section, select
      Local Users & Groups and click Add.

• Finally in the Choose Target Machine window, click
      Finish.

This will add the Local Users & Groups Snap-in to
    Windows functionality and you can use it. You may close the
    Management Console window now and verify the results.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, May 31, 2020
Thema:

Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices

1. Run Local User and Group Management on Windows Home devices - Similar Threads - Run Local User

2. Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.: I tried to remove one built in account from SAM database in Windows Server 2022. After that, the built in account got removed, but in local users and groups mmc, I am not able to see local groups. However, all local groups are present. I am able to see the local users, but...
  3. "Local Users And Groups" in Computer management not visible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Local Users And Groups" in Computer management not visible.: I saw many "Hacked Backdoor Accounts" on YouTube. Just for my curiosity, I followed their instructions. However now I am concerned as the "Computer Managment" app does not show the "Local Users And Groups" option in the list.I also tried netplwiz Advance User Management but...
  4. "Local Users And Groups" in Computer management not visible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Local Users And Groups" in Computer management not visible.: I saw many "Hacked Backdoor Accounts" on YouTube. Just for my curiosity, I followed their instructions. However now I am concerned as the "Computer Managment" app does not show the "Local Users And Groups" option in the list.I also tried netplwiz Advance User Management but...
  5. Local Users & Groups Option not on computer management menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local Users & Groups Option not on computer management menu: Local Users & Groups Option not on computer management menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-users-groups-option-not-on-computer/f23bd7d8-09aa-4ee8-afbc-1cac1a7014b7
  6. Open and Manage Local User and Group Management in Windows 10 Home using Command Prompt or...

in Windows 10 News
    Open and Manage Local User and Group Management in Windows 10 Home using Command Prompt or...: [ATTACH]Windows 10 offers a program — lusrmgr.msc or Local User and Group Management — which allows an administrator to manage local users and groups on […] This article Open and Manage Local User and Group Management in Windows 10 Home using Command Prompt or PowerShell...
  7. How to access Local User and Group Management in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 News
    How to access Local User and Group Management in Windows 10 Home: [ATTACH]Local User and Group Management snap-in or lusrmgr.msc are one of the features of Windows 10, which allows admins to manage local users and groups […] This article How to access Local User and Group Management in Windows 10 Home first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  8. Local Users and Groups

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Users and Groups: I am trying to sort my old laptop for my son to use. I am trying to add a new user so that can be his profile. Local Users and Groups appears to be missing from the settings and I cannot find a way to restore it. Furthermore, the only admin account on the computer is my...
  9. How to manage Local Users and Groups using Windows PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    How to manage Local Users and Groups using Windows PowerShell: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows PowerShell can also be used to manage Local Users and Groups. This affirms to the principle of Windows 10 being a multiuser operating system. There are other GUI based utilities to manage Local Users and Groups. But some System [...] This post How to...
  10. Local Users and Groups on Windows 10 Home Edition

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Users and Groups on Windows 10 Home Edition: I was able to map a user to a group using the 'netplwiz' command function. However, i need to add a user to more than 1 group but dont know how to achieve this Can anyone help LUSRMGR does not work on my version of Windows as i run the Home Edition 43668