Windows 10: Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator

Discus and support Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. So I've been searching online on a way to do this yet I cannot find a way to do it. _______________________________________ I need this in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Nov 24, 2018.

1. pepanee Win User

Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator

Hi. So I've been searching online on a way to do this yet I cannot find a way to do it.

I need this in specific:

I want to double click a PowerShell script file (which will run as an administrator) from Windows Explorer that has this as the script:
    Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $true

(that script requires that PowerShell needs to be run as an administrator)

So those are the restrictions:
    No right-click>run PowerShell as an administrator
    No opening a shortcut to PowerShell (as an administrator) and pasting the command

Thanks

:)

pepanee, Nov 24, 2018
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
      Code:
      Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -force
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Nov 24, 2018
  3. EckiS Win User
    PowerShell script run - Cmdlets

As SQL-IP and Cosmos are still internal to Microsoft, I wonder why you are not simply contacting the person who provided you with the scripts.

For point 1: see PowerShell: Bypass ExecutionPolicy to run downloaded scripts

For point2: this is specific to the script: "Cosmos.Document" is probably in a module which is not found.

EckiS, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator

PowerShell script run - Cmdlets

Greetings - in the last month my role (support for Microsoft) has begun running database searches using PowerShell ISE - the procedure and software I was given by Microsoft to follow specified PowerShell ISE, not PowerShell. The first week or so the searches
    seemed to run fine and I got good results returned. Then the searches stopped successfully executing. I got various error messages, or just illogical results, and so I tried reinstalling PowerShell a couple of times, with no success. On Friday 8/12 I upgraded
    to Win10 Anniversary Ed. I still can't successfully run a PowerShell ISE search request. So, I'm hoping the Forum can help:

1. When I Run a request I get this pop-up: "Run only scripts that you trust. While scripts from the internet can be useful, this script can potentially harm your computer. If you trust this script, use the Unbock-File cmdlet to allow the script to run without
    this warning message. Do you want to run ...". I then get 3 options 1) Do not run, 2) Run Once, 3) Suspend.

My understanding is that the "Unbock-File cmdlet" is a single-feature command that manipulates objects in Windows PowerShell. Where should I insert the "Unbock-File cmdlet" ? I trust the script because it was provided to me by Microsoft.

2. I've been selecting option 2) Run Once. The script will then run for a while, and then I get this error message "[Expression Error] The import Cosmos.Document matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?"

How do resolve this issue? Reinstalling PowerShell has not seemed to help.

Any help much appreciated!

Jacqui Schultz, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator

1. Run PowerShell Script As An Administrator - Similar Threads - Run PowerShell Script

2. Cannot get PowerShell script to run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get PowerShell script to run: Hi,No matter what I try I cannot get permission to run a .ps1 file. I always get this error:& : File C:\Program Files\putty\pagentpass.ps1 cannot be loaded because running scripts is disabled on this system. For more information, see about_Execution_Policies at...
  3. Cannot get PowerShell script to run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot get PowerShell script to run: Hi,No matter what I try I cannot get permission to run a .ps1 file. I always get this error:& : File C:\Program Files\putty\pagentpass.ps1 cannot be loaded because running scripts is disabled on this system. For more information, see about_Execution_Policies at...
  4. Run desktop script in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Run desktop script in PowerShell: I have a script on my desktop that I need to run in PowerShell; how do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-desktop-script-in-powershell/666a7726-8cbd-42c7-ac2c-419229432252
  5. Run desktop script in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run desktop script in PowerShell: I have a script on my desktop that I need to run in PowerShell; how do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-desktop-script-in-powershell/666a7726-8cbd-42c7-ac2c-419229432252
  6. Run desktop script in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PowerShell script

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell script: The code below tests a series of IPs in a txt file.The result is as follows and is written in a txt file. 19.191.12.161 - online 19.191.12.162 - offline 19.191.12.163 - offline 19.191.12.164 - offline 19.191.12.165 - offline also see the scrennshot Code: $Output= @()$GetIP =...
  8. powershell script

in Windows 10 Customization
    powershell script: looking for a script to monitor for a folder, if there is a file in that folder send it as an email, once the email is sent out, confirm and then move the files to an archive folder. monitor c:\test\*.pdf No files, do not send email. Yes Files, send an email to someone at...
  9. Running PowerShell script as a batch file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Running PowerShell script as a batch file: Can I run the Power Shell line: "C:\Windows\System32>get-appxpackage *3dbuilder* | remove-appxpackage" from a .Bat file? ***Original title: Removing bloatware***...
  10. PowerShell Scripting - Run a Script from Shortcut

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    PowerShell Scripting - Run a Script from Shortcut: How to: PowerShell Scripting - Run a Script from Shortcut [img] Information One of many PowerShell security features is that you can't run a script simply by double clicking it's icon on desktop or in a folder. Doing so will by default open script in Notepad for editing...