Windows 10: Run program only by typing it's name (App Paths)

Discus and support Run program only by typing it's name (App Paths) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi folks, I have some questions about the registry value "App Paths". HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ricardobohner, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Run program only by typing it's name (App Paths)

Hi folks,

I have some questions about the registry value "App Paths".

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\

The value is used to specify programas that you can run only by typing the name of the program in the run command (WINDOWS + R).

Basically it looks like you create a subkey with the name of the program+extension, in the default value of the subkey you specify the full path and program name and create value called "Path" where you specify the path to the program without the program name.

What I want to know:

1. If it is possible to create an entry so I can just type the name of a "Folder" in the run command or Address bar and it is opened in File Explorer no matter where the folder is located like it happens with some common Windows folders like Onedrive, Documents, Music etc.

2. Some entries in the "App Paths" key have different entries that are not "Path" and I would be grateful if someone can explain them:

* DropTarget (This one seams permit to specify an folder ID something like {oeuroe-er549850-elreoureo-lkdjf}*
    * CmstpExtensionDll
    * CmNative
    * BlockOnTSNonInstallMode
    * UseURL
    * UseShortName
    This is an example from a Win 8.1 machine but I think Win 10 is pretty much the same:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ccleaner.exe (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\CCleanerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\chrome.exe (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\ApplicationHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\cmmgr32.exe CmstpExtensionDll REG_SZ C:\Windows\System32\cmcfg32.dll CmNative REG_DWORD 0x2HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\dfshim.dll UseURL REG_DWORD 0x1HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\DJCUHost.exe (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Unifying\DJCUHost.exe Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\UnifyingHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\firefox.exe (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla FirefoxHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\fsquirt.exe DropTarget REG_SZ {047ea9a0-93bb-415f-a1c3-d7aeb3dd5087}HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEDIAG.EXE (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEDIAGCMD.EXE Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEDIAGCMD.EXE (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEDIAGCMD.EXE Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEXPLORE.EXE (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\install.exe BlockOnTSNonInstallMode REG_DWORD 0x1HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\LBTWIZ.EXE (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\LBTWiz.exe Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\BluetoothHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\migwiz.exeHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\mip.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Ink\mip.exeHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\mplayer2.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe Path REG_EXPAND_SZ %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media PlayerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\opera.exe (padrão) REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Opera\Launcher.exe" Path REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Opera"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\pbrush.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\System32\mspaint.exe Path REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\System32HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\PowerShell.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exeHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Rec.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Program Files\Techsmith\Camtasia 9\CamRecorder.exe Path REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Program Files\Techsmith\Camtasia 9"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\setup.exe BlockOnTSNonInstallMode REG_DWORD 0x1HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SnagIt32.exe (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Snagit 2018\SnagIt32.exe Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Snagit 2018\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\SnippingTool.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\system32\SnippingTool.exeHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\A pp Paths\SZBrowser.exeHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\table30.exe UseShortName REG_SZ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\TabTip.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %CommonProgramFiles%\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exeHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\thunderbird.exe (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla ThunderbirdHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wab.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail\wab.exe Path REG_EXPAND_SZ %ProgramFiles%\Windows MailHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wabmig.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail\wabmig.exeHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\WinRAR.exe (padrão) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\WinRARHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe Path REG_EXPAND_SZ %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media PlayerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\WORDPAD.EXE (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ "%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\WRITE.EXE (padrão) REG_EXPAND_SZ "%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE"

:)

ricardobohner, Jul 1, 2018
  2. John Sarc Win User

stoping running programs

Hi,

There are certain apps in Windows that aren't possible to be stopped as they're needed by your system. If you want to stop certain apps to be stopped from running in the back ground, follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key, and type in "task manager".
    • Choose Task Manager > More details.
    • Right-click on the apps that you want to stop from running, and click on
      End task

Let us know what happens after following the suggestion.

John Sarc, Jul 1, 2018
  3. Disappearing apps and programs

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Follow these steps to check that.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Date and Time.
    • Select Set Date And Time.
    • Click on Change Date And Time Button to change date and time.
    • Click on Change Time Zone button to change Time Zone.
    Method 2: I would suggest you to run App troubleshooter.

• Type ‘Troubleshooting’ in the search next to start.
    • Click on ‘View All’ on left side and select Windows store Apps’.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions.
    Method 3: I would suggest you to reset Windows store.

• Right click on start and select ‘RUN’.
    • In the Run window, type WSReset.exe and click “Ok”.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Run program only by typing it's name (App Paths)

Programs(apps) that are dimmed in apps list.

These procedures can be used to fix issues with These win 10 apps. Mail, Calendar, Cortana, Start menu, and Settings. It probably will work for others but I have only tested it with these.

Solution 1: Re-register this App:
    • Run Windows PowerShell as Administrator.
    • Type Get-AppxPackage, press Enter.
    • From the output list, find the Mail App and remember the InstallLocation.
    • Type this command: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6120.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml"}
    • It would run as below:

Solution 2: If re-register App cannot resolve your issue, Please reinstall the App.

Step 1: Uninstall it completely
    • Run Windows PowerShell as Administrator.
    • Type Get-AppxPackage, press Enter.
    • From the output list, find Mail App package and remember its PackageFullName as below:
    • And then type the following command: Remove-Appxpackage –Package microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6120.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Note: After running this command in Windows 10, the Mail icon still appear in the App list and Start menu. However, you cannot click to launch it. Just ignore and continue next step.

Step 2: Reinstall the App from Windows Store

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

Run program only by typing it's name (App Paths)

1. Run program only by typing it's name (App Paths) - Similar Threads - Run program typing

2. Disk name in path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk name in path: HelloI would like to add disk letter into path for my collegue.For example path to folder "test" saved on my computer is:C:\Desktop\TestHowever my collegue have it as:\\lcp1022\desktop\test**not exactly like that, just an exampleIs there any way to change it?...
  3. Disk name in path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk name in path: HelloI would like to add disk letter into path for my collegue.For example path to folder "test" saved on my computer is:C:\Desktop\TestHowever my collegue have it as:\\lcp1022\desktop\test**not exactly like that, just an exampleIs there any way to change it?...
  4. Disk name in path

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. no run only programs and only English -

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no run only programs and only English -: no run only programs and only English -Hi What can Microsoft do to protect our data and have it so that only programs that are allowed to run are in English and that we can stop random programs and apps from running that are not installed ? 365 and azure have not been...
  6. no run only programs and only English -

no run only programs and only English -: no run only programs and only English -Hi What can Microsoft do to protect our data and have it so that only programs that are allowed to run are in English and that we can stop random programs and apps from running that are not installed ? 365 and azure have not been...
  7. Program will open but only run in background

Program will open but only run in background: I was trying to help someone with this issue on their computer. The app was working fine until he tried installing a new program, which required him to restart his computer. Once he restarted his computer the app would not open in the foreground. When we try opening the...
  8. a program named eewvfcc.exe running enormously.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    a program named eewvfcc.exe running enormously.: Hey, I install Windows 10 pro on my notebook for the first time. whenever I turn on my computer many of applications starts with windows. over there a program located in C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming and named ''eewvfcc'' also perform with other start-up applicationslike...
  9. What are the names of these Window APPS/PROGRAM ? only have ICON pic

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are the names of these Window APPS/PROGRAM ? only have ICON pic: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ahms_shaf1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ieb62r/what_are_the_names_of_these_window_appsprogram/
  10. "There's a problem with *app name and path*. Repair and reinstall

"There's a problem with *app name and path*. Repair and reinstall: Hey guys, I get this error everytime I attempt to open a Windows App. "There's a problem with *app name and path*. Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it." This happens for all Windows apps, including the store. I've attached a pic. Thanks!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. blockontsnoninstallmode