Windows 10: Run SFC Command in Windows 10

Discus and support Run SFC Command in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; It's actually fine to not worry about it unless you are having issues with PowerShell. If you are, then doing a repair install should sort it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by gregrocker, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Run SFC Command in Windows 10

It's actually fine to not worry about it unless you are having issues with PowerShell.

If you are, then doing a repair install should sort it without losing anything.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Brink, Aug 25, 2015
  2. Leonchroi Win User

Yes windows seems to be functioning just fine.I think I will just leave it be for now until I actually run into some trouble then I will do a refresh. I usually refresh any os I have had at least twice a year anyway. Thanks for shedding some light on it for me.I can't thank you enough for your time, you're a true gentlemen.

Leonchroi, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Aug 25, 2015
  4. xing he Win User

hey i also have the smme problem and i did option 5 and heres the file by the look of it theres around five corruptions plz reply help?!sfcdetails.txt

xing he, Sep 9, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello xing he, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It looks like you have a bunch of shortcuts with has mismatches. If you haven't already, see if dong what's in the note box at the bottom of OPTION THREE may allow SFC to repair them afterwards.

Brink, Sep 9, 2015
  6. xing he Win User
    umm the Dism or the reset and if its the reset will it delete anything

xing he, Sep 10, 2015
  7. Daz1967 Win User
    I have been using Windows 10 Pro since the RTM was released mid-July and apart from one system freeze (during a forced graphics driver update of all things!), it has been otherwise 100% stable and functional. I've encountered a few annoying bugs but those are to be expected in any new operating system. My PC is a games machine and everything works great. That is the main thing.

One minor issue I have encountered though is that when I run sfc /scannow in an elevated PowerShell window it will always find corrupted files that it cannot fix. An examination of the log file reveals that the unfixable files are actually shortcuts to things like Task Scheduler, etc, which all oddly work and do not report errors.

This is my SFC log file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SFCDetails.txt

Unfortunately, running DISM does not work either as it returns error 0x800F081F after reaching 100% with a message about the source files not being found. If I try to link to the install.esd on my USB memory stick using the /source flag then it still returns the same error. DISM /scanhealth reports that the component store is repairable however.

Although this issue has not adversely affected Windows 10 in any way I have noticed, the obsessive compulsive in me (the one that cannot abide seeing error messages), finally decided that he would do an upgrade install of Windows from within Windows. This went well, in fact, I only had to upgrade my graphics driver post-install as everything else was exactly as it was before the upgrade. I ran sfc /scannow at this point and it found errors but fixed them this time! I also ran DISM /restorehealth and it passed 100% complete, no errors.

I then proceeded to check for Windows Updates because the upgrade meant they had to be redownloaded. Sadly, post Windows Update and restart sfc /scannow is back to reporting unfixable corruption and DISM returns the 0x800F081F error! Arggghhhhhhh!

After much reading around, I have come to the conclusion that Windows 10 Pro build 10240 must have a bug of some kind that prevents SFC and DISM from working properly...at least on my system anyway. If I had to take a guess then I would say that is because the component store is not being updated with the newer files from the Windows Update downloads but the database is so when it checks for corruption there is a mismatch on the file versions, something like that (I admit I am not expert). And the /source flag does not work with DISM because the image I have on my USB memory stick is of the original 10240 build not the updated version I am running post-Windows Update.

I am curious though to know if anyone running Windows 10 from an upgrade has NO errors when running sfc /scannow or DISM. Many people will not be aware of this issue because they would have no reason to run either unless they have a problem. I have read that doing a clean install fixes the issue but that is not an option for me due to the sheer number of programs, apps and games that I have installed.

Daz1967, Sep 10, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Well not completely sure exactly what you mean, but I think I do, so here goes. I upgraded my OS from windows 7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro, have never done a fresh install. same reason as you too many registered programs to re-install. I have run both sfc scannow and Dism command: dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth both ran fine, sfc found no errors, but everytime I've ran it in the past it always leaves files in my pending renames folder, that can be very hard to remove. Dism command runs fine also, telling me it has run successfully when its finished. So hoped this has helped you a little. My machine is NOT a gamming machine, far from it. Just an HP computer built in 2009 with a SSD primary partition.

OldMike65, Sep 10, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You would start at the top of the list in the blue note box to see if SFC may be able to repair the files afterwards.

Reset and refresh would be a last resort since a reset is like a clean install, and a refresh would remove all installed apps.

If you are not having any issues from them, then it wouldn't be worth doing a refresh or reset.

Brink, Sep 10, 2015
  10. In response to Daz1967,

I had exactly the same problem you had except that after upgrading win 10 within Windows 10 and ran the updates post upgrade, the infamous error 0x800f081f didn't come back in my case. For good measure, I ran sfc /scannow again just before this writing and everything is fine (no integrity violations). Now, my suggestions to you is to download a new media creation tool from Microsoft's site and burned the .iso file with Windows own integrated burning tool while you are still in the Media creation Tool window at the end of your download (Burn image now). Don't use a third-party image burning app.

After creating your .iso image on a DVD, try to run the upgrade again within Windows 10 , but make sure you have created a good system image backup before anything. I hope that will resolve your issue.

IronZorg89, Sep 10, 2015
  11. Slugger Win User
    If you cant open your start menu and search doesn't work and you need to run elevated powershell go to
    C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Change YOUR_NAME to your user account. Now right click on Windows PowerShell to Run as administrator.

Same thing for elevated cmd

C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

Right click on Command Prompt to Run as administrator.

Your will notice other windows files to run from there.

Slugger, Oct 9, 2015
  12. balubeto Win User
    Using the first method, how do I check if the system is whole because the SFC command does not create any CBS.log file?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Oct 28, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Balubeto, *Smile

The only way to do so using OPTION ONE is by whatever it may tell you in the command prompt at that time.

Brink, Oct 28, 2015
  14. balubeto Win User
    I want to know if the partition is normally used to boot Windows 8.x/10.x or if it is used only by the SFC utility using the first method?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Oct 28, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You'll need to post a screenshot showing the full layout of your Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to determine that.

The Recovery Partition is usually used just for WinRE, but you don't want to delete it.

Brink, Oct 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Run SFC Command in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Run SFC Command

2. Sfc/ scannow command

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sfc/ scannow command: After how many days the sfc / scannow command should be given? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow-command/f79dacdc-d025-4a65-b558-fac623daa355
  3. Sfc/ scannow command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sfc/ scannow command: After how many days the sfc / scannow command should be given? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow-command/f79dacdc-d025-4a65-b558-fac623daa355
  4. Encountering errors while running sfc /scannow command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encountering errors while running sfc /scannow command: Hello,When I run sfc /scannow command, it showing me that 'sfc scannow finds some corrupted files but unable to fix them'. When I checked CBS logs, I found these error messages-1. DEPLOY [Pnp] Failed repairing file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\vmbusr.sys:...
  5. Encountering errors while running sfc /scannow command

Encountering errors while running sfc /scannow command: Hello,When I run sfc /scannow command, it showing me that 'sfc scannow finds some corrupted files but unable to fix them'. When I checked CBS logs, I found these error messages-1. DEPLOY [Pnp] Failed repairing file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\vmbusr.sys:...
  6. sfc command not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc command not working: hello guys , i just tried to run sfc/scannow in cmd in Administrator and its not working and its say : 'sfc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.i don't know what i am did wrong , and i want just ask how can i know if i have...
  7. sfc command not working

sfc command not working: hello guys , i just tried to run sfc/scannow in cmd in Administrator and its not working and its say : 'sfc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.i don't know what i am did wrong , and i want just ask how can i know if i have...
  8. sfc command not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Possible to run SFC command from bootable media?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible to run SFC command from bootable media?: I can never get this to work but I'm not sure if it's even possible from the recovery environment or attached as an external drive to a working machine. I use my Windows 10 21H2 bootable USB to load the device into a recovery environment. Then I go into Diskpart and assign a...
  10. Running the SFC and DISM commands

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running the SFC and DISM commands: The picture below shows how I run the sfc & dism cmds --- sfc should be run before & after the dism cmd --- [IMG] It works for me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/running-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/3d325608-c97d-401a-8cbf-9d0a7f499bcb