Windows 10: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 How to Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 comes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mojo53, Apr 18, 2017.

1. mojo53 Win User

Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

How to: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

How to Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows 10 comes with Windows PowerShell 5.0 included.

Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language designed especially for system administration. Built on the .NET Framework, Windows PowerShell helps IT professionals and power users control and automate the administration of the Windows operating system and applications that run on Windows.

For more details about Windows PowerShell, see:

This tutorial will show you different ways to open an elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to open an elevated Windows PowerShell.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell from All apps in Start Menu
    • Option Two: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Search
    • Option Three: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell from Task Manager
    • Option Four: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell from Win+X Menu
    • Option Five: To "Open Elevated Windows PowerShell Here" in File Explorer
    • Option Six: Open Elevated Windows PowerShell from File Explorer

EXAMPLE: Elevated Windows PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Elevated Windows PowerShell from All apps in Start Menu
    1. Open All apps in the Start menu.

2. Scroll down and expand open the Windows PowerShell folder, right click or press and hold on Windows PowerShell, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Run as administrator. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Search
    1. Press the Win+S keys to open Search.

2. Type powershell in the search box, right click or press and hold on Windows PowerShell in the search results at the top, and click/tap on Run as administrator. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Open Elevated Windows PowerShell from Task Manager
    1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

2. Click/tap on File (menu bar), and click/tap on Run new task. (see screenshot below)

3. Type powershell, check the Create this task with administrative privileges box, and click/tap on OK in the search results at the top. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Open Elevated Windows PowerShell from Win+X Menu
    1. If you have the Win+X menu set to show Windows PowerShell instead of Command Prompt, then press the Win+X keys to open the Win+X menu.

2. Click/tap on Windows PowerShell (Admin). (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To "Open Elevated Windows PowerShell Here" in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer, select or open a folder or drive that you want to open Windows PowerShell at that location. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the File tab on the ribbon, click/tap on Open Windows PowerShell to expand, and click/tap on Open Windows PowerShell as administrator. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] Open Elevated Windows PowerShell from File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer, and browse to the folder location below.
    *Arrow C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0
    2. Select the powershell.exe file, click/tap on the File tab on the ribbon, and click/tap on Run as administrator. (see screenshot below)

OR

3. Right click or press and hold on the powershell.exe file, and click/tap on the Run as administrator.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

mojo53, Apr 18, 2017

2. Windows Media Player on Windows 10 Home

Could you try the following with an elevated Powershell:

Restore Windows Media Player in Windows 10 using PowerShell
    • Open
      an elevated PowerShell
    • To restore Windows Media Player, use the following command:
    To remove Windows Media Player, use the following command:

https://winaero.com/blog/restore-windows-media-player-windows-10/

pestell159, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Calfe Win User
    Windows 10 issue "Subst" command doesn't work

Hmmm .. Strange behavior .. It appears the Privileges that Explorer.Exe runs in have change in Windows 10 ..
    In Windows 7 and presumably 8 Explorer.Exe runs with BuiltIN\admin and Local Group Admin Privileges
    .. In Windows 10 these are explicitly Denied ..

The behavior I see is: Drives that are created from a Non-Elevated Powershell command, are visible and accessible from the Windows 10 GUI
    .. Drives created in an Elevated Powershell are not Visible in the Windows 10 GUI ..

Strange part: .. Within PowerShell it does not matter .. The Subst Drives are available regardless of the Elevation
    in which they are created .. Create a Drive from an Elevated
    Powershell and it is available to a non elevated Powershell ..

I wonder if it is possible to change the privileges the Explorer.Exe runs with without wrecking the Windows 10 GUI ??

Calfe, Apr 18, 2017
  4. Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

Thank you Shawn for the great tute, as usual. However I have 2 problems on my Win 10 PRO 1703
    1) Option 6 (File Explorer) is unavailable as the "Open Windows Powershell" option is greyed out:

2) Option 4 is unavailable as I previously used a tweak or setting which replaced Powershell with Command Prompt and I cannot find the tweak or setting to change it back.*Redface

Any advice is welcome.

EDIT: For problem 2 I just found this *Smile: Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

EarthBoundMisfit, Sep 21, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Joe, *Smile

Q1) It looks like you may not have a folder or drive selected in the "This PC" window for the "Open Windows PowerShell" option to be available.

Q2) Yep, that's the one.

Brink, Sep 21, 2017
  6. As Homer Simpson would say.... D'OH!!! Thanks again Shawn for this and other fantabulous sites, tutorials, etc. You the Man!

EarthBoundMisfit, Sep 21, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Joe. *Smile

Brink, Sep 21, 2017
  8. Neemobeer Win User

Neemobeer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Open Elevated Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Elevated PowerShell

2. Unable to open windows powershell in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open windows powershell in windows 10: HelloMy powershell is not opening. When I click on powershell icon, nothing happens. When I right click and choose run as admin an error pops up telling "The item you selected is unavailable. It may be moved, renamed or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list ?". How...
  3. Unable to open windows powershell in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open windows powershell in windows 10: HelloMy powershell is not opening. When I click on powershell icon, nothing happens. When I right click and choose run as admin an error pops up telling "The item you selected is unavailable. It may be moved, renamed or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list ?". How...
  4. Unable to open windows powershell in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PowerShell opens at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    PowerShell opens at Startup in Windows 10: PowerShell is not an application that we wish to open at Startup. There are instances that users reporting that Powershell is opening at startup on Windows 10. In this guide, we have solutions to fix that issue. Generally, we use Windows PowerShell to configure, manage and...
  6. Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal: I'm running Windows Terminal v.1.6.10571.0 and love having my Ubuntu, CMD and Powershell sessions all in WT. However, a few things I need to regularly do require me to elevate powershell. When I do this with 'Start-Process Powershell -Verb RunAs' it launches the elevated PS...
  7. Removing Domain Users' Windows Packaged Apps using elevated Powershell

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Removing Domain Users' Windows Packaged Apps using elevated Powershell: Dear Community, I have not found a good way to remove most of my Domain Users' Windows Packaged Apps. A. I cannot use AppLocker from GPO, because my users are using Windows 10 Pro. I believe AppLocker only applies for Windows 10 Enterprise and Education. B. I cannot...
  8. non elevated powershell?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    non elevated powershell?: Hi, I read that I can uninstall apps via the powershell elevated, and I indeed did this. But what surprised me was that even a non-elevated powershell prompt allowed me to uninstall a number of apps as well. Would this mean that I can even reinstall apps via a...
  9. Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on...
  10. Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10: How to: Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 How to Open Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 comes with Windows PowerShell 5.0 included. Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language designed especially for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Restore Windows Media Player in Windows 10 using PowerShell