Windows 10: Run Windows Recovery before selling PC

Discus and support Run Windows Recovery before selling PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The laptop had windows 7 when I purchased it. I upgraded for free to Windows 10. Question: If I run "Recovery" -> "Remove everything" will I end up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HPF, Oct 8, 2017.

1. HPF
    HPF Win User

Run Windows Recovery before selling PC

The laptop had windows 7 when I purchased it. I upgraded for free to Windows 10.

Question: If I run "Recovery" -> "Remove everything" will I end up with Windows 7 or Windows 10?

:)

2. Restore factory settings on Win 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

As you are planning to sell this computer, you may “Reset your PC” and choose the option “Remove everything”. This reinstalls Windows 10 and any apps that came with your PC.

Recovery options in Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Note: If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. Ensure to back up your data before you start this process. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to
    recover files you've removed.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 8, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @HPF

I presume you mean the 'Reset this PC' option in Settings > Update & recovery > Recovery.

This will reinstall Windows 10 using the system files already on your PC as the source. The option to 'remove everything' removes all personal files and installed apps. This includes any OEM utilities. Only OEM utilities that came with a pre-installed Win10 would be reinstalled, so you'll loose any that came with its original Win7. You may be able to download them from the manufacture's site if you want to reinstall any of them.

More details in this tutorial:

Reset Windows 10

Bree, Oct 8, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    As part of "reset my pc", there are are two options - one to remove everything as you say, and one to remove everything and securely wipe drive for selling pc i.e. all data is nuked so it cannot be recovered by recuva etc. The latter option takes longer but is more secure.

cereberus, Oct 9, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you sure the secure erase of the hard drive is part of reset this PC options? Reset this PC from inside Windows uses files from the Windows folder itself to reset Windows, so if the drive was securely erased, how could it reset Windows from files that were on the drive that was supposedly securely erased? I've always known securely erasing a drive to be a two step process - you boot into the program that does the secure erase of the drive, and then you do a clean install of Windows from an external media source that contains the installation files.

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Sure it is there - I guess it is clever enough to wipe anything that is not part of base OS.

I tested wipe option once and recuva found nothing.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Run Windows Recovery before selling PC - Similar Threads - Run Recovery before

2. Selling Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Selling Windows 10 PC: I am selling my Windows 10 PC. I will re-install WIN 10 for the new owner, but during the reinstall process, when do I stop before having to register any ownership details?...
  3. Selling Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Selling Windows 10 PC: I am selling my Windows 10 PC. I will re-install WIN 10 for the new owner, but during the reinstall process, when do I stop before having to register any ownership details?...
  4. Selling Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reinstalling windows 10 before selling PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling windows 10 before selling PC: Hi there, My device came with windows 10 home. I upgrade it from home to pro via the Microsoft Store, so now my activation page says activated with a digital license linked to MS account. My question is if i decide to sell this PC can i get the original Home edition back...
  6. Sell flash drive with Windows 10 Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sell flash drive with Windows 10 Recovery: I good day Microsoft Community, I just wanted to confirm the legality of selling flash drives with bootable Windows 10 recovery installed. This has nothing to do with licensing since this recovery flash drive, is used for reinstallation. As we all know, the digital...
  7. steps before selling my old laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    steps before selling my old laptop: What steps should I take to delete my Microsoft account from the PC before selling? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steps-before-selling-my-old-laptop/e47db7ed-9556-4991-994d-59d51c675862
  8. How to wipe laptop before selling if I don't want to use USB or recovery?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to wipe laptop before selling if I don't want to use USB or recovery?: I have windows 10, but never did a recovery set up. And Im using my USB for files I need so unless I can just put windows iso on it and not remove those files Id rather not format. Whats the best way to reset windows for me? submitted by /u/DonDXP [link] [comments]...
  9. Using windows recovery and selling PC question

Using windows recovery and selling PC question: Hi, I'm selling my PC and wanted to reinstall windows, I used the windows 10 recovery option to reinstall it. I was hoping that it would reinstall with an unactivated version of windows, but it reinstalled and used my license. Can I just sell the PC as is or is the...
  10. Selling PC with Windows license

Selling PC with Windows license: I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want to sell a PC to my brother and I want the Windows license to go with it. I have all the parts for a replacement PC that I will build in a few days and for that I will buy a new Windows license. I guess the questions I have are:...