Windows 10: runas command won't recognize administrator password

Discus and support runas command won't recognize administrator password in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried the runas command to configure some software I just updated, as the directions said, but my administrator password was rejected. Then I tested... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Borad, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Borad Win User

runas command won't recognize administrator password

I tried the runas command to configure some software I just updated, as the directions said, but my administrator password was rejected. Then I tested the runas command on a pdf file that I know for sure is in the current directory (it can open from the command line), but my administrator password is still rejected.

Settings > Accounts says:

Seka
    Local Account
    Administrator

And I'm able to confirm my current password and change it (I change it to the same password). But here's the problem:
    C:\Users\Seka\Desktop>runas /u:administrator Lightworks_v12.5.0_User_Guide.pdf
    Enter the password for administrator:
    Attempting to start Lightworks_v12.5.0_User_Guide.pdf as user "SEKA-PC\administrator" ...
    RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - Lightworks_v12.5.0_User_Guide.pdf
    1326: The user name or password is incorrect.
    C:\Users\Seka\Desktop>

Any tips? Ways to confirm my password works or that I'm the administrator or anything? It's too late for me to go back to Windows 7.

EDIT: I was surprised with a log on screen when I turned my computer on this morning. I had to enter my password. It worked though.

:)

Borad, Jun 16, 2016

2. force refresh (sync) of Microsoft account password cache using Remote desktop after the password is changed from somewhere else

I never understand why the Microsoft Support Engineers even bother to reply to these questions. I have never seen them come up with a useful answer to a technical question. But after thinking about it for at least 5 minutes, I came up with a work-around

Om my remote machine I have two accounts: I have a local administrator account and I have the MicrosoftAccount as a standard user.

To re-sync the password: logon with the local administrator account, I open the command prompt and type:

runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\[my account] cmd.exe

or

runas /u:[my account]@outlook.com cmd.exe

replacing [my account] with the actual account name of the Microsoft Account

This will force the machine to resync the password so when you get prompted you can type the most recent password. As from that point on, RDP will recognize your new password.

I also tried the above commands while being logged on as the standard user. It looks like you can do the "runas" command for the current user, so you might not even need to use another account.

Hopefully above procedure contains enough clues so that someone can figure out what is happening and come up with a real solution

BartJolling, Jun 16, 2016
  3. Can't find file "C:/WINDOWS/system32/taskmgr.exe",but taskmgr.exe is overthere...

>> I can't start any .exe as administrator,once I do that,the program won't start and this annoying error messagebox appeared again...

Open Control Panel, User Accounts and create a standard/limited user account (to test). After creating the user account, open Command Prompt and type:

runas /noprofile /user:newusername c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe

Replace newusername with the actual standard user name you created. It prompts for password.. Type it.

(If Task Manager starts fine when run under standard user account credentials, but not in an administrator account, next place we need to check is the registry.)

Edit: Assign a password for the newly created account, otherwise runas might throw an error.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jun 16, 2016
Thema:

runas command won't recognize administrator password

1. runas command won't recognize administrator password - Similar Threads - runas command won't

2. Won't recognize password on reboot

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Won't recognize password on reboot: When restarting windows 10 on desktop it starts the Preparing Automatic Repair window. Then it goes to a sign in screen to select account. It will not accept the password, even when I have changed it on a different computer....
  3. Won't recognize password on reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Won't recognize password on reboot: When restarting windows 10 on desktop it starts the Preparing Automatic Repair window. Then it goes to a sign in screen to select account. It will not accept the password, even when I have changed it on a different computer....
  4. Won't recognize password on reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows won't recognize me as Administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't recognize me as Administrator: Hello,I have checked in my profile settings that I am indeed an Administrator on my PC, as well as I even made a new Administrator account, but I get an error that states "you don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the Administrator to obtain Permission....
  6. It won't recognize me as an administrator

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It won't recognize me as an administrator: So I just tried to uninstall the CS-GO and it says " You do not have sufficient acess to uninstall Counter Strike 1.6. Please contact your system administrator." Then I realized I have two accounts now , PC1 and the one I have now is Administrator. ( Both of them are...
  7. Unable to find "runas" and other commands!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to find "runas" and other commands!: Windows 10 - I think my system variable path is messed up! because I'm not able to run any commands such as powershell or runas from the command prompt after booting to a bootable disk and going to command prompt for troubleshooting. Error - Runas or Powershell is not...
  8. Won't recognize password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Won't recognize password: Each and every time I try to sign in to my Microsoft account, it says that I have the wrong password. So....I go through the process of getting a code and changing my password. Then when I try to sign in with the new password, it says that it is the wrong password....
  9. Runas as administrator without plain password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Runas as administrator without plain password: Hello Everyone, I would like to run "psexec.exe" or "runas.exe" without entering password in command line. Meaning is to call password via text file or redirect the password like what psexec -u .\administrator calc.exe -accepteula -nobanner < password.txt...
  10. Sending password from a script for runAs command

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sending password from a script for runAs command: Hello, Currently working on a code to stop and start a windows services with administrator credentials from a java programming language. Was researching on runAs command but couldn't pass send password either through piping the command or by reading the password through a...