Windows 10: Runaway memory usage

Discus and support Runaway memory usage in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Dell desktop just started acting wonky. The fan speeds up and slows down frequently. I thought that might be caused by overgrown dust on the CPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Runaway memory usage

My Dell desktop just started acting wonky. The fan speeds up and slows down frequently. I thought that might be caused by overgrown dust on the CPU heat sink. But no. It's quite clean.

I looked at task manager (I prefer the old Win 7 version) and it shows runaway memory usage, seen here:
    Runaway memory usage [​IMG]

There's 16 GB RAM installed. At startup the usage shows around 3 or 4 GB. But usage creeps up and up and up over 15 minutes or so. When it finally gets to around 15.5 GB the system freezes. No kb, no mouse. Hard restart required.

AVG regular scan found the Nir Tools "Browser Password" viewer. Quarantined. (But that's not been running and is surely not the problem.)

The AVG boot-time scan took a long time ... and found nothing.

I switched to my wife's login. Same result: memory usage keeps going up.

CPU usage is also nasty:

I'm not doing anything on this box right now except using Chrome to view Ten Forums.

The process list shows this, sorted by memory usage:

I'm not accustomed to seeing "Memory Compression" in there. I wonder about that.
    Sorting by CPU usage ... 72% idle, 13% AVGSvc, 13% explorer.
    I don't know why explorer is using so much. It's usually mostly doing nothing.

What's to be done? I can use the computer for maybe 20 minutes before it hangs. And in the time I wrote this post the usage rose from 9.4 GB to 12.4 GB. So I have to shut down soon.

What must I do?

Edit: I run Macrium backup every weekend, saved to an external 8 TB drive. Last full save was about a week ago, with daily small backups (incremental or differential? can't remember).

On boot I get a choice of Windows 10 or Macrium recovery. I presume the latter can be used to recover. But I've never used it and I don't know how to.

I'd prefer to fix things as is. But if a Macrium recover is necessary I'll do that, with your kind assistance.

:)

margrave55, Sep 27, 2020
  2. B_Curk Win User

SPOCJS memory leak / runaway process on Surface Pro 2

Me Too... runaway SPOCJS with max CPU and Memory usage and heat and fan running. I discovered that changing my Cover made it runaway. I have the Type Cover, Power Cover and Touch Cover. I also found repeated rebooting, and sometimes full shutdowns and
    restart seemed to clear the problem, as long as I didn't swap Covers while running, or in standby, or hibernation. It seems fine with a different cover from startup from a full shutdown position. I haven't been having problems since going with a full shutdown
    to change the Cover.

B_Curk, Sep 27, 2020
  3. 100% Memory usage

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You might be facing this issue due to several reasons like low virtual memory, third party software conflicts, virus threat on the computer etc.

Even though no programs or applications are running, some background services can show memory usage and disk usage. In order to check which particular program is using the memory, I would suggest you to check the Task manager.

Refer to these steps:

1. Press Windows key + X, select
    task manager.

2. Click on the ‘Processes’ tab and it will show you show you a list of programs and services running and their corresponding memory usage and disk usage.

3. Check if any of the item listed is consuming more memory or disk usage than normal.

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if this helps.

You need to increase the virtual memory by making it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size and make sure you have the same amount of free space in your hard drive
    in each drive.

To do this, follow the steps:

1. Go to Control Panel (Press Windows key + X)> All control panel items > System

2. Click on Advanced system settings.

3. Under Performance, click on settings

4. Go to Advanced tab

5. Under Virtual memory, click on Change

6. Un-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box

7. Select your windows drive (where OS is installed)

8. Click on Custom size radio button

9. Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB

10. Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB

11. Click on Set

12. Click on OK thrice

13. Restart your system

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Jose Est Win User

Runaway memory usage

100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Runaway memory usage

1. Runaway memory usage - Similar Threads - Runaway memory usage

2. Memory usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Memory usage: I don't know Why my Memory use of antivirus service are so high https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/memory-usage/e86a6d14-787e-450a-b90a-0261aebcdff9
  3. memory usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    memory usage: hi all:My laptop has 16GB of ram installed. Checking the memory information via the task manager, it states that 5.9GB is in use and 9.6GB available. Is 5.9GB in use normal or can I lower the usage of the GB of ram?...
  4. Runaway ++++ signs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Runaway ++++ signs: A couple of months ago I bought a new HP desktop. I thought everything would be good with my new one as my 4 year old HP desktop was beginning to develop a few glitches.The major one was that after I had been logged in for awhile, I would suddenly get +++++ plus signs which...
  5. Runaway Icons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runaway Icons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: Come on, MS, this has been going on for quite awhile. Can you not find a solution? Icons suddenly decide to scramble on desktop. I have tried "Desktop Restore", but that rarely works. Take time out of my day to move icons one at a time. AAAAARRRRRREGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  6. runaway cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    runaway cursor: i can't seem stop my screen from scrolling down when i move my cursor. i am running windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runaway-cursor/49901348-ffac-4c62-83ac-6b848d3f9a61
  7. RUNAWAY CURSOR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RUNAWAY CURSOR: I have Windows 10 version 1909. From even before MS tech centre in India updated the version to 1909, I have had a runaway cursor problem, for one year. Tackled by HP's higher level tech support and then by the higher level, L-2, of the MS tech centre in India. Operating...
  8. Memory Usage

Memory Usage: Hiya, My name is Angelo, Hi. My issues is the total amount of RAM that is being sucked-up as in used by the O/S even without me doing anything. The first thing I notice is that the antimalware app is killing my RAM, then WMI, System Interrupts, all the usual, then...
  9. Memory Usage

Memory Usage: My computer is in idle state still 80 to 90% of the memory is being used. Due to this I am unable to do anything on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-usage/5db7c4ad-57c7-4f61-b9df-f84b267ecd88
  10. Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Memory Usage: Hi, I bought a new laptop two days ago. It is a DELL Inspiron 13 5000 13.3 inch 2 in 1 convertible touchscreen laptop. The CPU is an i3-7100U and it has 4 GB RAM with a 1TB HDD. I noticed it can lag a bit when I open anything. Nothing has been downloaded onto the Laptop, I...