Windows 10: Running 8.1Pro RTM, will I get the win10 upgrade?

Discus and support Running 8.1Pro RTM, will I get the win10 upgrade? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Right now I'm running an activated win8.1 pro RTM version of windows. Since I'm running RTM will I be able to upgrade to win10 for free? Thanks *Smile... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by snickerzz, Jun 4, 2015.

1. snickerzz Win User

Running 8.1Pro RTM, will I get the win10 upgrade?

Right now I'm running an activated win8.1 pro RTM version of windows. Since I'm running RTM will I be able to upgrade to win10 for free? Thanks *Smile

:)

snickerzz, Jun 4, 2015

2. Upgrade from Win10 Insider Preview to Win10 RTM (Machine was Win8.1)

A few months ago, I bought a brand new laptop with Windows 8.1 preinstalled.

This would have qualified for a free upgrade to Win10 RTM.

I installed Win10 Insider Preview and have been running that for quite a while.

I would now like to do the real upgrade to Win10 RTM.

How can I do that?

Greg_Cannon, Jun 4, 2015
  3. pese Win User
    System Firmware Update - ‎23/‎07/‎2015 - Error 0x80246013

I get the following error on an Surface 3 running Win10 RTM

System Firmware Update - ‎23/‎07/‎2015 - Error 0x80246013

Same error as with previous firmware update.

Is there any fix?

pese, Jun 4, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 4, 2015
  5. snickerzz Win User
    snickerzz, Jun 4, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're welcome.

RTM lets you install and activate on any PC as long as it's not on more than one PC at the same time.

OEM is permanently tied to the motherboard, so you'll only be able to install and activate on the same PC and not any other PC.

Brink, Jun 4, 2015
  7. snickerzz Win User
    So RTM is the same as Retail? Why the name difference?

snickerzz, Jun 4, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

RTM stands for Release to Manufacturing.

Retail vs OEM vs RTM difference is in the licensing.

Retail is just a boxed RTM, but has a full retail license that can be installed on any PC.

OEM is a RTM, but with the manufacturer's software and drivers included. It's permanently tied to the motherboard.

However, RTM is often loosely associated as retail. The devil is in the details.

Brink, Jun 4, 2015
  9. snickerzz Win User
    Ah alright, thanks again! *Biggrin

snickerzz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Running 8.1Pro RTM, will I get the win10 upgrade? - Similar Threads - Running 1Pro RTM

2. What is Windows 8 RTM Core ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is Windows 8 RTM Core ?: I want to know what version of Windows 8 RTM Core is, what version it can be activated for, can I activate Windows 10 to run my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-windows-8-rtm-core/5fb08e59-0917-464a-8215-b2020be47c3d
  3. What is Windows 8 RTM Core ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is Windows 8 RTM Core ?: I want to know what version of Windows 8 RTM Core is, what version it can be activated for, can I activate Windows 10 to run my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-windows-8-rtm-core/5fb08e59-0917-464a-8215-b2020be47c3d
  4. Win10 RTM Professional Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 RTM Professional Retail: I just reinstall windows 10 on my laptop and i entered product key from my brother CD. Disc inside cover says "WINDOWS 10 PRO FOR OEM SOFTWARE". I discovered later that it is illegal to resell and buy OEM or Volume license. But when i check my windows version it says "Win10...
  5. Win10 RTM Professional Retail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 RTM Professional Retail: I just reinstall windows 10 on my laptop and i entered product key from my brother CD. Disc inside cover says "WINDOWS 10 PRO FOR OEM SOFTWARE". I discovered later that it is illegal to resell and buy OEM or Volume license. But when i check my windows version it says "Win10...
  6. Win10 RTM Professional Retail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Running windows 8 upgraded to 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running windows 8 upgraded to 10: My computer crashed hard. I did nothing but come home from work and all I had was Windows 10 lost all my programs Now I get this message that say's to reconnect drive file history. I'm no computer whiz-bang. But I don't understand I have found where drive D is turned off...
  8. YES, Windows 7 RTM and Windows 8 Are eligible for free upgrade offer

in Windows 10 Support
    YES, Windows 7 RTM and Windows 8 Are eligible for free upgrade offer: There are a lot of people going around telling people that you have to be on Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to be eligible for the free upgrade. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Any consumer x86/64 version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.x (ie, not corporate versions) is eligible for the free...
  9. RTM upgrading(clean install)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RTM upgrading(clean install): Been using each release since the initial release, but, haven't seen anyone address this question. Given that Win 7 and 8 will get a free upgrade, will we have the option, given a valid 7 install, to install it cleanly to, say a new SSD? Or will MS require us to do an...
  10. What does Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM mean?

in Windows 10 Support
    What does Win 8 RTM Core OEM:DM mean?: I have a ASUS computer that was preinstalled with Windows 8.1... What version of Windows 8 do I need to install... 43895