Windows 10: Running a Unix alongside Windows 10

Discus and support Running a Unix alongside Windows 10 in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I have windows 10 latest running on a PC. I now need to run some version of Unix/Linux on the same machine for some weird software. What is the best... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Peborgh, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Peborgh Win User

Running a Unix alongside Windows 10

I have windows 10 latest running on a PC. I now need to run some version of Unix/Linux on the same machine for some weird software.

What is the best way to arrange this?

Thanks,

peter

:)

Peborgh, Apr 7, 2021

2. Unix Commands in Windows Power Shell

Dear Microsoft,

I would like to thank you for emulating the Unix commands in the Windows 10 PowerShell. I have been migrating my development environment from Unix to Windows and being able to use my Unix muscle memory to list, copy, remove, and execute files has been a
    hugely helpful!

jessethepro, Apr 7, 2021
  3. Which Unix Do You Use?

An embedded Linux on my NAS *Smile Running a Unix alongside Windows 10 :)

Also, since this is about Unix based OSes, why is everyone listing their Windows version? Besides, how is Unix related to a mac vs PC discussion?

DanTheBanjoman, Apr 7, 2021
  4. ST Kent Win User

Services for Unix 3.5 uninstall from windows 7 to allow upgrade to windows 10 (SFU 3.5)

Sure - unfortunately none of them work. All suggestions are basically: Try installer x - where that installer does not see the App installed, or go back to a recovery disk (which I don't have). I suspect there are some Registry Keys I can't see that need
    to be cleaned out and the App installers don't work because whatever the main one is is not there! e.g. on [Solved]Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5 Completely Uninstalled - its says the following. But
    these keys don't exist! So I'm no netter off!

2. Delete registry entries of Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5 CAREFULLY

• *HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5
    • *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5
    3. Search throughout the hard drive and delete all associated files

• *C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5
    • *C:\Documents and Settings\A\Application Data\Microsoft Windows Services for Unix 3.5

ST Kent, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Running a Unix alongside Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Running Unix alongside

2. Computer BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when running anything alongside a game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when running anything alongside a game.: I tend to multitask when playing games meaning I often have a discord call running or I am watching youtube, however for these past few months I have been getting blue screened anytime I have something heavier running. Example: I play Baldur's Gate 3, it works okay for the...
  3. Problem with ssh to a unix server from Window 10 or 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with ssh to a unix server from Window 10 or 11: I have a MIT Kerberos ticket. I have also established a VPN connection.I can login to a UNIX server at work using PuTTY on my Windows Desktop.But I cannot login to the same UNIX server using Visual Studio Code from the same Windows Desktop.I get Permission denied...
  4. Running Windows Defender alongside another antivirus application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running Windows Defender alongside another antivirus application: Hi there,We currently use FortiClient as our AV solution but is it possible to also have Windows Defender running at the same time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-windows-defender-alongside-another/9ab44e75-c401-4224-8fa9-80827d8a824d
  5. Running Windows Defender alongside another antivirus application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running Windows Defender alongside another antivirus application: Hi there,We currently use FortiClient as our AV solution but is it possible to also have Windows Defender running at the same time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-windows-defender-alongside-another/9ab44e75-c401-4224-8fa9-80827d8a824d
  6. Running Windows Defender alongside another antivirus application

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. how to install Windows on Unix laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to install Windows on Unix laptop: I need some general guidance on how to download and install Windows on a laptop that only has Unix installed. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-windows-on-unix-laptop/7acca66c-9789-4192-b3b6-2d405c83f29a
  8. Running Microsoft word 2010 alongside Word 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Running Microsoft word 2010 alongside Word 2016: Hi All, We have an application that is currently running Windows 7, 32 bit office install. The application needs upgrading to Windows 10, and will therefore have a 64 bit install of office2016. We have been told by the application vendor, that they have clients who are...
  9. Install Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu: I want to install Windows 10 on my pc that I'm currently running ubuntu on. In the past when I attempted to install windows and ubuntu, it erased all of my linux partitions in the process. How do I prevent Windows from accessing, erasing, or modifying these partitions during...
  10. Here's How To Run Firefox 56 alongside Firefox 57

in Browsers and Email
    Here's How To Run Firefox 56 alongside Firefox 57: With so many long time Firefox users not happy having to see so many of their legacy addons no longer compatible with the new Firefox 57 Quantum upgrade, here's a simple solution so you can have the best of both the old and the new Firefox. • First be sure to make a backup...