Windows 10: Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10

Discus and support Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I came across this forum while troubleshooting and I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am trying to enable an old screensaver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Smartish, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Smartish Win User

Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10

Hi everyone, I came across this forum while troubleshooting and I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am trying to enable an old screensaver from 2005 (Win XP era) to run on my Win10 home PC.

It is called Rainy Screensaver from Elastic Systems (now defunct.) I loved this screensaver and I would love to be able to use it again. I have it installed and registered (legitimate license) on my computer running win 10 Pro (version 2004). The screensaver previews properly in the screensaver thumbnail window, I can open the config tool and adjust the display settings, and I have the .scr file in the system32 folder. When I try to run the screensaver, I get an error that reads "Rainy Screensaver could not draw to this display. Another graphically intensive application is running that has frequent or exclusive access to the display. Rainy Screensaver won't run while this application is active." I have no apps running currently.

Would anyone know a trick to running legacy screensavers? I would be thrilled to be able to run this again. I would also like to add that I re-downloaded the exe today and installed it on a win7 laptop and it worked without any issues.

Thank you for reading, and thank you even more if you can give me any advice.

:)

Smartish, Mar 26, 2021

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 26, 2021
  3. screensaver versus no screensaver

On Windows XP, the screensaver was running even when the montior was off which is a waste. Ever since I discovered that, I simply turn screensavers off and have the monitor power down in 5 minutes or less.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 26, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Running screensaver

2. Why does this show when trying to apply a screensaver "this screensaver can't run because...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does this show when trying to apply a screensaver "this screensaver can't run because...: When I try and apply a screensaver it says "this screensaver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that is compatible with Direct3DI prefer to use the time for my screensaver, and have it bounce back and forth, that is not an option on this Dell Snapdragon...
  3. Why does this show when trying to apply a screensaver "this screensaver can't run because...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does this show when trying to apply a screensaver "this screensaver can't run because...: When I try and apply a screensaver it says "this screensaver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that is compatible with Direct3DI prefer to use the time for my screensaver, and have it bounce back and forth, that is not an option on this Dell Snapdragon...
  4. Default Bubbles Screensaver can't run in Windows 11? See error message Brand new Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Bubbles Screensaver can't run in Windows 11? See error message Brand new Laptop: See screenshot. I get this error message when trying to run the default bubbles screensaver. Yes windows is fully updated and Intel says all my drivers are, I downloaded their update assistant tool .Ideas what to do?Carbon Slim 7i, 12th gen intel....
  5. Default Bubbles Screensaver can't run in Windows 11? See error message Brand new Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Bubbles Screensaver can't run in Windows 11? See error message Brand new Laptop: See screenshot. I get this error message when trying to run the default bubbles screensaver. Yes windows is fully updated and Intel says all my drivers are, I downloaded their update assistant tool .Ideas what to do?Carbon Slim 7i, 12th gen intel....
  6. Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Running a windows XP screensaver on Windows 10: Hi everyone, I came across this forum while troubleshooting and I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am trying to enable an old screensaver from 2005 (Win XP era) to run on my Win10 home PC. It is called Rainy Screensaver from Elastic Systems (now defunct.) I...
  7. Can I run the lock screen slideshow and the screensaver at the same time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I run the lock screen slideshow and the screensaver at the same time: I want to run both the screen lock slideshow and the screensaver can I run both. At present can't run both. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-run-the-lock-screen-slideshow-and-the/83f0f1fc-aec1-468f-83b1-bfd81a4e2393
  8. Identifying my personal photos when running as screensaver in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Identifying my personal photos when running as screensaver in Windows 10: Hi. I have thousands of digital photos- from ones taken in the 1990's, when the only way you got digital photos was having them burned to a CD, to my current photos taken with my cellphone and digital camera. While I use back up services like Google Photos and OneDrive, I...
  9. Can't add a shortcut key to run screensaver

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't add a shortcut key to run screensaver: I want to assign a short cut key to PhotoScreensaver.scr. I have created a shortcut icon on Desktop. When I open Properties, it shows "Shortcut key: None" but it doesn't allow me to change it. When I click Advanced, "Run as administrator" is grayed out. I log on as...
  10. Is there any way to setup a screensaver that runs over the screen image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to setup a screensaver that runs over the screen image?: I know it was possible in older versions of Windows to run a screensaver like bubbles in front of the screen image, the bubbles float in front of the page that was displayed. This appears to not be possible anymore? I would like to continuously display my planner on my...