Windows 10: Running an HDD chkdsk command makes my screen refresh every second?

Discus and support Running an HDD chkdsk command makes my screen refresh every second? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys so I've been having tons of troubles with BSODs so one last resort I thought of was running chkdsk on both my SSD and HDD. On SSD it finished... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VeryColdTuna, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Running an HDD chkdsk command makes my screen refresh every second?

Hey guys so I've been having tons of troubles with BSODs so one last resort I thought of was running chkdsk on both my SSD and HDD. On SSD it finished with no issues at all, yet now during the D: command it keeps refreshing my desktop every second. Interestingly enough, I can still access task manager and I can still see the cmd window showing me progress of chkdsk

Question is, should this concern me? After all, I read that monitor flickering MIGHT be a software issue, so could this happening now theoretically be a good sign? Or should I just restart the pc because this is damaging?

Thanks for answers in advance!

submitted by /u/VeryColdTuna
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VeryColdTuna, Mar 15, 2020

2. Windows10 - Black Screen only when second hard drive plugged in

Hi, Shaun.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way.

Before I can provide assistance, I would like you to answer the questions stated below:

• Did you get any Error message or Error code when you tried to connect to the second HDD?
      • Have you tried to plug the HDD into other computer and check if the same issue arises?
      • Did you try any troubleshooting step to resolve the issue?

If you can access the drive through your computer or some other system, I suggest that you try the steps mentioned below and check if issue persist.

Step 1: With the HDD connected to the system log into Safe Mode and check if the issue arises there as well.

Step 2: If there are any bad sectors on the hard disk then Windows cannot read those files. So in order to find if there are any bad sectors on the hard disk, I suggest you to run Check
    Disk Using check disk command for any errors on hard disk and check if it helps.

Warning: Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process. Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted .For safety
    you can back up your data before using the check disk command.

Use the check disk commands as follows:

a. Press Windows Key + X, then choose Command prompt (Admin) from the context menu.

b. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.

c. Type at the command prompt CHKDSK /P and press ENTER to scan the disk.

d. Then type CHKDSK C: /F /R and press ENTER to repair corrupt sectors, if there are any.

Note: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Once chkdsk completes, boot to the desktop and then check.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 15, 2020
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Chkdsk doesn't run on restart in Windows 10

Hi Shane,

Looks like you are having issues running the CHKDSK utility. This could be caused by a few things, first we need to make sure that it's not your hardware input devices such as your keyboard or mouse causing the action to skip the disk check process.

Alternatively, we recommend that you run the command below to modify the delay countdown to 0 second.

• chkntfs /T:0

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Mar 15, 2020
  4. Running an HDD chkdsk command makes my screen refresh every second?

Windows 10 randomly turning screen off or going into Standby Mode

Hi,

There might be a chance that there is some HDD corruption. So, I would suggest you to scan your HDD using chkdsk command from the elevated command prompt.

Steps to run CHKDSK command.

• Press windows key + X
    • Select Command prompt (Admin) from the list.
    • Press OK the
      UAC
      prompt if shown. That will open an elevated command prompt. (It will show Administrator in the caption.)

Then enter the chkdsk command

chkdsk c: /f (or other drive letter if applicable)

Confirm to run on next startup and reboot.

Computer can’t run a disk check while actively using Windows, but you can schedule it to start automatically the next time your computer is turned on.

When the disk check is finished, your computer will automatically reboot. The disk check will fix any problems it encounters in your hard drive.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

Running an HDD chkdsk command makes my screen refresh every second?

1. Running an HDD chkdsk command makes my screen refresh every second? - Similar Threads - Running HDD chkdsk

2. My screen refreshes and gets blurry once every few seconds sometimes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screen refreshes and gets blurry once every few seconds sometimes: Sometimes my laptop screen starts "glitching" where things on the screen especially words get fuzzy and blurry. I have tried to find the issue but to no avail. Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?I tried attaching a screenshot of the issue but whenever I take a...
  3. My screen refreshes and gets blurry once every few seconds sometimes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My screen refreshes and gets blurry once every few seconds sometimes: Sometimes my laptop screen starts "glitching" where things on the screen especially words get fuzzy and blurry. I have tried to find the issue but to no avail. Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?I tried attaching a screenshot of the issue but whenever I take a...
  4. Windows 11 entire home screen refreshing every 1 second

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 entire home screen refreshing every 1 second: Windows homescreen goes black every 1 second, I have no taskbar. I cannot open any apps. I can open windows terminal prompt through taskbar manager but the chkdsk, scannow, and dism commands do not work. I have 1 monitor it's a acer nitro 5 gaming laptop. I have 32gb of ram...
  5. Windows 11 entire home screen refreshing every 1 second

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 entire home screen refreshing every 1 second: Windows homescreen goes black every 1 second, I have no taskbar. I cannot open any apps. I can open windows terminal prompt through taskbar manager but the chkdsk, scannow, and dism commands do not work. I have 1 monitor it's a acer nitro 5 gaming laptop. I have 32gb of ram...
  6. Shift + p makes my screen refresh!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift + p makes my screen refresh!: Hi there! Very random and annoying situation with my computer. Whenever I press shift + p to make a capital p my screen refreshes. I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find anything to solve this problem. I've disabled sticky keys, keyboard shortcuts, etc. Appreciate...
  7. Windows 10 keep refreshing screen and taskbar for every second ...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keep refreshing screen and taskbar for every second ...: My windows 10 lenova pc has been refreshing screen for every secondsI see only the flickering os screen and task bar. I read almost evey forum suggesting run task manager. But due to this refreshing I couldn't do anything on it. I don't have any idea how to resolve this...
  8. Chkdsk running on every boot for ssd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Chkdsk running on every boot for ssd drive: Pc randomly restarted by itself a few nights ago and ever since chkdsk runs on every boot for my ssd drive. Wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if chkdsk is now scheduled automatically to run every time? Because there are no issues and pc seems to be...
  9. Widows 10 screen refresh every 1 second after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Widows 10 screen refresh every 1 second after update: Hi. I have a Windows 10 desktop. Earlier today it went through a very long auto update. Since the update my screen refreshes every second making it impossible to do anything apart from open the task manager. I have already searched for solutions online using using my...
  10. chkdsk running at every boot, can't stop it

in Windows 10 Support
    chkdsk running at every boot, can't stop it: Hello! I recently set my Windows 10 computer to run chkdsk at the next reboot. Well, I just rebooted, and chkdsk is failing. It pops up the standard "Checking drive C:" message for a split second then I get a BSOD with the error "CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED". I figured it's...