Windows 10: Running an old pc game on a new Dell pc running windows 10

Discus and support Running an old pc game on a new Dell pc running windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi. While doing a clearout I have come across a very old pc game, Grim Fandango, bought way back in the day, which i would love to be able to play... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CaraFinnigan, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Running an old pc game on a new Dell pc running windows 10

Hi. While doing a clearout I have come across a very old pc game, Grim Fandango, bought way back in the day, which i would love to be able to play again on a 2017 Dell laptop running windows 10. What do i need to do to be able to run it on my current laptop? I have seen various bits of guidance on websites but am unsure whether the advice/websites are legit. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Finn

:)

CaraFinnigan, Apr 21, 2020

2. Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

Explore Windows 10 OS, Computers, Apps, & More | Microsoft

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Apr 21, 2020
  3. hugh750 Win User
    will windows 10 be able to run old pc games??

a while back i was trying out one of the windows 10 previews on a hp laptop, and i installed max payne (1st one), it used to run just fine on windows xp home edition on that laptop (it's now running windows vista home premium, but that game has sound issues
    on that os).

will windows 10 be able to run old pc games as well as current ones??

hugh750, Apr 21, 2020
  4. Running an old pc game on a new Dell pc running windows 10

Beginner – Transferring files from old PC to new PC, both running windows 10.

I'm trying to find a solution in layman terms please.

Bought a new PC running windows 10, my existing PC runs windows 10 and I just want to transfer everything from old to new machine – what is the best way to do this so that when I go to my new PC it's effectively set up the same as my old PC?

I use Microsoft Outlook 2013 for my email and I'm about to buy a copy of office 2016.

I intend to use windows 10 backup to copy my files to an external drive on my old PC, can I then use this backup to restore the files to my new PC?

Also, can anyone suggest a good antivirus/malware program to run on my old PC to make sure not taking any "problems" with me?

All help gratefully appreciated.

Gary Gary Gary, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

Running an old pc game on a new Dell pc running windows 10

1. Running an old pc game on a new Dell pc running windows 10 - Similar Threads - Running old game

2. transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...: how can i get rid of this pop up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferred-files-programs-etc-from-my-old-pc/0948e6fc-5b38-47e1-a8cc-65250cf80d6e
  3. transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...: how can i get rid of this pop up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferred-files-programs-etc-from-my-old-pc/0948e6fc-5b38-47e1-a8cc-65250cf80d6e
  4. transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Will Tiny11 run faster on old pc?

Will Tiny11 run faster on old pc?: So my house computer had windows 7 on it. I decided to upgrade it to windows 10 for free You know micorosft was offering windows 7/8.1 to windows 10 . Well it was a mistake because windows 10 is full of bloatware and doesn't run as smoothly as windows 7. And it has been over...
  6. Will Tiny11 run faster on old pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Tiny11 run faster on old pc?: So my house computer had windows 7 on it. I decided to upgrade it to windows 10 for free You know micorosft was offering windows 7/8.1 to windows 10 . Well it was a mistake because windows 10 is full of bloatware and doesn't run as smoothly as windows 7. And it has been over...
  7. Will Windows 10 run on a Dell 486P/xx PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Windows 10 run on a Dell 486P/xx PC?: Will Windows 10 run on a Dell 486P/xx PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-10-run-on-a-dell-486pxx-pc/d0fcb9d8-089b-491c-970b-e2c5660bf284
  8. Tried installing old PC games and they won't run

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried installing old PC games and they won't run: I tried installing Star Trek: Armada, Hoyle Word Games, and Star Trek: Starship Creator. Armada and HWG didn't open at all, and Starship Creator did, but only half the functionality was there. I was also planning on RollerCoaster Tycoon (the original), and Hoyle Board Games,...
  9. Good PC, Games not running

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Good PC, Games not running: I just purchased an iBUYPOWER Gaming PC, Model TRACE940 from my local bestbuy. I got it all set up, installed geforce experience as well as the drivers associated with my graphics card (GTX 1060). The first game I initially installed and played was of course fortnite, which...
  10. Old game wont run on new computer

Old game wont run on new computer: My old computer crashed and I purchased a new one. Both came with windows 10 but now an old game will not run though it did on the old one. Game comes with DirectX 3 but it is being blocked somehow. Any ideas as to a fix?...