Windows 10: Running as a different user / Administrator

Discus and support Running as a different user / Administrator in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I work in a large enterprise and found that many users on the service desk / 2nd line support are having issues when running applications such as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jamesharris1904, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Running as a different user / Administrator

Hi,

I work in a large enterprise and found that many users on the service desk / 2nd line support are having issues when running applications such as CMD, Active Directory, SCCM etc as a different user (signing in with their Admin Account)

When they sign in as a different user it takes around 5 minutes to launch or to even show the "user account control authentication" message.

I have tried to run a sfc /scannow and tried ta clean boot and non have fixed.

Anyone experienced this or got solutions

Thanks in advance

James

:)

jamesharris1904, Nov 25, 2019

2. Windows 10 Administrator's Permission Needed. I AM THE ONLY USER!

Hi Quinton,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern that you are unable to play the game Civilization IV Gold Edition after upgrade to Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

Please do let us know the following information to understand the issue and assist you better:

• As you have already created new user account, have you tried to log-in with that account and access the game?
    • Is this issue confined only to the specific game?

I suggest you to try few of the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: I suggest you to check the number of user accounts created on your laptop and also to ascertain the administrator account.

• Press Windows + R key together on your desktop screen.
    • Type netplwiz and hit Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

I suggest you to enable built-in administrator account, try to log-in with that account and access the game to check if there is any issues with the current user account.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt.
    • Type the following command and hit Enter: net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    • Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.
    Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Hope it helps. Try the above troubleshooting steps, reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 25, 2019
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Nov 25, 2019
  4. Running as a different user / Administrator

Run as administrator in Windows 10

Hi George,

Thanks for reply.

I would suggest you to sign-out from your current user account, restart your computer and try logging in with different administrator account and check if you are facing the same issue. If you don't have another administrator user account then follow
    the below steps:

To create new local administrator account.

• In the search box type
      Control Panel.

• Click on User Accounts.

• Select Make changes to my account in Pc settings.

• Next select family and other user
      present on the left side of the page.

• Click on Add someone to this pc
      option available.

• Now select Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended).

• Next click on Local Account Tab and create a local account and click
      Finish Tab.
    Once the local account is created, click on the local account and select
    Change account type tab and select Administrator.

Your Local Administrator Account is created now. Sign out from your Microsoft Account and Sign in into your new Local Account.

Try the above step and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

Running as a different user / Administrator

1. Running as a different user / Administrator - Similar Threads - Running different user

2. "Run As Different User" no longer works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Run As Different User" no longer works: I work in the IT department for a community college. For a while, especially with the Covid-19 pandemic, we used a workaround for doing one-time installs remotely, especially if it was a program that wouldn't work with our managed deployment for whatever reason. We would...
  3. "Run As Different User" no longer works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Run As Different User" no longer works: I work in the IT department for a community college. For a while, especially with the Covid-19 pandemic, we used a workaround for doing one-time installs remotely, especially if it was a program that wouldn't work with our managed deployment for whatever reason. We would...
  4. Run as different user asks for email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run as different user asks for email: Previously Run as different user asked for account name as it can be seen on the screenshot below:Now, I have only option for entering email address instead of account name:Use different account doesn't do anything.Is there any option for entering account name instead of...
  5. Run as different user asks for email

Run as different user asks for email: Previously Run as different user asked for account name as it can be seen on the screenshot below:Now, I have only option for entering email address instead of account name:Use different account doesn't do anything.Is there any option for entering account name instead of...
  6. Run as different user asks for email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. make a shortcut to Run as a different user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    make a shortcut to Run as a different user: The company I work for has a group policy setting that makes it so that "run as administrator" doesn't work when I'm logged in as a normal user. I don't get prompted to enter a username and password for my "T2" admin account.However, I can shift-right-click on something and...
  8. Run as different user missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Run as different user missing: Hello there, I have recently discovered that the "Run as different user" option is missing for file explorer. I just did a bunch of updates. When I hold the Shift key and right click something like CMD or RDP, it shows this option in addition to run as admin. I have found...
  9. Run User Program As Administrator

Run User Program As Administrator: I want to create a small program (bat, exe, PowerShell, whatever) to delete all Event logs. I want to put this on the C drive (not a shortcut on the desktop), double-click it, and it runs. I don't want to have to right-click and choose Run as administrator. Approving the UAC...
  10. Run as different user in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Run as different user in Windows 10: How to: Run as different user in Windows 10 How to 'Run as different user' in Windows 10 [img] Information Run as different user allows a user to run .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, and .msi files with different permissions than the user's current logon provides. Run as...