Windows 10: Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive

Discus and support Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Is it possible to run chkdsk on a Bitlocker drive? I would like to run chkdsk but as this is the system disk when it reboots will it be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Caledon Ken, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive

Is it possible to run chkdsk on a Bitlocker drive?

I would like to run chkdsk but as this is the system disk when it reboots will it be able to process if the drive is bitlockered?

Would I first have to decrypt?

V1909 18363.1316

:)

Caledon Ken, Jan 14, 2021
  2. Paola Gar Win User

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Jan 14, 2021
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive

1. Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive - Similar Threads - Running Chkdsk Bitlocker

2. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Customization
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  3. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  4. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  5. CHKDSK not running with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHKDSK not running with bitlocker: Am trying to run chkdsk on a bitlocker encrypted system drive. It looks like it starts on reboot but does not process as it takes maybe 10 seconds then it kicks to windows when a chkdsk /b /r on this hardware should take 20 min. Have tried to suspend bitlocker and get same...
  6. CHKDSK not running with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK not running with bitlocker: Am trying to run chkdsk on a bitlocker encrypted system drive. It looks like it starts on reboot but does not process as it takes maybe 10 seconds then it kicks to windows when a chkdsk /b /r on this hardware should take 20 min. Have tried to suspend bitlocker and get same...
  7. CHKDSK not running with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Running CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running CHKDSK: Hi, i run chkddsk and this is the result but im not sure what to do about it, maybe i should just reinstall win10?C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkddsk 'chkddsk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk The type of...
  9. Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive: Is it possible to run chkdsk on a Bitlocker drive? I would like to run chkdsk but as this is the system disk when it reboots will it be able to process if the drive is bitlockered? Would I first have to decrypt? V1909 18363.1316 172307
  10. CHKDSK not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK not running: I have errors on C: and scheduled checkdisk to run on restart. The issue is it goes through the countdown for pressing a key to cancel, then it says checking for errors on c but then after a few seconds the screen goes black and goes straight to the windows log in screen....