Windows 10: Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens

Discus and support Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's newest version of Windows 10, Windows 10 20H2, appears to have a bug that may damage the file system of the Windows partition and cause... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 19, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens

Microsoft's newest version of Windows 10, Windows 10 20H2, appears to have a bug that may damage the file system of the Windows partition and cause blue screens during reboots. Reports suggest that running ChkDsk on these devices may damage the file system and cause blue screens on the first reboot of the system after the check disk operation completes.

Günter Born provides details on the issue on his blog.

He narrates how one administrator discovered (German forum link) the issue after upgrading systems to Windows 10 20H2 and running the command chkdsk c: /f after the update installation. The command checks drive c: for errors to repair them right away if any are found.

Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens checkdisk-windows-bug-blue-screen.png

The command would find numerous errors in a file called "9" and an error in the BITMAP attribute of the Master File Table according to the report.

The devices threw the stop error NTFS File System on reboot. Analysis of an active device, with check disk run already, showed that the Windows drive partition was returned as a RAW partition, suggesting that the repairs of the Check Disk tool damaged the NTFS file system.

Further analysis provided the following information:

• Systems with Windows 10 20H2 appear to be affected.
    • The issue seems to affect Solid State Drives. One user reported that a VM system with a platter-based hard drive was affected as well.
    • The cumulative update KB4592438, released on December 8, 2020 as part of the December 2020 Patch Tuesday, seems to be the cause of the issue.

Other factors are not clear at this point in time. It is unclear if all devices running Windows 10 version 20H2 are affected or if a subset of devices that match certain characteristics are. It has been confirmed that a fresh Windows 10 20H2 installation is not affected.

Administrators should back up the Windows partition prior to running Check Disk on devices running Windows 10 20H2 with the December 2020 update installed.

Microsoft has not confirmed the issue.

Now You: Have you noticed anything of this kind on Windows 10 20H2 systems?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 19, 2020
  2. Redii Win User

NETBIOS.SYS Blue screen

New here I'd suggest to follow
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    Add your system specs and dump.

I am here due to my own issue, I don't know a lot about this field though I'd like to add some suggestions if I may. In no way will I be offended if you choose to look passed my advice as I'm not certified or have a high understanding in such areas...

A quick google search derived of your statements lead me to:
    "Causes of Netbios.sys Errors
    • Incorrectly configured, old, or corrupted MSDN Disc 5 device drivers. (very common)

• Corruption in Windows registry from a recent netbios.sys-related software change (install or uninstall).
    • Virus or malware infection that has corrupted the netbios.sys file or related MSDN Disc 5 program files.
    • Hardware conflict after installing new Microsoft hardware, or hardware related to netbios.sys.
    • Damaged or removed system files after you’ve installed software or drivers related to MSDN Disc 5.
    • netbios.sys blue screen caused by a damaged hard disk.
    • netbios.sys STOP error due to memory (RAM) corruption."

From this (and a couple other searches) I would suggest... Updating drivers. Memtest86 being ran. If you have Mcafee, uninstalling it and using MSSE and/or malwarebytes (running a scan). Running the command "sfc /scannow" as admin in cmd.

I hope this is able to aid you in some way, pleasant computing.

Redii, Dec 19, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    Startup Blue Screen

Hi Jon,

Startup blue screen error(s) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly. It could be due to the following:

• Outdated device software drivers
    • Corrupted Windows update system files
    • Software/Security conflicts

We would like to know some information:

• Did you get any blue screen stop error codes?
    • Have you tried booting in Safe mode?

We suggest that you check this
    article
    about troubleshooting blue screen errors and follow the troubleshooting steps provided there.

We will wait for your response

Remon Ont, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens

my system keeps on crashing. (blue screen)

Hello Harrison,

A stop error (also called a "blue screen" error) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly. These errors can be caused by both hardware and software issues.

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your device?

Meanwhile, we recommend performing the suggested steps in this article to troubleshoot blue screen issues
    on Windows 10.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens

1. Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens - Similar Threads - Running ChkDsk 20H2

2. Blue screen windows 10 20h2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen windows 10 20h2: * Moved from Community CenterMicrosoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.25136.1001 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File [D:\Minidump\112322-14500-01.dmp]Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available*************...
  3. Blue screen windows 10 20h2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen windows 10 20h2: * Moved from Community CenterMicrosoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.25136.1001 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File [D:\Minidump\112322-14500-01.dmp]Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available*************...
  4. Blue screen windows 10 20h2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Corrupt or Damaged System File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt or Damaged System File?: My Thinkpad laptop crashed, I got the BSOD. Restarting took much longer than usual, and the start button and taskbar icons are missing. What's left is very slow, and is mostly unresponsive. I can get into most files and programs through desktop shortcuts and a file manager....
  6. ChkDsk damaged file system external Intenso3T HD, now found.00

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ChkDsk damaged file system external Intenso3T HD, now found.00: On March 14 my Fujitsu W380, running on Windows 10, had boot problems. At first it stayed in Fujitsu bootscreen, at restart It stopped at status 90 (init harddiskcontroller) for hours. After powerdown and restart it took a while, possibly with Intenso3t connected for some...
  7. ChkDsk damaged file system external Intenso3T HD, now found.00

in Windows 10 Support
    ChkDsk damaged file system external Intenso3T HD, now found.00: On March 14 my Fujitsu W380, running on Windows 10, had boot problems. At first it stayed in Fujitsu bootscreen, at restart It stopped at status 90 (init harddiskcontroller) for hours. After powerdown and restart it took a while, possibly with Intenso3t connected for some...
  8. Windows 10 20H2 Blue Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 20H2 Blue Screen: Got a blue screen on a week old install of Windows. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b 0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff8003182b341, 0xffffa600255e6ed0, 0x0000000000000000. A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  9. ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs: Windows 10 20H2: ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs with Update KB4592438 installed 170826
  10. Windows 10 Critical Update Caused System to Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Critical Update Caused System to Blue Screen: A critical windows update was installed on my system 12/12/18 at 5:15 a.m.. This morning (12/13/18) a blue screen appears with a message saying the automatic repair failed. Reference to log file D:\windows\system 32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt. I have tried to reboot and...