Windows 10: Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

Discus and support Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all.. Im trying to help a friend out, his laptop packed it in the other day. Its a ~6 month old Asus laptop, Win10 Home (10.0.17134.1).. Fault is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by celicafiend, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

Hi all..

Im trying to help a friend out, his laptop packed it in the other day. Its a ~6 month old Asus laptop, Win10 Home (10.0.17134.1)..

Fault is upon booting, the ASUS logo and spinning circle come up .. and then once enough time has passed and you'd expect a login screen, the screen stays blank, hard drive access seems to continue.. and if i move my finger around on the touchpad, a mouse cursor will come in and out of the blackness, occasionally transitioning into the blue circle..

Booted into WinRE, command prompt.. used sfc /scannow, it found some errors it couldnt fix.

Ran dism checkhealth, scanheath and then restorehealth.. his factory install doesnt seem to have a SXS directory, so I extracted an install.wim from the sources directory of an 1803 build ISO I had here.

My restorehealth run fails consistently, as it tells me it cant find the wim Im pointing it at.

dism /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /scratchdir:c:\scratch /source:wim:e:\install.wim:1

E: is a hard drive sitting in a USB dock, attached to the system Im messing with.. I can navigate there and see the install.wim file sitting there, in the cmd window..

dism log attached, any help very much appreciated..

:)

celicafiend, Jan 17, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

This is not completely true. The suggestion is to download the Techbench version and use DISM to apply to install.wim directly. However, you can also use the version download from MCT except it will involve an extra step as follows:
    1. Use the latest version of 7-Zip to extract the content of install.esd. For example: to a folder xxx on the desktop
    2. From Admin command prompt:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\xxx\windows /LimitAccess

See screen shot, the contents of install.wim and install.esd are exactly the same.

Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify.. [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 17, 2019
  3. m0nt3 Win User
    Can't get SFC and DISM to work anymore on Win10

have you tried specifying the source for DISM? We have had a few computers at work give the unable to find source error on Online DISM

m0nt3, Jan 17, 2019
  4. poud Win User

Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

Source to use for DISM on Windows 10

hmm...

I assumed they were the same all along so I tried simply COPYING the .esd AND the .wim out, and tried to use them but that didn't work either. Now that you mention EXTRACTING it out, that maybe makes more sense.

I thought the .esd version was encrypted. Does 7-zip take care of that?

Thema:

Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

1. Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify.. - Similar Threads - Running DISM refuses

2. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.: Have tried all suggested methods from various sources.. Start with DISM /ScanHealth command which completed and returned a 'repairable' result, and then tried the /RestoreHealth, which had the error 0x800f081f source not found.Then performed the DISM command...
  3. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.: Have tried all suggested methods from various sources.. Start with DISM /ScanHealth command which completed and returned a 'repairable' result, and then tried the /RestoreHealth, which had the error 0x800f081f source not found.Then performed the DISM command...
  4. DISM refuses to complete RestoreHealth even with a valid source.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Request: DISM - Need DISM to check Source is valid before running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Request: DISM - Need DISM to check Source is valid before running.: Need DISM to verify source exists typed in correctly before process starts.It runs for minutes only to come back and report source is not available.My system seems to be infected. Corruption was detected. I ran DISM to repair, only to report source is not available.I did run...
  6. Request: DISM - Need DISM to check Source is valid before running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Request: DISM - Need DISM to check Source is valid before running.: Need DISM to verify source exists typed in correctly before process starts.It runs for minutes only to come back and report source is not available.My system seems to be infected. Corruption was detected. I ran DISM to repair, only to report source is not available.I did run...
  7. Request: DISM - Need DISM to check Source is valid before running.

8. Dism RestoreHealth requires source option to specify the location of files

Dism RestoreHealth requires source option to specify the location of files: Windows 10 is starting very slowly and the Dism command shows an error that can not be fixed without a source file. Where do I get the source file? Thank you, Gary...
  9. DISM Source Not specified?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM Source Not specified?: Whenever i do sfc scan it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". Then whenever i do dism health check it says to specify a source. I tried that also with both .esd and .wim file by specifuing it but still it is saying to specify the...
  10. Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running DISM, it refuses to recognize the /source I specify..: Hi all.. Im trying to help a friend out, his laptop packed it in the other day. Its a ~6 month old Asus laptop, Win10 Home (10.0.17134.1).. Fault is upon booting, the ASUS logo and spinning circle come up .. and then once enough time has passed and you'd expect a login...