Windows 10: Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install.

Discus and support Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; You cannot run vmware and hyper-v at same time, but you can set up windows to do one or other, selecting which at boot time, From an administrative... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Oct 28, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install.

You cannot run vmware and hyper-v at same time, but you can set up windows to do one or other, selecting which at boot time,

From an administrative command prompt make a copy of current boot menu and label it with a suitable label e.g. "No Hyper-V".
    Note the first command gives you a GUID and you then copy it and use it with the second command.

C:\>bcdedit /copy {current} /d "No Hyper-V"
    The entry was successfully copied to {ff-23-113-824e-5c5144ea}.
    C:\>bcdedit /set {ff-23-113-824e-5c5144ea} hypervisorlaunchtype offThe operation completed successfully.

No you can boot in hyper-v mode or vmware mode.

:)

cereberus, Oct 28, 2016
  2. gaisuru Win User

Running Windows Phone 8 emulator on remote hyper-v server

I typically do my development in a VM running in a Windows 2012 Hyper-V Server. With the Windows Phone 8 SDK, the emulator runs in the local hyper-v install of the Windows 8 pro. That does not work if the main os is running in a hyper-v already. So my
    question is, can you change the default hyper-v server of the Windows Phone SDK to run on a different hyper-v installation (like one running on another computer)?

So for instance, the emulator would run off a my remote hyper-v server instead of the development vm it is installed on? If this capability is not allowed default, could someone (thinking of myself) create a plugin to allow for this configuration of the emulator?
    Just looking for some guidance as to how the emulator works.

gaisuru, Oct 28, 2016
  3. Microsoft® SAPI 5.1 voice technology in Windows 10 ????

Hi,

I use the add-on for my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (only "game" with i like it) and use the Microsoft® SAPI 5.1 voice technology. The win10 has this app inside (SAPI 5.1)? My add-on returns error (need five or more voices) to run... (works fine in
    XP - WinXP compatibility mode d oesn´t work in this case). Can i install the Microsoft® SAPI 5.1 voice technology in Windows 10? Other question... in Hyper-V mode (XP) the register of Windows 10 and the Hyper-V are the same... if i use the Hyper-V to run
    an app and licensead it in the register (?) the same program run in Windows 10 appear "licensead". If not, the program run in Hyper-V "comunicate" with other run Win10 at same time.

Thanks

Martin.

Tin Master, Oct 28, 2016
  4. veldthui Win User

Does it work with the Server 2012 R2 or 2016?

Hyper V is corrupting my drives when it shuts down so might try VMWare

veldthui, Oct 29, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    No idea - all this does is allow you not to activate hyper-v services so you can run vmware.

cereberus, Oct 29, 2016
  6. veldthui Win User
    I may give it a try. I need to update my old Exchange server and I was thinking of Exchange 2013 as stable but I now find out by trial it does not install under Server 2016 just because the GUI is no longer available in 2016. Would have to go for Ex2016 if I wanted to updated to Server 2016. Sounds very expensive so might give it a miss now. Would still love to find out why Hyper V under 2012 R2 and 2016 is corrupting my drives on the Hypervisor shutdown.

veldthui, Oct 29, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

This has been posted several times -- OK I agree it's better than having to uninstall / re-install HYPER-V each time - but this actually is one of the (VERY RARE) cases where I WOULD suggest a Dual boot. That way you can keep the HYPER-V system totally separate from the one running VMware. You won't pay extra for software licences you've already installed on Windows.

Note -- the same principles apply to VirtualBox as well as VMware - these products don't run when HYPER-V is enabled (and vice-versa).

Depending on what you need to do on the HYPER-V system you could make that a minimal windows install if most of your main work is done on the other system - or even on the VM's.

I'm actually running 2 concurrent Windows VM's with HYPER-V running on both of them -- with a decent processor and fast (Hardware RAID 0) HDD setup the performance of the 2nd level VM is fine !!!!!! (Host --Linux CENTOS 7-->VM Windows 10 Pro X-64, running HYPER-V---Windows 7 VM

2nd VM also Windows 10 PRO X64 running HYPER-V with XP as the VM.

TIP though --for people encouraged to try this sort of stuff out (2nd level VM's --i.e a VM running on a VM) you need to ensure :

1) Host is as efficient as possible -- Windows 10 is not really suitable for this since it's essentially designed as a Non server single user system -but it CAN be done.

2) You need PLENTY of RAM -- at least 16 GB - better 32 or even 64 GB RAM.

3) decent processor -- ideally something like dual Xeon - or anything with HYPER THREADING --although the average i7's will work.

4) Above all FAST HDD's -- about 85% of the bad performance I've seen with most people's computers is usually the appalling SLOW consumer grade HDD's they have in them -- FAST HDD's with a decent size cache and of course some type of hardware RAID.

5) The HOST OS should ideally run headless and act simply as the server - but provided you aren't doing too much work on it then you can of course have a GUI etc. Put the HOST OS on an SSD if at all possible.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 29, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

This rather depends on your needs - I use Hyper-V mostly but have a vmware install that I use occasionally - to set up a completely separate Windows install is over-kill in my case.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install. - Similar Threads - Running hyper vmare

2. Running Android in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running Android in Hyper-V: Is there a way to run android in hyper-v? I want hyper-v for Ubuntu and many android emulators don't work alongside hyper-v. It will be ideal for me if you can run Android in hyper-v. I used Nox before but I can't use it with hyper-v....
  3. Hyper-V installation

Hyper-V installation: I have Windows 10 PRO and just turned on Hyper-V to set up a virtual machine. Everything went well until I tried to install the operating system. I bought a version of windows 10 home for this purpose but its on a USB drive and the installation setup doesn't accept this...
  4. Hyper-V Installation

Hyper-V Installation: Hello all, Thanks to everyone who replied to my las question in regard to installing Microsoft's "Virtual PC" program on my Windows 10 Pro machine. I asked if there was a Microsoft program, such as "Virtual PC," which I had installed on my Windows 7 Professional machine -...
  5. Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer: How to: Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer [img] Information When hypervisor is enabled at boot of computer, only Type 1 Hypervisors like Hyper-V can run virtual machines. To run virtual machines on Type 2 Hypervisors like VirtualBox or VMware, hardware...
  6. Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature: I am using Windows 10 Insider Preview 11082 (upgraded from Windows 1151 fully updated. I had installed the Hyper-V feature in the latest Windows 1151 but had not used it before I received and installer the Insider Preview edition. The Hyper-V Manager was configured OK...
  7. How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?

How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?: If there is a tutorial already, I cannot find it here as most of the hyper-V references are about getting Hyper-V working. I have: - Physical Notebook running Windows 10 Home (with key of course) - Physical Notebook running Window 10 Edu (with key of course) - Hyper-V...
  8. Error when installing Hyper-V

Error when installing Hyper-V: I thought I would try out Hyper-V for the first time ever. However I'm getting an error message when installing it. [img] 17535
  9. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  10. Clean install 15014 in hyper-v

Clean install 15014 in hyper-v: I have created an iso using the uup to iso tutorial and it works fine to upgrade existing VMs, setting iso as a dvd. I am trying to clean install it in hyper-v overwriting an existing vm (do not want to change existing vm id) and have set it as a dvd, and changed boot...
Tags: