Windows 10: Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Discus and support Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by aether, Oct 24, 2015.

1. aether Win User

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10?

I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10...

Any help/pointers would be great as I need to use Hyper-V for my course and VMware for work. *Wink

Thank you.

Solved - that method works!

:)

aether, Oct 24, 2015

2. Cannot turn off Hyper V, cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMWare machines

Since the latest update:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Verion: 1607

OS Build: 14393.222

I can no longer turn off Hyper V and thus cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMware machines.

When I attempt to turn off Hyper V and restart Windows as requested, Windows simply re-enables Hyper V.

Then when I try to run a Virtual Box machine, I get an error like this:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Centos 70.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code:

Component:
    ConsoleWrap

Interface:
    IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

When I try to start a VMware machine, I get this:

VMware Player and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Player.

But as I have noted, I am not able to turn off Hyper-V since the Anniversary Update.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph Heaphey, Oct 24, 2015
  3. Hyper V

Please Mississippi State IT student do not respond. The last of you that replied didn't know what the hell he was talking about. I will repeat my question. I opened Hyper-v and ran Fedora for about three days. I got a free copy of VMware. VMware and
    Hyper-v are not compatible. I have VMware for 30 days, I have Hyper-v forever. How do I disable Hyper-v so that VMware does not see it?

Robber_joey, Oct 24, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

I have VMWare Workstation 10 installed. Once I enabled Hyper-V to test something but then VMWare would not load. It would display a message that is not compatible with Hyper-V and I should disable it to use it again. I disabled Hyper-V and I am now able to use VMWare again. So yes, you can do it, but not at the same time. To use VMWare you must disable Hyper-V. If you want to use Hyper-V you can temporarily enable it but then you cannot use VMWare. I see no reason enabling Hyper-V if you have VMWare, unless perhaps to use an old virtual machine created with Microsoft Virtual PC or Windows Virtual PC or Hyper-V. But again this machine can be imported and converted to VMWare, I have done that and then I only had to install VMWare Tools to get the drivers.

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  5. Sn1p3r Win User
    *Biggrin HAHA Same here i am student of MCSA so i need Hyper-v and but i love using VMWare.

I too tried to run but couldn't

I Must also try the link that u gave *Smile

Thanks

Sn1p3r, Oct 30, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    As said before, you can have VMWare installed and then enable Hyper-V, but then you cannot use VMWare until you disable Hyper-V. They cannot be used at the same time because they conflict for resources.

spapakons, Oct 30, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Same with VBOX -- you can't have HYPER-V running at the same time as these other systems. Just boot with different option depending on what virtualisation software you want.

My own view is that if you want to TEST HYPER-V but prefer VMware workstation / player - simply using an SSD create a VM which has HYPER-V installed -- just create a minimal Windows VM with HYPER-V. Now install a guest on that VM.

The VM in a VM won't be too horrible if your main machine (Host) has a decent amount of RAM and a decent SSD - especially if you only want th HYPER-V system for testing purposes. You will have to run this combo on an SSD though - a spinner will degrade performance too much even on a machine with a fast processor.

For INDIVIDUAL machines processing power (so long as you have at least an i3 or better) is not normally the bottleneck with VM's -- it's often lack of RAM but above all SLOW DISKS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine? - Similar Threads - Running Hyper VMware

2. How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 News
    How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine: [ATTACH]VMware ESXi is an enterprise-class, type-1 hypervisor developed by VMware for deploying and serving virtual computers by integrating vital OS components, such as a kernel; since as a type-1 hypervisor, ESXi is not a software application that can be installed on an OS....
  3. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine: I know it's been out in beta a while, but the new Version of VMware workstation (15.5.5) is now out which can be installed on a system with Hyper-V active. This is great if you need to do testing with both Hypervisors. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Note that this...
  4. Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer: How to: Run Hyper-V, VirtualBox and VMware on same Computer [img] Information When hypervisor is enabled at boot of computer, only Type 1 Hypervisors like Hyper-V can run virtual machines. To run virtual machines on Type 2 Hypervisors like VirtualBox or VMware, hardware...
  5. Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine

Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine: I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell...
  6. Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install.

Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install.: You cannot run vmware and hyper-v at same time, but you can set up windows to do one or other, selecting which at boot time, From an administrative command prompt make a copy of current boot menu and label it with a suitable label e.g. "No Hyper-V". Note the first command...
  7. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  8. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. Hyper-V fails to run a virtual machine saying hypervisor*isn't running

Hyper-V fails to run a virtual machine saying hypervisor*isn't running: Hi all, Title says it all. I'm using Win10 Enterprise edition Insider Preview 15007 on an Intel Core 2 duo based notebook with 4gb ram. When I tried hyper-v some months ago, it succeeded. I don't know why it doesn't run. Intel Virtualization Technology is on according...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. running vmware and hyper v on same machine

2. hyper-v and vmware on same machine

3. run hyper v and vmware same machine

4. hyper v and vmware same machine,
  5. vmware player and hyper-v are not compatible. remove the hyper-v role from the system before running vmware player.,
  6. run hyperv and vmware on same windos 10 machine 1809,
  7. v the same,
  8. vmware & hyper-v at the same time,
  9. hyperv and vmware on same machine,
  10. vmware and hyper v on same machine,
  11. run hyper-v and vmware on single machine,
  12. run vmware and hyper-v at same time windows 10,
  13. how to run vmware and hyper v on same machine,
  14. Install Hyper V & VMware Workstation in the Same Machine,
  15. use hyperv and vmware on same machine