Windows 10: Running Linux on Windows 10 easier with Hyper-V Quick Create

Discus and support Running Linux on Windows 10 easier with Hyper-V Quick Create in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Today, we’ve made running Linux even easier on Windows 10. With the Hyper-V Quick Create feature added in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, we have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Running Linux on Windows 10 easier with Hyper-V Quick Create

Source: Run Ubuntu virtual machines made even easier with Hyper-V Quick Create - Windows Developer Blog

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter

:)

Brink, Sep 17, 2018

2. Hyper-V Quick Create Problems

I cannot recommend the experience of using the Quick Create feature of the recent Windows 10 Hyper-V program. - at least for creating Windows 10 VMs.

While you can create a Hyper-V Windows 10 VM in 2 steps I have not found a way to specify the location of the VM at least initially. It will be created in the Docullments\Virtual Machines folder on your Onedrive. Then if you wanted to quicky upgrade from say the 16193 iso to the 16199 you will be attempting to sync potentially a very large disk image and hang your physical host as I did - requiring the file to be removed by unlocker after a reboot. My physical disk partition was 100% which mean the virtual drive was actually 25GB although Explorer pegged it at one-tenth that size.

I will probably try Quick Create on say a BSD or Linux VM sometime in the near future. But I will move it out of Onedrive - that's certain. But then again if I do that I may as well just create the VM normally.

martyfelker, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Rex99ny Win User

Where is the Hyper V Manager, How to I start it ?

I am trying to setup an XP virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro.

I followed the steps in Neil Peterson article of 5/9/2016.

System Requirements - done - ok

Install Hyper-V - done - ok

Create a Virtual Switch - skip

Create a Virtual Machine

Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager

These steps walk through how to manually create a virtual machine and deploy an operating system to this virtual machine.

• In Hyper-V Manager, click Action > New >
      Virtual Machine
      to bring up the New

Uhhhhhhhhh - this step obviously implies one knows

1) Where the Hyper-V Manager is

2) How to start the Hyper-V Manager

Isn't that odd ?

Rex99ny, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Running Linux on Windows 10 easier with Hyper-V Quick Create - Similar Threads - Running Linux easier

2. Hyper V - quick help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V - quick help: So I had this good working HyperV VM machine windows ; couple of years, working fine.Now suddenly it gives this error belowVirtual Machine Connection The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state of 'XXXXX'. 'XXXXX' failed to start. Virtual machine...
  3. How to activate a "quick create" Windows 10 in Hyper-V?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate a "quick create" Windows 10 in Hyper-V?: I used hyper-V "quick create" to create a Windows 10 dev environment, and I've been working with it for a few weeks, and have a lot of work tied up in it. I see that its license has expired and now it's spontaneously rebooting every few hours; how do I buy a license for it?...
  4. Hyper-V Quick Create Iso Location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper-V Quick Create Iso Location: Where does Hyper-V quick create put the iso file that it downloaded? I want to delete it or be able to use it for other applications. [ATTACH] Thanks,...
  5. Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection: I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but is there any way to speed up my RDP connection to an openSUSE guest running locally under Hyper-V? I'm using a NAT vSwitch to provide it with both Internet and host connectivity and remote over the static IP is has on...
  6. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...
  7. Create and run Hyper-V containers using Docker on Windows 10 desktop

Create and run Hyper-V containers using Docker on Windows 10 desktop: Create and run Hyper-V containers using Docker on Windows 10 desktop As you probably know the Windows Insider program allows to get preview Windows 10 builds to test the new features that are coming in the next major update of Windows. Since a few weeks, a new feature...
  8. Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Quick Create - Setup Ubuntu Linux virtual machine [img] Information Microsoft's cooperation with Canonical just took a giant leap. Will Cooke from Canonical announced new Hyper-V Quick Create Gallery virtual hard disk with pe-installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS....
  9. Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10: How to: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 How to Install CentOS Linux on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [img] Note A working and quite nice alternative for dual booting is to install various operating systems on a virtual machine. CentOS is...
  10. Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine: How to: Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine [img] Information Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 gave a facelift to Hyper-V as told earlier on Ten Forums. One of the new cool things is a new feature in Hyper-V Manager called Quick Create. With it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hypervquickcreate