Windows 10: Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Discus and support Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!! in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 6, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Hi there
    @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later.

Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software

Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft Docs

I followed roughly these instructions - but used CENTOS rather than Ubuntu as the Guest OS and had Windows 10 Pro CU edition (1703) for the Host. Note ignore the couchbase additions - I just installed the GUEST OS as normal.

Hyper-V: How to run Ubuntu (or any Linux) on Windows - The Couchbase Blog

Works fine with a bit of messing around - and to get the best I/O pass direct RAW HDD's to the VM and use the Linux software RAID (mdadm).

Response time seems to be fine however I'm going to download the FREE 2016 HYPER-V server edition and have a go with that as the overhead will be minimal on the Windows system.

I hope I can concurrently run 3 VM's --W10, XP and Centos. from what I've seen -- no problems - have 16GB RAM on host with 2 physical NICs and OODLES of HDD space -- (> 20 TB).

Finally note the HYPER-V 2016 Server has NO GUI so you'll have to do quite a bit with the command line. The HYPER-V tools to manage remote server is available as well as RDP.

If you are a stranger to working without a GUI this isn't for the faintt hearted but a lot of fun and great learning . Once you get it right it's MINIMAL overhead compared to VMWARE workstation on a Host machine - and in any case it's designed to be run headless.

You DO need to manage your VMs remotely though so ideally you'll need a second computer (laptop for example) to do this.

Logging on to the VM's though isn't a problem.

For people who NEED a GUI you can download the evaluation full blown 2016 Server -- 180 days free trial.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 6, 2017
  2. SarahKong Win User

Unable to install fall creators update 1709

Oh i see.

I use Ubuntu on a VM.

Windows 10 has Hyper-V so you can download Ubuntu and create a Ubuntu VM.

More work yes, but i like it because it is more isolated too.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-run-linux-di...

SarahKong, May 6, 2017
  3. gaisuru Win User
    Running Windows Phone 8 emulator on remote hyper-v server

I typically do my development in a VM running in a Windows 2012 Hyper-V Server. With the Windows Phone 8 SDK, the emulator runs in the local hyper-v install of the Windows 8 pro. That does not work if the main os is running in a hyper-v already. So my
    question is, can you change the default hyper-v server of the Windows Phone SDK to run on a different hyper-v installation (like one running on another computer)?

So for instance, the emulator would run off a my remote hyper-v server instead of the development vm it is installed on? If this capability is not allowed default, could someone (thinking of myself) create a plugin to allow for this configuration of the emulator?
    Just looking for some guidance as to how the emulator works.

gaisuru, May 6, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Kari, May 6, 2017
  5. Tonyb Win User
    Yes i was searching the internet how to setup ubuntu in hyper-v on windows pro i came here and first one i seen was your post awesome going to set this up now *Smile i wanted to play with it a bit and i got plenty of ram and hard drive space, whats a good amount of ram to give it and how much space should i allow it to have??

Tonyb, May 18, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    @jimbo45. You won't have any trouble running 3 concurrent VM's. The real limiting factor is always RAM. With a Core i5+ and 16GB of RAM, 4-5 VM's super easy. If you have the VM's running on SSD's, you will have enough IOPS to keep them quite happy.

pparks1, May 19, 2017
  7. Mystere Win User
    I'm not sure about Hyper-V Server 2016, but in the past Hyper-V Server was designed to assume membership in an Active Directory Domain, and required a bit of fiddling to get it to work properly if you're not in one. That may have changed in 2016, but I'm not sure.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!! - Similar Threads - Running Linux HYPER

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V on latest 20H1 build Linux VM's: Hi there On Linux VM's with HYPER-V on latest build 20H1 : In Non full screen mode you can't adjust the screen area so you can lose the bottom part of the screen. [img] In Full screen mode the Guest doesn't allow monitor size settings to full 1980 X 1080 I don't think...
  4. HYPER-V run VM in background question

HYPER-V run VM in background question: Hi there @Kari (sorry but you seem to be the acknowleged expert in this) If I have a HYPER-V VM running but I want to sign out (not logoff just sign out as a particular user) of Windows (the HOST) can the VM still run in background mode so other people can log on to it or...
  5. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  6. HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound

HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound: Hi folks trying an experiment I hadn't thought of before Going through some old junk I found a small mini USB sound and Mic adapter. Tested it on a Native CENTOS machine (the one with the radeon GPU where I couldn't get sound working in any case) Worked fine -- hardware...
  7. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...
  8. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  9. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  10. Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10: How to: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 How to Install CentOS Linux on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [img] Note A working and quite nice alternative for dual booting is to install various operating systems on a virtual machine. CentOS is...