Windows 10: Running Office '97 in Win 10

Discus and support Running Office '97 in Win 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have almost successfully loaded Office '97 on my new Win 10 computer.However, when I run msoffice.exe, the toobar is displayed, but each button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Quattz034, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Quattz034 Win User

Running Office '97 in Win 10

I have almost successfully loaded Office '97 on my new Win 10 computer.However, when I run msoffice.exe, the toobar is displayed, but each button appears as a query ie ?. I have tried changing the icon using the properties drop-down, but this does not solve the problem.How can I fix this?

:)

Quattz034, Dec 1, 2022

2. Microsoft Office 2019 Will Run on Windows 10, and Only Windows 10

I'm fairly sure I could get office 97 and up to run on 10... I can check on wednesday when I get my NAS back up if you insist...

ZeDestructor, Dec 1, 2022
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Office 97 running on Windows 10 Professional

Hi there
    @Hooby1

These days Virtual Machines can be very efficient and can run concurrently with your main OS
    Plenty of info on setting up and using VM's in the Virtualisation section of the Forum and of course on Google.

Why not install Windows 7 (or even XP) as a VM and run Office 97 on that - you can run Office 97 then until the end of the Universe if you want. Assign the W7 system 2GB RAM (will be more than enough for what you want).

If you only want Office 97 you don't need to install anything else on the VM and you don't need to bother with the fact that the OS is not supported any more and obviously won't get security updates.

Share the data with the W10 system and you are good to go.

For VM software use Virtual Box or VMWare's VMplayer - both free for home users.

These things are really easy to set up. Example here of VM's running on VMWare - Office 2007 on XP for instance - also 2 other VM's (different builds of W10) Running on a Linux NAS server -- identical interface and screens with VMWare if you run on Windows Host . You only need the one VM which will run easily on any modern(ish) laptop or similar.

Running Office '97 in Win 10 [​IMG]

If you have W10 PRO as your main OS you could even use HYPER-V (it's free of course) but if you aren't experienced in using Virtual machines I'd leave that one at least initially - you don't want to add extra complexity to the mix.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 1, 2022
  4. luck4less Win User

Microsoft Photo Editor from Office 97 on Windows 10

I so agree that office 97 Photo Editor was and still IS the Best photo editor ever created. serious

why MS doesn't repackage this product is inconceivable, nothing has ever compared in its simplistic use

fortunately I have an old laptop running Win 97 and office 97. will I ever upgrade it, Never. not unless MS can creat something as worth as photo editor 97

just My 2 cents, but MS you are loosing out on a massive market opportunity

SW

luck4less, Dec 1, 2022
Thema:

1. Running Office '97 in Win 10 - Similar Threads - Running Office '97

2. Running Office '97 in Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running Office '97 in Win 10: I have almost successfully loaded Office '97 on my new Win 10 computer.However, when I run msoffice.exe, the toobar is displayed, but each button appears as a query ie ?. I have tried changing the icon using the properties drop-down, but this does not solve the problem.How...
  3. Running Office '97 in Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Running Office '97 in Win 10: I have almost successfully loaded Office '97 on my new Win 10 computer.However, when I run msoffice.exe, the toobar is displayed, but each button appears as a query ie ?. I have tried changing the icon using the properties drop-down, but this does not solve the problem.How...
  4. Will office 2016 run on win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will office 2016 run on win 11: Hi, I want to know if office 2016 will run on windows 11ThanksKev https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-office-2016-run-on-win-11/0353d2a4-c596-4154-a0fd-f7eafd349860
  5. Will office 2016 run on win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will office 2016 run on win 11: Hi, I want to know if office 2016 will run on windows 11ThanksKev https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-office-2016-run-on-win-11/0353d2a4-c596-4154-a0fd-f7eafd349860
  6. Office 97 running on Windows 10 Professional

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 97 running on Windows 10 Professional: Before anyone asks why.... it is for legacy reasons due to a database that can't be updated as it has been custom built by someone that I no longer can ask to update. Here are the steps that have been done so far to being you up to speed: Installed Windows 10 Professional as...
  7. WIN 10 back up fails at 97% complete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN 10 back up fails at 97% complete: My last complete back-up took place on June 16, 2018. Since June 2012, I have been backing-up my computer (running WIN XP and WIN 7 prior to WIN 10, which came loaded on a new HP computer purchased in January 2018) using an external WD 1TB hard drive encased in a Sabrent...
  8. Office 97 files on Windows 10 Office 365

Office 97 files on Windows 10 Office 365: I know I've been very lax in sticking with Office 97 for years, but the time has finally come to go to Win 10 and Office 365. My question is regarding the Office 97 files (Excel and Word) which I currently have. Will they work under the 365 Excel and Word? They are not...
  9. Win 10 image backup hangs at 97%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 image backup hangs at 97%: I see this same issue being reports starting in 2016 with additional post in 2017, but I have not seen a resolution. Talking to the PC manufacture and Microsoft support resulted in no resolution. Yes, 3rd party software works, but I can't buy that for every system i sell....
  10. Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update

Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update: Hello All, I have been using the Word and Excel programs from Office 97 flawlessly until Microsoft's recent update. I have already tried uninstalling then re-installing. I've used the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and the "issues found" lists "incompatible...