Windows 10: Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad

Discus and support Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I need to know how to configure system settings or the registry so that Notepad may not start another instance of a text file when it is already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BerndStrauss, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad

I need to know how to configure system settings or the registry so that Notepad may not start another instance of a text file when it is already opened, in order to prevent confusion when I accidentally open the same file, make changes to it, and save it while another instance of the same file is open, with the result that when I make changes in the opened file and save it also, the latter changes overwrite the changes saved from the previous instance of the same file.

In Microsoft Word, when a file is open, the program does not start a separate instance of it when a user clicks on that file.

:)

BerndStrauss, Jun 8, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Bree, Jun 8, 2019
  3. john barr Win User
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%

i dont know what the problem is , looks like i need to format C

john barr, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Cricrazy Win User

Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad

Notepad++ one instance per each virtual desktop

Here is the hack that may work for you.

1. Two Portable Notepad++ in two separate folders. (It may work with one NPP installation, but two separate Notepad++ seem to be cleaner approach. You may also not need Portable Notepad++, but it may be easier that way.)
    2. Two or more virtual desktops

1. Open Notepad++ folder on the first Virtual Desktop.
    2. Right click on Notepad++.exe to create a shortcut.
    3. Right click on the newly created shortcut and go to its properties.
    4. Add -multiInst in the target section. (The text is case-sensitive, and there is a space at the beginning.)
    5. Click OK to close the properties.
    6. Double click on the shortcut.
    7. It should open the new instance of Notepad++ in that virtual desktop.
    8. Now switch to another Virtual Desktop. Open its own Notepad++ folder. And follow steps 2-7.
    9. To keep things organized, I kept two folders, VM1 and VM2 with the notepad++ folders in them. (VM being Virtual Machine)

• This would work as long as the Notepad++ window in a virtual machine was Active, i.e. you had touched it at least once.
    • This is because when you open text file (or your source code files), it opens in the Last Active instance of Notepad++.
    • I am assuming that you are not changing your virtual desktops very frequently, since that would nullify the actual purpose of virtual desktops.

• You can right click on GIF and open it in new tab to see the steps clearly.
    • GIF shows steps on one virtual desktop, you need to replicate it on the other too.

Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad [​IMG]

I hope it is helpful. Thanks.

Cricrazy, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad

1. Running Only One Instance of Opened File in Notepad - Similar Threads - Running Instance Opened

2. Notepad - Will it run code if I open a file with mischievous intent.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad - Will it run code if I open a file with mischievous intent.: Im looking to just view the contents of a file does notepad run code or xml commands if I open it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-will-it-run-code-if-i-open-a-file-with/1ad378d7-af5f-47d2-8f7f-45602915b043
  3. Notepad - Will it run code if I open a file with mischievous intent.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad - Will it run code if I open a file with mischievous intent.: Im looking to just view the contents of a file does notepad run code or xml commands if I open it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-will-it-run-code-if-i-open-a-file-with/1ad378d7-af5f-47d2-8f7f-45602915b043
  4. Notepad File Opening at Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad File Opening at Startup: A day i created a file with some informations about my Laptop and setted to auto-run when i log in my local account, now i want make the file stop running automatically when i login, i tried to delete but Notepad keeps opening. File was on my DesktopHow i can fix that?I put...
  5. File Explorer: removing one drive instances

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: removing one drive instances: I have 4 instances of Onedrive. 2 are my personal accounts and 2 are from a company I no longer work for and want to delete them from file explorer.i have delinked them and I have removed them from my C drive user folder - I really want to delete them from my computer file...
  6. .dat files now open only with notepad

.dat files now open only with notepad: Hey! Actually, .dat now opens up with only and only notepad. I don't know, how to change that to the no software as default. Please, help me with that....
  7. Json file opens in notepad

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Json file opens in notepad: Ok so dont hate me too much cause I dont know anything about programming So here's my problem I got a game and I found out you could mod the game and change the map for that you needed an json file of the map which you would overwrite one of your saved maps with and I...
  8. Files opening with Notepad

Files opening with Notepad: i have a issue where all my .rpf files are opening with notepad. how would i get them back to normal? the icon was a white piece of paper before if its any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-opening-with-notepad/97a85f6f-c2f4-43a6-9c92-1e4e69ddaf28
  9. debug-file-opens-in-notepad

in Windows 10 Customization
    debug-file-opens-in-notepad: A notepad file text below opens up whenever I boot up my desktop computer. What does it mean? How do I deal with this? [0312/211005.586:ERROR:process_info.cc329] VirtualQueryEx: Access is denied. 0x5 [0312/211005.587:ERROR:process_info.cc556] ReadMemoryInfo failed...
  10. Rar files opening in Notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Rar files opening in Notepad: I play games such as Sims 4 and I download custom content. A good portion of the stuff I download are RAR files. I accidentally clicked "Always open with notepad" and I can no longer get it to be just a normal file. I would like to know how to make it not open as a notepad...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. only one opened notepad